|Median resident age:||49.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04406.
Abbot town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $105,256 (it was $65,700 in 2000)
- White alone - 700 (98.0%)
- Two or more races - 7 (1.0%)
- Hispanic - 4 (0.6%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.1%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.1%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.1%)
Ancestries: English (27.6%), United States (22.4%), French (17.3%), Scottish (12.4%), Irish (11.6%), German (8.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 01/31/1827
Land area: 34.7 square miles.Population density: 21 people per square mile (very low).
For population 25 years and over in Abbot:
- High school or higher: 81.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.8%
- Unemployed: 6.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Abbot town:
- Never married: 18.1%
- Now married: 63.3%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 11.0%
6 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Abbot, Maine as of February 01, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Abbot to the number of sex offenders is 590 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Abbot town:||1.0% ($656)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (113.5 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (215.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (374.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Guilford, ME (2.1 miles ), Parkman, ME (2.3 miles ), Monson, ME (2.5 miles ), Willimantic, ME (2.8 miles) , Sangerville, ME (3.0 miles ), Wellington, ME (3.2 miles ), Dover-Foxcroft, ME (3.4 miles ), Cambridge, ME (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 45.20 N, Longitude: 69.46 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
- Construction (14%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (12%)
- Textile mills and textile products (11%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (5%)
- Health care (16%)
- Textile mills and textile products (14%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (12%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Carpenters (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Entertainers and performers, sports, and related workers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (4%)
Earthquake activity:Abbot-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 214.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 255.4 miles away from Abbot center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 158.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 87.7 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 50.0 miles away from Abbot center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 124.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Piscataquis County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Augustus Pearl Martin - Union Army officer.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Abbot:
- Husson University (about 42 miles; Bangor, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 44 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 50 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 62 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 108 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 114 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 114 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Notable location: Abbot Village Station (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Old Cemetery (1), Blanchard Cemetery (2), Abbot Village Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Greenleaf Pond (A), Piper Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Alder Brook (A), Ladd Brook (B), Thorn Brook (C), Edes Brook (D), Lowell Brook (E), Howard Brook (F), Gales Brook (G), Brown Brook (H), Kingsbury Stream (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 36.1. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2001 was 28.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 5.04. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 19.3 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Abbot that have no violations reported:
- BALSAM WOODS CAMPGROUND (Population served: 150, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Abbot compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (75%)
- Wood (23%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Religion statistics for Abbot town (based on Piscataquis County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 33.64%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Church of Christ||LDS (Mormon) Church|
|Name||Evangelical Free Church of America||Church of the Nazarene||Assemblies of God||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Piscataquis County:||5.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||8.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
6.76% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($31,722 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Penobscot County, ME||1.61% ($26,069 average AGI)|
|from Somerset County, ME||0.48% ($19,400)|
|from York County, ME||0.41% ($42,000)|
6.64% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($29,779 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Abbot:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Abbot:
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WJCX (99.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, ME; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
TV broadcast stations around Abbot:
- W27CE (Channel 19; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Total length: 18 meters (59ft)
Total costs: $2,664,000
Total average daily traffic: 6,574
Total average daily truck traffic: 552
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 9,329
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: N1XMW, Licensee ID: L01194778
Grant Date: 09/21/2006, Expiration Date: 06/05/2016, Certifier: Lesley Weymouth
Registrant: Lesley Weymouth, Abbot, ME 04406
- Call Sign: KB1WPX, Licensee ID: L01686740
Grant Date: 02/03/2012, Expiration Date: 02/03/2022, Certifier: Ian A Maines
Registrant: Ian A Maines, 58 River Rd, Abbot, ME 04406
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150L (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 19206 , Serial Number: 15074236, Year manufactured: 1972, Airworthiness Date: 01/05/1973
Registrant (Individual): Howard C Weymouth, Po Box 4, Abbot, ME 04406
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Incident types - Abbot