|Median resident age:||49.2 years|
|New Hampshire median age:||43.9 years|
Zip codes: 03601.
Acworth town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $179,610 (it was $94,300 in 2000)
- White alone - 853 (95.7%)
- Asian alone - 13 (1.5%)
- Two or more races - 11 (1.2%)
- Hispanic - 7 (0.8%)
- American Indian alone - 5 (0.6%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.1%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.1%)
|Acworth/Sullivan County (4 replies)|
|Washington Post...NH is Best State to Live in USA (53 replies)|
|Hello all! Would like responses from all people from NH! (42 replies)|
|Relocation from GA to Grafton/Coos county (5 replies)|
|On our way to Sunapee (42 replies)|
|State of public schools in New Hampshire (30 replies)|
Latest news from Acworth, NH collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (24.2%), Irish (11.5%), German (11.4%), French (9.4%), United States (8.5%), Scottish (5.6%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1766
Elevation: 1489 feet
Land area: 38.9 square miles.
Population density: 23 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Acworth:
- High school or higher: 85.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 28.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.7%
- Unemployed: 1.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 33.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Acworth town:
- Never married: 20.5%
- Now married: 61.5%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 4.5%
- Divorced: 12.7%
28 residents are foreign born (2.2% Europe, 1.0% Africa).
According to our research of New Hampshire and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Acworth, New Hampshire as of March 28, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Acworth to the number of sex offenders is 917 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Acworth town:||2.2% ($2,050)|
|New Hampshire:||2.3% ($2,946)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (45.1 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (86.7 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (182.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Lempster, NH (2.3 miles ), Unity, NH (2.3 miles ), Langdon, NH (2.4 miles ), Alstead, NH (2.5 miles ), Charlestown, NH (2.6 miles ), Marlow, NH (2.8 miles ), North Walpole, NH (3.1 miles ), Goshen, NH (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 43.21 N, Longitude: 72.29 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 603
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (25%)
- Metal and metal products (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (3%)
- Food and beverage stores (3%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Health care (12%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Carpenters (17%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (9%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Secondary school teachers (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
Average climate in Acworth, New Hampshire
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Acworth-area historical tornado activity is slightly above New Hampshire state average. It is 42% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 27.0 miles away from the Acworth town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 6/9/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 51.8 miles away from the town center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Acworth-area historical earthquake activity is near New Hampshire state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 114.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 113.3 miles away from Acworth center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 39.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 112.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 127.6 miles away from Acworth center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 111.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Sullivan County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 10, Snows: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: George Weston Anderson - Judge, Joseph G. Wilson - Politician, Urban A. Woodbury - Governor of Vermont, Adrian Dubois - Soccer player.
Hospitals and medical centers near Acworth:
- MCGIRR NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; BELLOWS FALLS, VT)
- TRUSTING HANDS (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; NEWPORT, NH)
- CONNECTICUT VALLEY HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; NEWPORT, NH)
- WOODLAWN CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; NEWPORT, NH)
- VALLEY REGIONAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 13 miles away; CLAREMONT, NH)
- ELM WOOD CENTER AT CLAREMONT (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; CLAREMONT, NH)
- SPRINGFIELD HEALTH AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; SPRINGFIELD, VT)
Amtrak stations near Acworth:
- 10 miles: BELLOWS FALLS (DEPOT ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 12 miles: CLAREMONT (PLAINS RD.) . Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking.
