Embarcadero Center is a five block set up of various buildings near San Francisco's financial district. It is also a highly commercial region of the city. The Embarcadero Center has several complexes and is considered the largest in the Western United States. The Embarcadero Center has an interesting history dating to 1849, when the gold rush began and 700 vessels came through Golden Gate with gold rush prospectors. By 1862 the coast was named Barbary Coast. The Embarcadero Center sits on land that used to be full of prostitution, thievery and dance halls. This type of thing was popular until 1911, when Mayor James Rolph decided to clean up the district, shutting down a lot of the "bad" places by the 1920s.
In the 1950s an urban renewal project began in order to create the Embarcadero Center. Today there is roughly four million square feet of space in retail and office buildings. Four of the office buildings tower over the city, and are connected by shopping levels to help get shoppers from one building to the next. Over 100 retail shops, restaurants, services, and cinemas are found at this location. It is possible to reach it by the financial and waterfront districts through the Battery, Drumm Streets, Sacramento and Clay Streets.