The Bixby Park began its history in 1938 when land was purchased from Bertha Bixby to increase the size of an existing park. The park continued to grow through gifts of land from the Bixby family to reach its current size today. During its early life, the park featured a goldfish pond, an aviary, a monkey cage, and concessions. In 1928, President Herbert Hoover spoke at the park during his presidential campaign. One of the most popular events at the park were the state picnics, a fun activity that sprang up in states across the nation. In 1965 more buildings were added to the park including a game area, a patio, a social hall, and a park maintenance shop. The recreation building later became a performance stage in the 1980's. Park renovations again occurred in the early 1990's when the roque and shuffleboard courts were removed and basketball and tennis courts were added, along with a playground update, hardscape improvements, and bench seating. A walking path was also constructed throughout the park. Tragedy struck in 2005 when a limb crushed a portion of the amphitheatre but it was restored in 2008, bigger and better than before. The park now features this bandshell and stage, a playground that meets federal safety standards, a community center, a skate park, barbecue pits, restrooms and sports fields.