Kezar Stadium is a historic stadium located in Golden Gate Park that has been home to the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders.
In 1922 Mary Kezar, a descendent of area settlers, donated $100,000 to the city of San Francisco. The city used these funds to build Kezar Stadium, which was completed and dedicated in 1925. The stadium has hosted various sports competitions since the 1930's. Both the 49ers and the Raiders began their history at this stadium. The 49ers played in this stadium until the 1970's when Candlestick Park was built.
The stadium was demolished and rebuilt in 1989 with a smaller seat capacity (10,000). Today it is used for high school football championships, track and field competitions, concerts, and other sports. It is the home field for the San Francisco Dragons, a Major League Lacrosse team.
By car Kezar Stadium is located 30 minutes north of San Francisco International Airport. The stadium is within a short distance of several San Francisco city parks, the California Academy of the Sciences, a Japanese Tea Garden, and National AIDS Memorial Grove. Tourists can also enjoy the USS San Francisco Memorial, Seal Rocks, Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Garden, or the Camera Obscura and Holograph nearby.