For decades the Old Point Loma Lighthouse has guided ships into the San Diego Bay. Although the lighthouse has been refurbished throughout the years, the structure remains intact and standing guard to safely escort vessels through the heavy fog and weather. Since 1855 the lighthouse has been in operation and stands strong today capturing the essence of yesteryear. The original lighthouse was shut down in 1891 because sailing vessels could not see the lighthouse when dense low clouds and fog rolled in. A new lighthouse was immediately constructed.
The new lighthouse was built near the foot of the Point Loma cliffs near the Whale Overlook which was approximately 100 yards south of where the original lighthouse stood. The new lighthouse is in operation but not open to visitors. The Old Point Lighthouse can be seen by driving on the road that wind down the slope of the cliff to the Point Loma Tide Pools as well as a variety of scenic view points. The lighthouse hours of operation are from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm every single day of the year, including holidays and weekends. The nearby Bayside Trail closes at 4pm and the tide pools close at 4:30pm.