The Pilgrim is a ship located at Dana Point, California. The Pilgrim is a replica of the original ship. The original ship was created in 1825 for $50,000. The length of the ship is 90 feet, which is smaller than most vessels of the time. The ship was built for a voyage in 1834 for cattle trade. The owners of the vessel, Bryant and Sturgis used the ship to get their cattle hide from California to Boston. The Pilgrim was built in Boston with New England materials. It was loaded with shoes, ironware, and foodstuffs. When the ship arrived on the Alta California Coast the owners sold the goods.
At the time of its use the ship was moored at San Juan Bay or what is now Dana Point. The original ship was lost to a fire in 1856. Trade at this point was lessening anyway, but still the loss of the ship was damaging for the owners. The Pilgrim at Dana Point that one can tour was built in 1945 as a three masted schooner, which ran goods from Denmark. The ship was taken to Lisbon in 1975 by her captain, before being decommissioned in 1981 and becoming part of the Ocean Institute.