- 20 miles: WINDSOR-MOUNT ASCUTNEY (WINDSOR, DEPOT AVE.) . Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, intercity bus service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Acworth:
- Keene State College (about 20 miles; Keene, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,098)
- Franklin Pierce University (about 33 miles; Rindge, NH; FT enrollment: 2,139)
- Dartmouth College (about 34 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 39 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
- Saint Anselm College (about 43 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 2,059)
- Southern New Hampshire University (about 44 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 16,552)
- Mount Washington College (about 45 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 2,187)
Public elementary/middle school in Acworth:
- Acworth Elementary School (Students: 39; Location: Turkey Shoot Rd.; Grades: K-4)
Notable locations in Acworth: Acworth Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company (A), Acworth Silsby Library (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Acworth: Acworth Congregational Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes: Chatterton Pond (A), Crescent Lake (B), Hilliard Pond (C), Mitchell Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Tracy Brook (A), Underwood Brook (B), Knight Brook (C), Honey Brook (D), Great Brook (E), Dodge Brook (F), Crane Brook (G), Bowers Brook (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Acworth: Acworth Town Common (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 86.0. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 3.66. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 10.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 22.9. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 10.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 13.3. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 10.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.02. This is about average. Closest monitor was 10.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
|New Hampshire:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Acworth compared to New Hampshire state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (47%)
- Wood (41%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (11%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Acworth town (based on Sullivan County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 33.87%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Church of Christ||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Methodist Church||Episcopal Church|
|Name||LDS (Mormon) Church||Conservative Baptist Association of America||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Sullivan County:||1.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sullivan County:||1.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sullivan County:||6.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.70 / 10,000 pop.|
5.80% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,914 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.07%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Grafton County, NH||0.94% ($44,975 average AGI)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.62% ($33,583)|
|from Merrimack County, NH||0.59% ($31,637)|
6.53% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($41,691 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.45%|
0.06% of residents moved to foreign countries ($824 average AGI)
Sullivan County: 0.06% New Hampshire average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Acworth:
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNBX (1480 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, VT)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKBK (1290 AM; 5 kW; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WTSV (1230 AM; 1 kW; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Acworth:
- WZSH (107.1 FM; BELLOWS FALLS, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WVRR (101.7 FM; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WXKK (93.5 FM; SPRINGFIELD, VT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WTPL (107.7 FM; HILLSBORO, NH; Owner: CONCORD BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WCFR-FM (96.3 FM; WALPOLE, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WFEX (92.1 FM; PETERBOROUGH, NH; Owner: FNX BROADCASTING OF NEW HAMPSHIRE LLC)
- WNTK-FM (99.7 FM; NEW LONDON, NH; Owner: SHEILA E. VINIKOOR)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
TV broadcast stations around Acworth:
- WEKW-TV (Channel 52; KEENE, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WVTA (Channel 41; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- WNNE (Channel 31; HARTFORD, VT; Owner: HEARST-ARGYLE STATIONS, INC.)
- W17CI (Channel 17; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: UPPER VALLEY BROADCASTING, LLC)
Acworth fatal accident list:
Aug 9, 1997 00:30 AM, Schools Rd, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
May 31, 1990 11:00 PM, 40178, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 23 meters (75ft)
Total costs: $37,500,000
Total average daily traffic: 3,250
Total average daily truck traffic: 243
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 4,810
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1900-1909: 1
- 1910-1919: 4
- 1920-1929: 1
- 1930-1939: 2
- 1940-1949: 0
- 1950-1959: 0
- 1960-1969: 2
- 1970-1979: 4
- 1980-1989: 0
- 1990-1999: 0
- 2000-2009: 1
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Acworth Fire Station (Lat: 43.209528 Lon: -72.293694), Call Sign: KNFA391
Assigned Frequencies: 154.430 MHz
Grant Date: 02/09/2012, Expiration Date: 03/29/2022
Registrant: Southwestern Nh District Fire Mutual Aid, 32 Vernon Street, Keene, NH 03431, Phone: (603) 352-8635, Fax: (603) 357-1985, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: N1UUO
Grant Date: 04/10/1995, Expiration Date: 04/10/2005, Cancellation Date: 04/11/2007
Registrant: Bruce H Adams, Acworth, NH 03601
- Call Sign: KB1TVV, Licensee ID: L01553321
Grant Date: 03/11/2010, Expiration Date: 03/11/2020, Certifier: Beanne R Sanville
Registrant: Deanne R Sanville, Acworth, NH 03601
- Call Sign: KB1TVW, Licensee ID: L01553322
Grant Date: 03/11/2010, Expiration Date: 03/11/2020, Certifier: Daniel R Sanville
Registrant: Daniel R Sanville, Acworth, NH 03601
- Call Sign: KB1TYU, Licensee ID: L01557215
Grant Date: 03/25/2010, Expiration Date: 03/25/2020, Certifier: Shirley B Sanville
Registrant: Shirley B Sanville, Acworth, NH 03601
- Call Sign: KB1TYY, Licensee ID: L01557218
Grant Date: 03/25/2010, Expiration Date: 03/25/2020, Certifier: Stephen Olson
Registrant: Stephen Olson, Acworth, NH 03601
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 5
- Hazardous Condition: 9
- Service Call: 1
Incident types - Acworth