The Astor House Museum is located at 923 10th Street in Golden, Colorado. The facility was built during 1867 and was a rooming and boarding house until 1971. The Astor House rented out rooms and served hot meals to people from all walks of life for weeks and sometimes months at a time. The Golden Transcript commented on the fact that the name Astor House had been given to the hotel during July of 1867 and it was almost ready to open. It is smaller than the facility with the same name in New York.
At the time Astor House was built it was a common practice to call these places house instead of hotels because the offered the comforts people had at home and were smaller than hotels. At the time it was built the facilities were considered to be fancy. It was Golden's first stone building which assisted in establishing the prosperity and permanency of the young city. The building was constructed with eighteen inch stone walls by Seth Lake. Lake utilized local stone that had been hand cut for the building and there was originally a large barn and an outhouse at the facility.
The Lake House was a wooden building that the stone Astor House replaced. Mr. Lake never had a problem getting travelers to stay at the boarding house. It's placement behind the meeting hall for the Colorado Territorial Legislature which is currently Capital Grill make attracting guests easy. The convenience of stagecoach stops and Main Street made it an attractive place to stay. In 1885 the building was sold to C.W. Mon Pleasure who changed the name of the facility to Castle Rock House.
The Astor House changed hands many times until 1892 when it was purchased by Ida Goetze. Ms. Goetze rented out twelve rooms and renamed the facility Boston House. She began updating the facilities with an 1890's kitchen and a brick wash house on the back of the property. The family operated the facility until the 1950's. The first bathtub in Golden was installed by Ida Goetze making it easier to attract guests to the facility. She also had gas and water piped into the house.
Ms. Goetz made a deal to turn the house into a cafeteria for students of the Colorado School of Mines and the students were soon boarding at the facility. The Astor House was sold and marked for demolition during 1972.There was a parking lot planned for the space but the community was determined to save Astor House. In 1973 the facility became the Astor House Museum after it became a historic landmark.
The Astor House Museum has a dining room, kitchen and five rooms upstairs that are furnished. The rooms have early 1900 beds, chamber posts, derby rooms and a number of other things. There is even a Victorian water closet with a high tank toilet that is fully functional. The balcony provides a view of Golden's downtown and visitors can utilize binoculars to get a look at the landmarks surrounding the facility.