Dedicated to President Abraham Lincoln in 1909, Lincoln Park serves recreational needs of the San Francisco area and is the site of the Lincoln Park Municipal Golf Course.
Built in 1909 on former cemetery grounds, Lincoln Park is the western end of the United States' first transcontinental thoroughfare, Lincoln Highway. This area was in use as a cemetery as early as 1860. In 1902, the city of San Francisco built a 3-hole golf course on the cemetery. In 1917, after the cemetery was relocated, the Parks Department turned over about 50 acres of the parcel to the United States as an addition to the Fort Miley Military Reservation.
Located on the northwestern corner of the San Francisco Peninsula, this park still totals 100 acres and has excellent views of the San Francisco Bay, the city of San Francisco, and the Golden Gate Bridge. In conjunction with two other parks (Land's End and Fort Miley), Lincoln Park offers many outdoor activities, scenic views, and historical landmarks.
Located just 5 miles west of downtown San Francisco, Lincoln Park is also convenient to other nearby tourist sites: Presidio of San Francisco, Land's End Trail, USS San Francisco Memorial, Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Garden, and Japanese Tea Garden.: