Abbot: STATUE IN ABBOT
Abbot: Abbot E. Free Church
Abbot: the Maine House
Abbot: the center of abbot
Abbot: Over the bridge in Abbot looking north.
Abbot: Looking west over the fields on the back abbot road.
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||49.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04406.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $24,112 (it was $16,001 in 2000)
Abbot town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $108,606 (it was $65,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $146,333; Detached houses: $158,409; Townhouses or other attached units: $192,170; In 2-unit structures: $150,318; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $86,534; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $328,038; Mobile homes: $49,046
Races in Abbot, ME (2010)
- 70098.0%White alone
- 71.0%Two or more races
- 10.1%Black alone
- 10.1%American Indian alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Are people living outside the metro areas cushioned against falling home prices? Jan 21
- The global threat of Islamic terror Jan 19
- Exercise and sleep: which is more important for your health? Jan 17
- Motorcycle industry in the United States Jan 15
- Evolution of First Names: Unisex Names and Nicknames Jan 13
Ancestries: English (27.6%), United States (22.4%), French (17.3%), Scottish (12.4%), Irish (11.6%), German (8.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 01/31/1827
Land area: 34.7 square miles.
Population density: 21 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Abbot:
- High school or higher: 81.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.8%
- Unemployed: 6.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Abbot town:
- Never married: 18.1%
- Now married: 63.3%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 11.0%
6 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Abbot town:||1.0% ($656)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (113.5 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (215.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (374.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Guilford, ME (2.1 miles ), Parkman, ME (2.3 miles ), Monson, ME (2.5 miles ), Willimantic, ME (2.8 miles) , Sangerville, ME (3.0 miles ), Wellington, ME (3.2 miles ), Dover-Foxcroft, ME (3.4 miles ), Cambridge, ME (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 45.20 N, Longitude: 69.46 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (14%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (12%)
- Textile mills and textile products (11%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (5%)
- Health care (16%)
- Textile mills and textile products (14%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (12%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Carpenters (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Entertainers and performers, sports, and related workers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (4%)
Average climate in Abbot, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Abbot-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 214.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 255.4 miles away from Abbot center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 158.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 87.7 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 50.0 miles away from Abbot center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 124.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Piscataquis County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Augustus Pearl Martin - Union Army officer.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Abbot:
- Husson University (about 42 miles; Bangor, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 44 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 50 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 62 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 108 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 114 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 114 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Notable location: Abbot Village Station (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Old Cemetery (1), Blanchard Cemetery (2), Abbot Village Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Greenleaf Pond (A), Piper Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Alder Brook (A), Ladd Brook (B), Thorn Brook (C), Edes Brook (D), Lowell Brook (E), Howard Brook (F), Gales Brook (G), Brown Brook (H), Kingsbury Stream (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 36.1. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2001 was 28.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 5.04. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 19.3 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Abbot town (based on Piscataquis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Piscataquis County:||5.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||8.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.65% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||2.00% ($26,472 average AGI)|
|from Somerset County, ME||0.36% ($34,864)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.28% ($48,588)|
6.17% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Abbot:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Abbot:
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WJCX (99.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, ME; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
TV broadcast stations around Abbot:
- W27CE (Channel 19; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 15Number of bridges
- 46m151ftTotal length
- $4,876,000Total costs
- 34,586Total average daily traffic
- 2,639Total average daily truck traffic
- 48,728Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: N1XMW, Licensee ID: L01194778, Grant Date: 09/21/2006, Expiration Date: 06/05/2016, Certifier: Lesley Weymouth, Registrant: Lesley Weymouth, Abbot, ME 04406
- Call Sign: KB1WPX, Licensee ID: L01686740, Grant Date: 02/03/2012, Expiration Date: 02/03/2022, Certifier: Ian A Maines, Registrant: Ian A Maines, 58 River Rd, Abbot, ME 04406
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150L (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 19206 , Serial Number: 15074236, Year manufactured: 1972, Airworthiness Date: 01/05/1973
Registrant (Individual): Howard C Weymouth, Po Box 4, Abbot, ME 04406
Drinking water stations with addresses in Abbot that have no violations reported:
- BALSAM WOODS CAMPGROUND (Population served: 150, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Incident types - Abbot
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (75%)
- Wood (23%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Abbot compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.