Telegraph Hill


Telegraph Hill runs along the end of Lombard Street in San Francisco, California. It was originally called Loma Alta by the Spanish and then Goat Hill by early residents. The current name was given in 1849 because of a structure built with the same name. A windmill was placed on top of the hill. It was used as a semaphore like system for ships, thus the hill and the windmill were like a telegraph hence the name.

Today the hill offers Coit Tower, which was built in 1933. It is a 210 foot tower in an art deco architectural design. Telegraph Hill offers a residential area around it, which is very quiet when compared to the life found just a few feet away at North Beach. Besides Coit Tower, Telegraph Hill is known for its gardens at Filbert Street. Filbert Street's Levi Plaza is known to have Red masked parakeets and parrots that hang out in the garden. They are said to be descended from escaped or released pets. They are native to Peru and Ecuador, though they live quite happily on the tree branches found near Telegraph Hill. Telegraph Hill can be reached by car or cable car.

Review, comment, or add new information about this topic:

CAPTCHA

Read about other San Francisco tourist attractions:

Discuss San Francisco, California (CA) on our hugely popular California forum.


City-data.com does not guarantee the accuracy or timeliness of any information on this site.  Use at your own risk.
Some parts © 2019 Advameg, Inc.