|Median resident age:||31.2 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 36728
Alberta CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $54,417 (it was $36,600 in 2000)
- Black alone - 1,517 (90.1%)
- White alone - 140 (8.3%)
- Hispanic - 21 (1.2%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.2%)
- Two or more races - 2 (0.1%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 205 feet
Land area: 155.6 square miles.
Population density: 10 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Alberta:
- High school or higher: 40.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 19.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 51.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Alberta CCD:
- Never married: 42.1%
- Now married: 42.0%
- Separated: 4.6%
- Widowed: 9.3%
- Divorced: 6.6%
According to our research of Alabama and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Alberta, Alabama as of May 23, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Alberta to the number of sex offenders is 326 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Alberta CCD:||0.5% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Montgomery, AL (67.1 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (501.4 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Catherine, AL (2.1 miles) , Boykin, AL (3.0 miles ), Safford, AL (3.3 miles ), Camden, AL (3.5 miles ), Orrville, AL (3.7 miles ), Yellow Bluff, AL (3.8 miles) , Thomaston, AL (3.9 miles ), Pine Hill, AL (4.0 miles ).
Latitude: 32.16 N, Longitude: 87.40 W
Area code: 334
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (30%)
- Transportation equipment (11%)
- Lumber and other construction materials merchant wholesalers (10%)
- Wood products (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Truck transportation (8%)
- Paper (6%)
- Health care (21%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Apparel (13%)
- U. S. Postal service (9%)
- Groceries and related products merchant wholesalers (8%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Construction laborers (20%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (20%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (15%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (16%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (13%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (13%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (12%)
- Food processing workers (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
Average climate in Alberta, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Alberta-area historical tornado activity is below Alabama state average. It is 21% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/1/2007, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 2.6 miles away from the Alberta place center killed one person and injured 2 people and caused $2 million in damages.
On 5/27/1973, a category F4 tornado 34.8 miles away from the place center killed 7 people and injured 199 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Alberta-area historical earthquake activity is near Alabama state average. It is 82% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 71.9 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 86.7 miles away from Alberta center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 46.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 191.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/24/1975 at 11:11:36, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 111.0 miles away from Alberta center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 411.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Wilcox County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 5, Storms: 5, Tornadoes: 5, Floods: 4, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Marie Foster - African s' rights activist.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Alberta:
- University of West Alabama (about 55 miles; Livingston, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,394)
- Alabama State University (about 67 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 5,457)
- Shelton State Community College (about 68 miles; Tuscaloosa, AL; FT enrollment: 4,106)
- Faulkner University (about 72 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 2,887)
- University of Montevallo (about 73 miles; Montevallo, AL; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Auburn University at Montgomery (about 74 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 4,092)
- The University of Alabama (about 74 miles; Tuscaloosa, AL; FT enrollment: 30,931)
Public elementary/middle school in Alberta:
- Abc Elementary School (Students: 180; Location: P O BOX 129; Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Alberta: South Hall Landing (A), Proctor Landing (B), Gees Bend Access Point (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Alberta include: Mount Olive Church (A), Pleasant Grove Church (B), Oak Grove Church (C), Pine Grove Church (D), Prairie Mission Church (E), Zion Church (F), Signature Church (G), Oak Grove Church (H), Mount Sinia Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Cobbs Cemetery (1), McMillan Cemetery (2), Oak Grove Cemetery (3), Shell Creek Cemetery (4), Mendenhall Cemetery (5), Cooper Cemetery (6), Hotel Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Joe Harrison Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Slater Branch (A), Red Creek (B), Mill Creek (C), Little Chilatchee Creek (D), Foster Creek (E), Dixon Creek (F), William Creek (G), Beaver Creek (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Alberta include: Clifton Ferry Public Use Area (1), Chilatchee Park (2), Shell Creek Park (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Alberta compared to Alabama state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (57%)
- Electricity (23%)
- Wood (8%)
- Utility gas (7%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Alberta CCD (based on Wilcox County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 34.13%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Lutheran Church||Churches of Christ||Presbyterian Church (USA)|
|Name||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Association Reformed Presbyterian Church||Presbyterian Church in America||LDS (Mormon) Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Wilcox County:||7.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wilcox County:||0.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wilcox County:||6.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
4.92% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($25,038 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Clarke County, AL||0.80% ($34,467 average AGI)|
|from Montgomery County, AL||0.43% ($16,438)|
|from Dallas County, AL||0.40% ($16,000)|
6.00% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,348 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Alberta:
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCOX (1450 AM; 1 kW; CAMDEN, AL; Owner: DOWN HOME BROADCASTING)
- WJUS (1310 AM; 5 kW; MARION, AL; Owner: GRACE BAPTIST TEMPLE CHURCH)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WYNI (930 AM; 5 kW; MONROEVILLE, AL; Owner: MCKISSICK ENTERPRISES)
- WMSP (740 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WYLS (670 AM; daytime; 5 kW; YORK, AL; Owner: GRANTELL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJDB (630 AM; 1 kW; THOMASVILLE, AL; Owner: GRIFFIN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Alberta:
- WKXK (96.7 FM; PINE HILL, AL; Owner: AUTAUGAVILLE RADIO, INC.)
- WBFZ (105.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: IMANI COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION, INC)
- WINL (98.5 FM; LINDEN, AL; Owner: WEST ALABAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WVFG (107.5 FM; UNIONTOWN, AL; Owner: CHARLES E. JONES, JR.)
- WMBV (91.9 FM; DIXONS MILLS, AL; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WAPR (88.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: UA-ASU-TSU EDUCATIONAL RADIO CORP.)
- WYVC (102.3 FM; CAMDEN, AL; Owner: DOWN HOME BROADCASTING)
- WJAM-FM (97.3 FM; ORRVILLE, AL; Owner: SCOTT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNPT-FM (102.9 FM; LINDEN, AL; Owner: BECKHAM PALMER III AS RECEIVER)
- WALX (100.9 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALEXANDER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Alberta:
- WAKA (Channel 8; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALABAMA BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WIIQ (Channel 41; DEMOPOLIS, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- WBIH (Channel 29; SELMA, AL; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Alberta on our top lists:
- #2 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Personal care and service occupations:"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Lumber and other construction materials merchant wholesalers"
- #8 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below 50% of the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most people below the poverty level, excluding cities with 15% or more of residents in college and with the median age below 28"
- #37 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Other sales and related workers including supervisors"
- #47 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: U. S. Postal service"
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Grocery and related product merchant wholesalers"
- #61 on the list of "Top 100 cities with longest commuting times"
- #64 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Kerry (Democrat) in the 2004 Presidential Election"