The Marina Green is an area in San Francisco that consists of 74-acres of grassy land. It lies between the Presidio and Fort Mason, next to the San Francisco Bay. The area provides great views of Alcatraz, Angel Island, the Golden Gate Bridge and certain areas in Marin County. Houses were built in the area near the early middle of the 20th century. The marina that is located next to the Green is home to the St. Francis Yacht Club and the Golden Gat Yacht Club. Before the earthquake in 1906, the Green was just a tidal marsh. A lot of the rubble was placed in the area following the earthquake and eventually some of the material was used in building homes and the Palace of Fine Arts in the area. The Marina Green was temporarily used as an airfield and used in coast to coast mail delivery. The Green falls under the management of the San Francisco Parks and Recreation Department. The long flat area of the Green is used by area rollerbladers, joggiers, and bikers. There is also a volleyball court and sunbathing area, as well as some affordable restaurants in the area. The Green offers a few unusual dining and shopping destinations, making it a popular destination among locals who are bored with the usual stores around town.