The Lowes State Theatre is one of the best known historic theatres in Los Angeles. It was once one of the most successful movie houses in the city. The theatre was designed by William Day and Charles Peter Weeks. It was built as the West Coast location for Loew's Metro Pictures. When Metro merged with Goldwyn Company in 1924, Metro-Goldwyn Pictures was created. Louis B. Mayer was also a part of the merger, and soon after the theatre company became known as the MGM, as it is called today. There were less than 200 theatres in the company during its heyday, but they were all lavish establishments and located in major metropolitan areas. The Loew's State opened in 1921 and was located at 7th and Broadway, one of L.A.'s busiest intersections. The first movie shown in the theatre was Liliom. It opened to an audience of major celebrities, including company owner Marcus Loew. Judy Garland performed at the theatre when she was a member of the Gumm Sisters group. The theatre became a part of the United Artists Theatre Circuit in the 1950's and was sometimes called the UA. The theatre was purchased by Sherill Corwin's Metropolitan in 1963. The building is now owned by the Delson Investment Company that ownes other theatres in the aera. The State holds 2,404 people and is currently in use as a church.
City-data.com does not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of any information on this site. Use at your own risk.
Some parts © 2023 Advameg, Inc.
Review, comment, or add new information about this topic: