|Median resident age:||44.3 years|
|Minnesota median age:||42.9 years|
Zip codes: 56431.
Aitkin city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $101,825 (it was $68,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $589.
- White alone - 2,489 (94.7%)
- Two or more races - 48 (1.8%)
- Hispanic - 36 (1.4%)
- American Indian alone - 26 (1.0%)
- Asian alone - 9 (0.3%)
- Black alone - 2 (0.08%)
|Minnesota Picture Thread (300 replies)|
|Spring is the cruelist season in the Twin Cities! (92 replies)|
|Moving to Duluth, curious about the lake effect - is there a 'boundary' where it diminishes? (13 replies)|
|area surrounding duluth (4 replies)|
|Northern Minnesota Cabins (62 replies)|
|Please recommend a lake (23 replies)|
Latest news from Aitkin, MN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (24.5%), Irish (11.7%), Norwegian (10.3%), Swedish (8.4%), French (6.0%), United States (4.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1217 feet
Land area: 1.72 square miles.
Population density: 1,210 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Aitkin:
- High school or higher: 82.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 8.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Aitkin city:
- Never married: 27.2%
- Now married: 39.5%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 13.1%
- Divorced: 18.6%
44 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Minnesota and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Aitkin, Minnesota as of July 01, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Aitkin to the number of sex offenders is 2,112 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $517 (0.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $816 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: St. Cloud, MN (71.1 miles , pop. 59,107).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Minneapolis, MN (110.5 miles , pop. 382,618).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (441.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Deerwood, MN (3.2 miles ), Cuyuna, MN (3.2 miles ), Crosby, MN (3.5 miles ), Ironton, MN (3.7 miles ), Trommald, MN (3.9 miles) , Palisade, MN (4.0 miles) , Riverton, MN (4.1 miles) , Garrison, MN (4.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 1998: 21 buildings, average cost: $50,500
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $45,000
- 2000: 5 buildings, average cost: $77,400
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $96,300
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $98,700
- 2003: 10 buildings, average cost: $77,500
- 2004: 7 buildings, average cost: $116,200
- 2005: 19 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 2006: 7 buildings, average cost: $139,700
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $107,500
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $132,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $315,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 46.53 N, Longitude: 93.71 W
Area code: 218
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (25%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (9%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in Aitkin, Minnesota
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Aitkin-area historical tornado activity is below Minnesota state average. It is 47% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/6/1969, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 29.8 miles away from the Aitkin city center killed 12 people and injured 70 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 6/11/1966, a category F4 tornado 32.2 miles away from the city center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Aitkin-area historical earthquake activity is below Minnesota state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 126.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 137.5 miles away from Aitkin center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 320.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/20/1995 at 15:57:18, a magnitude 3.7 (3.7 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 159.7 miles away from the city center
On 2/9/1994 at 08:45:35, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 123.0 miles away from Aitkin center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 364.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aitkin County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 5, Tornadoes: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Jonathan Edwards (musician) - Folk guitarist, Warren William - Actor.
Hospitals and medical centers in Aitkin:
Airports and heliports located in Aitkin:
- Aitkin Muni-Steve Kurtz Field Airport (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 2,800, Local Ops: 13,200)
- Riverwood Healthcare Center Heliport
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Aitkin:
- Central Lakes College-Brainerd (about 28 miles; Brainerd, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,371)
- St Cloud Technical and Community College (about 70 miles; Saint Cloud, MN; FT enrollment: 3,493)
- Saint Cloud State University (about 72 miles; Saint Cloud, MN; FT enrollment: 12,822)
- Rasmussen College-Minnesota (about 72 miles; St. Cloud, MN; FT enrollment: 4,575)
- College of Saint Benedict (about 74 miles; Saint Joseph, MN; FT enrollment: 2,025)
- Lake Superior College (about 77 miles; Duluth, MN; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- University of Wisconsin-Superior (about 78 miles; Superior, WI; FT enrollment: 2,302)
Public high schools in Aitkin:
Public elementary/middle schools in Aitkin:
Notable locations in Aitkin: Aitkin City Hall (A), Aitkin County Courthouse (B), Depot Museum (C), Minnesota Department of Natural Resources Aitkin Area Office (D), Aitkin Fire Department (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Aitkin include: Westside Church (A), United Methodist Church (B), Saint John's Lutheran Church (C), Saint John's Episcopal Church (D), First lutheran Church (E), First Congregational Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Aitkin: Aitkin City Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Hazelwood Corporation (Amusement & Theme Parks; 800 Minnesota Avenue North).
