Pampa, TX Photo Album - All Pictures
Pampa: PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH exterior near the old downtown.
Pampa: A CONTEMPORARY SANCTUARY at the First Baptist Church evokes the more traditional one it replaced after a devastating fire.
Pampa: PAMPA TRAIN DEPOT. Pampa began as a site owned by the White Deer Land Company and designated as a station on the Southern Kansas Railway in the summer of 1887.
Pampa: NAIDA STREET, looking south, on the west side of town.
Pampa: OLD DERRICK BAR and several other taverns are located just outside city limits so they can serve customers alcoholic drinks on Sundays.
Pampa: PAMPA LUMBER: this photo was conceived about 1962 by a 10-year-old, when it was still a lumber yard, and shot in 2007 after a 45-year absence. Apparently it's a diner now.
Pampa: THIS WAY TO WAL-MART: In 2007, most of Pampa's retail business is growing north along the Hobart Street/Highway 70 corridor.
Pampa: HISTORIC "SHOTGUN" HOUSE, typical of post-WW2 residences built for employees of oil companies, was originally located in an employee "camp" alongside a refinery or plant. It is now located across the street from Central Park. The nearby town of Borger has many more of these.
Pampa: HOBART STREET UNDERPASS is a Pampa landmark.
Pampa: CENTRAL PARK: Red Deer Creek, which begins as a shallow wash in west Pampa, flows through Central Park and eventually carves a deep, widening break in the escarpment of the Llano Estacado on its 35-mile journey northeast to the Canadian River.
Pampa: BOWERS CITY PLANT of Phillips Petroleum occupied this site ten miles south of Pampa off FM Road 749 through the late 60s. The plant, scores of employee homes, an elementary school, a fire station, and a general store stood where only cows graze now.
Pampa: CLOSED RESTAURANT on West Foster Avenue in the historic downtown area.
Pampa: Sunrise at the feedlot
Pampa: BLACK GOLD MOTEL is typical of the post-WW2 era motels that line Highway 60 on the quieter east side of Pampa.
Pampa: Jim Brown, an Oneda Indian from New York, laid the bricks on Cuyler Street. The fastest brick layer that anyone had seen, he once laid over 67,000 bricks in seven hours, a North American record.
Pampa: St. Vincent De Paul Catholic Church located on the northside of Pampa
Pampa: RADCLIFF'S ROCK AND RELICS is a colorful presence on Hobart Street.
Pampa: PAMPA CITY HALL in the historic downtown area.
Pampa: ABANDONED MEDICAL BUILDING, once the tallest office building in Pampa, typifies the neglect of the downtown area after most retail business moved to the malls of north Pampa.
Pampa: GRAY COUNTY COURT HOUSE in the historic downtown area.
Pampa: SMOKIN JOE'S GRILL on West Highway 60 serves hickory smoked steaks and burgers.
Pampa: Cyler Street, the historical downtown's main avenue.
Pampa: STORMY SKIES hover over the escarpment of the Llano Estacado, one of the largest and most completely flat areas of its size in the world. Pampa is located on a jutting finger of this formation, so that moist air moving toward it from any one of three directions is lifted hundreds of feet up the relatively steep escarpment, causing instability and triggering storms.
Pampa: PAMPA HIGH SCHOOL, home of the Harvesters, has more than a thousand students enrolled and is well known for its football and band programs.
Pampa: FARMSTEADS AND SMOKESTACKS southwest of Pampa represent the staples of its economy, agriculture and light industry.
Pampa: WOODROW WILSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL on East Browning Street.
Pampa: PAMPA NEWS BUILDING in the historic downtown area.
Pampa: Dust Storm in Pampa TX early 1930's. Taken near S. Starkweather st.
Pampa: 45 YEARS had passed since photographer last saw his first home on Naida Street when this shot was taken.
Pampa: MODEST BUNGALOW in an older section of Pampa east of Cuyler Street.
Pampa: ABANDONED GAS STATION near the historic downtown area.
Pampa: MILO as far as the eye can see off Highway 70 south of Pampa.
Pampa: LA VISTA THEATRE lies crumbling on West Foster Avenue. From the 40s through the 60s, the old grindhouse played Roger Corman flicks and other low-budget movies.
Pampa: LAST REMAINING BUILDINGS of the Bowers City Plant crumble among shrubs and brush.
Pampa: CLOSED TIRE STORE on West Foster Avenue is listed in film location directories.
Pampa: BROTHERS CIVIC CLUB has few neighbors in a scarcely populated area of south Pampa.
Pampa: FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH has the largest congregation in Pampa.
Pampa: OLD ICE PLANT on East Tyng Avenue near the train depot is now abandoned.
Pampa: HIGHLAND GENERAL HOSPITAL was the new hospital in 1952, with architectural in the bold "moderne" style. It has since been replaced by a newer hospital and demolished. Historical photo used with the permission of the McGovern Historical Collections, Texas Medical Center Library, Houston, Texas.
Pampa: PAMPA GRAIN ELEVATOR stores some of the abundant wheat, corn, and grain sorghum grown in Gray County's sandy loam and black waxy soils.
Pampa: THE CONEY ISLAND CAFE, a Pampa legend, opened in 1933 and still serves one of the the best hotdogs to be found anywhere.
Pampa: POST-WW2 ERA Split-level home on East Browning Street
Pampa: HARVESTER BOWL on Hobart Street has been a popular recreation spot since the early 60s.