Kong Chow Temple


The Kong Chow Temple, located at 855 Stockton St. in San Francisco and in the midst of Chinatown, was founded by the Cantonese community in San Francisco in 1849. The temple was dedicated to the Chinese God of War, Guan Di, and houses a sculpture of him and the red, green, and gold altars, where members come to worship.

The temple was destroyed by the earthquake in 1906, but afterwards relocated to the current location on the fourth floor of the Kong Chow building in San Francisco Chinatown. It is said that in 1948 Mrs. Harry Truman visited the temple to pray and receive a prediction as to the outcome of her husband's election, which he later won.

Some of the most colorful altars of the entire city can be found in the Kong Chow Temple. Additionally, the balcony of the temple enjoys one of the nicest views of Chinatown. Visitors are welcomed inside, but photography and handling of objects inside the temple are prohibited.

The Kong Chow Temple is located 25 minutes north of the San Francisco International Airport by car and is within walking distance of several area attractions: Cable Car Museum, Chinese Historical Society of America, and San Francisco Chinatown Ghost Tour.

Review, comment, or add new information about this topic:

CAPTCHA

Discuss San Francisco, California (CA) on our hugely popular California forum.


City-data.com does not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of any information on this site.  Use at your own risk.
Some parts © 2019 Advameg, Inc.