Tin Cup Mining Company came about in 1861 when Jim Taylor and two travelling companions stopped at the creek in Tin Cup for a drink, when they noticed gold at the bottom of their cups.
The town started mining silver and gold in the 1870s and was taken to the railroad to go to the smelters by mules and wagons. Many items were very expensive when the gold rush was at its height. Men would ski or snowshoe to get supplies then make a large profit when selling those items to other miners.
Tin Cup was one of the wildest mining camps in Colorado. There were many saloons, including Frenchy's Place where gamblers controlled everything. The gamblers hired marshals under a hear nothing; see nothing policy so that visitors to the town thought it was a place of law and order.
The town of Tin Cup became a ghost town after mining finished. Now there are many summer homes in the town and is also a tourist attraction. Places of interest include the cemetery which has been divided into four sections, Protestant Knoll, Jewish Knoll, Catholic Knoll and Boot Hill Knoll, some markers remain in Boot Hill Knoll such as 'Black' Jack Cameron who 'drew 5 Aces'.
Some of the homes of Tin Cup have been restored and are used as summer homes, which provide mountain views and lots of wildlife. The fire hydrants that were installed in 1891 can still be seen to this day.