The Department of Water and Power Building, located at 111 N Hope St, Los Angeles, CA, was designed by A.C. Martin Powers in 1964. It is made of glass and steel creating striking stacks of horizontal rows. While the building is not open for public tours, it is still a landmark that can be appreciated by the city's visitors.
Other nearby buildings include the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, the Walt Disney Concert Hall, the Ahmanson Theatre, the Mark Taper Forum, the Cathedral-Our Lady- The Angels, as well as several city and government buildings.
The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power is the largest utility company in the United States. It first offered electricity to Los Angeles in 1917 when the San Francisquito Power Plant began generating electricity. The department played a major role in the development of Hoover Dam and bringing its energy to Los Angeles. LADWP operated the Hoover Dan electrical facility until 1987.
In addition to servicing the city of Los Angeles, the utility also provides power to parts of Bishop, Culver City, South Pasadena and West Hollywood. Los Angeles has experienced only one total system black-out due to the Northridge Earthquake; however, much of the power was restored in a few hours.
City-data.com does not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of any information on this site. Use at your own risk.
Some parts © 2023 Advameg, Inc.
Review, comment, or add new information about this topic: