The Northshore Mall opened during September of 1958 as an open air, outdoor shopping center. It was built in a field that Elias Hasket Derby once owned. Derby's daughter and son-in-law Nathaniel and Elizabeth West built Oak Hill Estate that Samuel McIntire designed. In 1850 it was sold to Richard S. Rogers for use as a summer residence. Parts of its interior were sold to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts by his son Jacob and his wife. The St. Joseph Juniorate was established by the Congregation of St. Francis Xavier which purchased the property during 1922.
Portions of the land were used for various forms of farming, fountains and gardens. In 1955 after the estate had been torn down the land was purchased by Allied Stores and the shopping center built. Beverly had been the original destination of the center. The original anchors where Sears, J.J. Newberry, Stop & Shop, RH Stearns, Kresge, Filene's and an adjoining Jordan Marsh. A cinema, bowling alley, and Kiddietown which was a small amusement park were the first recreational facilities in the Northshore Mall.
In 1960 the Northshore Mall became home to Mt. Carmel Chapel's St. Therese Society. It was the first chapel to ever be built in a shopping center which opened the door for other chapels to be placed in malls. The dental office, chapel gift shop and the chapel can all be gotten to from an elevator that is adjacent to the main entrance located by Joe's Bar & Grill. Peabody Police Department's Community Outreach Center is also in the mall.
Sears being expanded to a full-line anchor was among the changes that the Northshore Mall underwent during the 1970's and 1980's. The entire center was completely enclosed in 1972 starting with a small portion close to the Sears store. This was to assist the Northshore Mall in competing with the Liberty Tree Mall.
There was an underground tunnel for delivery incorporated into the original construction of the Northshore Mall in 1958 that went the mall's entire length. The cleared snow from the central concourse was dropped into dump trucks waiting in the tunnel through traps before the mall was enclosed. Today the tunnel is used to remove refuse and deliveries.
Allied gave an interest in the North Mall to Edward J. DeBartolo Sr. during 1986. New England Development acquired the mall in 1992. This lead to a massive renovation which expanded the mall to almost two million feet, this expansion was completed during 1994. The amusement park was replaced with a replacement store Filene's built at the mall's northwest end. There was also a new Lord & Taylor at this end, both stores opened during 1993. J.C. Penney was placed in the original Filene's and a food court was added to the mall.
The management of the Northshore Mall was taken over by Simon Property Group when the New England Development sold it to them during 1999. From 1994 until 2005 the structure and anchors of the mall remained mostly the same with the exception of Jordan Marsh changing its name to Macy's during 1996.