Hotels: Ripple River Motel & RV Park (701 Minnesota Avenue South), Lakeview Inn On Dam Lake (33592 300th Place).
Court: Aitkin County - Aitkin- Court Administrator (217 2nd Street Northwest).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 61.9. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 22.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2001 was 15.2. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 22.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2009 was 7.00. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 22.7 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Aitkin and their reported violations in the past:AITKIN (Population served: 1,984, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUL-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Tech Assistance Visit (JUL-28-2011), St Formal NOV issued (JUL-28-2011), St Compliance Meeting conducted (JUL-28-2011), St Public Notif requested (JUL-28-2011), St Compliance achieved (AUG-08-2011), St Public Notif received (AUG-08-2011)
(21.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
People in group quarters in Aitkin in 2010:
- 116 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 78 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 22 people in group homes intended for adults
People in group quarters in Aitkin in 2000:
- 148 people in nursing homes
- 21 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 5 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals or wards
Aitkin compared to Minnesota state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Aitkin (2011 data):
- Security State Bank of Aitkin: Paulbecks County Market Branch at Red Oak Drive, branch established on 2007/03/01; Security State Bank Of Aitkin at 402 Minnesota Avenue North, branch established on 1947/12/23. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $85.4 mil, Deposits: $74.9 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Security State Agency Of Aitkin, Inc.
- Peoples National Bank of Mora: Aitkin Branch at 15 Minnesota Avenue South, branch established on 1941/01/01. Info updated 2009/09/04: Bank assets: $156.9 mil, Deposits: $136.3 mil, headquarters in Mora, MN, positive income, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Peoples Bankshares, Inc.
- Bremer Bank, National Association: Aitkin Branch at 101 Minnesota Avenue North, branch established on 1900/08/28. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $340.8 mil, Deposits: $282.8 mil, headquarters in Brainerd, MN, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Otto Bremer Foundation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (69%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Wood (5%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
- Other fuel (3%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Aitkin city (based on Aitkin County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 70.47%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Catholic Church||Lutheran Church||United Methodist Church||Assemblies of God|
|Name||Conservative Baptist Association of America||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Baptist General Conference||United Church of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aitkin County:||3.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Minnesota:||1.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aitkin County:||1.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|Minnesota:||0.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aitkin County:||7.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||5||$1,800||$4,320||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||6||$25,883||$51,766||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||3||$11,536||$46,144||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||2||$992|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$3,503||$42,036||6||$1,736|
|Totals for Government||19||$51,883||$32,768||36||$2,728|
Aitkin government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Regular Highways: $237,000 ($113.56)
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $2,466,000 ($1181.60)
Liquor Stores: $783,000 ($375.18)
Police Protection: $344,000 ($164.83)
Regular Highways: $227,000 ($108.77)
General - Other: $169,000 ($80.98)
Fire Protection: $119,000 ($57.02)
Financial Administration: $83,000 ($39.77)
Protective Inspection and Regulation, NEC: $64,000 ($30.67)
Libraries: $18,000 ($8.62)
Air Transportation: $18,000 ($8.62)
Central Staff Services: $14,000 ($6.71)
Parks & Recreation: $8,000 ($3.83)
- Employee Retirement - Total Cash & Deposits: $534,000 ($255.87)
Withdrawals: $20,000 ($9.58)
- General - Interest on Debt: $136,000 ($65.17)
- Other Capital Outlay - Electric Utilities: $692,000 ($331.58)
Regular Highways: $365,000 ($174.89)
Air Transportation: $161,000 ($77.14)
Fire Protection: $51,000 ($24.44)
Police Protection: $35,000 ($16.77)
Liquor Stores: $7,000 ($3.35)
Parks & Recreation: $6,000 ($2.87)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $2,027,000 ($971.25)
