The Old Plaza Firehouse is located in the Old Plaza neighborhood of Los Angeles, California, known as the oldest section of LA. This well-known portion of the city of Angels is currently being restored with a large historic park. The Old Plaza Firehouse was built in 1884 by Dennis Hennessy and was the very first building formed in LA to house fire engine equipment.
One aspect of the design is a turntable in the floor so that the horses that pulled the fire wagon didn't need to be backed in or out. Once in position their harnesses were lowered from above allowing them to pull the fire wagon out of the station. Originally the firehouse was just used for the equipment of a fire company known as the Volunteer 38's because it was formed with 38 members.
The Plaza Firehouse was the first building renovated after the State of California and the City and County of Los Angeles created the El Pueblo de Los Angeles State Historic Park in 1953. The Plaza Firehouse, which was dedicated as California Historical Landmark No. 730 is now a museum. Admission to the Old Plaza Firehouse is free and open to the public. Tours are available.