The Placita de Delories is a small plaza that commemorates Mexico achieving its independence from the country of Spain. The courtyard features a small replica of the Bell of Delores, as well as a mural painted by Eduardo Carillo and a plaque offering a dedication to the Uto-Aztecan linguistic family and descendants of the Shoshone tribe. The Placita was dedicated in 1979 and the dedication ceremony was attended by then-President Jimmy Carter. Carter spoke to ceremony attendees and included part of the plaque's inscription in his speed. It reads, "...Freedom is never permanently ours, despite the noble sacrifices of past generations. We must daily re-win the night against injustice and prejudice and ignorance, and against those in power who believe they know better than the people what is best..." The replica of the Bell of Delores was given to Lost Angeles by Mexico. Not only does it celebrate Mexican independence, it commemorates the formation of democracy in California. The bell is called the Bell of Delores because the first inklings of Mexican freedom began in the village of Dolores. The bell was run in 1810, signaling patriots to the Mexican fight for independence. It was this call to arms that began the Mexican War of Independence.