Aitkin government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $56,000 ($26.83)
Parks & Recreation: $17,000 ($8.15)
Regular Highways: $1,000 ($0.48)
- Employee Retirement - Interest Revenue: $26,000 ($12.46)
From Other Government: $21,000 ($10.06)
From Local Government: $12,000 ($5.75)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $38,000 ($18.21)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $138,000 ($66.12)
Interest Earnings: $115,000 ($55.10)
Special Assessments: $38,000 ($18.21)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $2,848,000 ($1364.64)
Liquor Stores: $820,000 ($392.91)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $573,000 ($274.56)
General Support: $422,000 ($202.20)
Highways: $9,000 ($4.31)
Electric Utilities: $3,000 ($1.44)
- Tax - Property: $372,000 ($178.25)
NEC: $82,000 ($39.29)
Aitkin government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $2,891,000 ($1385.24)
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Other NEC: $800,000 ($383.33)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $655,000 ($313.85)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $2,878,000 ($1379.01)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $158,000 ($75.71)
Aitkin government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $2,015,000 ($965.50)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $325,000 ($155.73)
5.63% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($41,033 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Crow Wing County, MN||0.66% ($24,231 average AGI)|
|from Hennepin County, MN||0.59% ($72,343)|
|from Anoka County, MN||0.49% ($56,828)|
5.15% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,215 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Aitkin:
- KKIN (930 AM; 3 kW; AITKIN, MN; Owner: QUARNSTROM MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- KPRM (870 AM; 25 kW; PARK RAPIDS, MN; Owner: DE LA HUNT BROADCASTING CORP.)
- KLIZ (1380 AM; 5 kW; BRAINERD, MN; Owner: KOMMERSTAD COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY. LLC)
- WWWI (1270 AM; 5 kW; BAXTER, MN; Owner: TOWER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WNMT (650 AM; 10 kW; NASHWAUK, MN; Owner: MIDWEST RADIO NETWORK, L.L.C.)
- WBHR (660 AM; 10 kW; SAUK RAPIDS, MN; Owner: HERBERT M. HOPPE)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WDSM (710 AM; 10 kW; SUPERIOR, WI; Owner: MIDWEST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KLTF (960 AM; 5 kW; LITTLE FALLS, MN; Owner: KLTF/KFML, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Aitkin:
- KKIN-FM (94.3 FM; AITKIN, MN; Owner: QUARNSTROM MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
- KUAL-FM (101.5 FM; CROSBY, MN; Owner: BL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KTIG (102.7 FM; PEQUOT LAKES, MN; Owner: MINNESOTA CHRISTIAN B/CASTERS, INC.)
- KLKS (104.3 FM; BREEZY POINT, MN; Owner: LAKES BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
- KBPR (90.7 FM; BRAINERD, MN; Owner: MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO INC.)
- WJJY-FM (106.7 FM; BRAINERD, MN; Owner: BL BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KLIZ-FM (107.5 FM; BRAINERD, MN; Owner: KOMMERSTAD COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Aitkin:
- K25GD (Channel 25; AITKIN, MN; Owner: KBJR LICENSE, INC.)
- K33ET (Channel 33; AITKIN, MN; Owner: CHELSEY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF DULUTH, LLC)
- K39GG (Channel 39; AITKIN, MN; Owner: KQDS ACQUISITION CORP.)
- K27EV (Channel 27; AITKIN, MN; Owner: WDIO-TV, LLC)
- K16BQ (Channel 16; BRAINERD, MN; Owner: HUBBARD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K28DF (Channel 28; BRAINERD, MN; Owner: FOX TELEVISION STATIONS, INC.)
Aitkin fatal accident list:
Nov 18, 2000 11:50 AM, Sr-210, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
May 24, 1999 02:32 PM, Sr-210, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Nov 6, 1998 05:35 PM, Sr-210, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
Apr 20, 1991 01:10 AM, 169, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Total length: 8 meters (26ft)
Total costs: $133,000
Total average daily traffic: 28,340
Total average daily truck traffic: 2,638
Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic: 26,040
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 53 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Aitkin, MN)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 47 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Aitkin)
FAA Registered Aircraft Manufacturers and Dealers: 3 (See the full list of FAA Registered Manufacturers and Dealers in Aitkin)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 33 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 32
- Hazardous Condition: 7
Incident types - Aitkin
|Most common first names in Aitkin, MN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Aitkin, MN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Aitkin, MN|
|Dairy Queen||1||SAS Shoes||1|
Total of 11 patent applications in 2008-2015.