We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||55.4 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 01230.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $61,395 (it was $40,412 in 2000)
Alford town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $505,663 (it was $293,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $276,168; Detached houses: $288,657; Townhouses or other attached units: $289,886; In 2-unit structures: $198,435; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $205,917; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $178,237; Mobile homes: $54,571
Races in Alford, MA (2010)
- 48197.4%White alone
- 51.0%Two or more races
- 30.6%Black alone
- 30.6%Asian alone
|Mattapan (25 replies)|
|Drinking a Sam Adams in all 351 towns for Jimmy Fund. need town suggestions (27 replies)|
|Fisher cat in MA? (65 replies)|
|Art/Nature Person - Ideal Parts of Mass? (13 replies)|
Latest news from Alford, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (22.3%), English (19.0%), German (14.5%), Italian (11.5%), United States (6.0%), French (5.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1773
Elevation: 839 feet
Land area: 11.6 square miles.
Population density: 43 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Alford:
- High school or higher: 96.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 51.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 28.7%
- Unemployed: 2.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Alford town:
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 60.4%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 9.8%
18 residents are foreign born (4.5% Europe).
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Alford, Massachusetts as of April 26, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Alford to the number of sex offenders is 247 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Alford town:||0.6% ($1,670)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Albany, NY (34.3 miles , pop. 95,658).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Bronx, NY (99.4 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Housatonic, MA (1.6 miles ), Great Barrington, MA (2.1 miles ), Egremont, MA (2.1 miles ), West Stockbridge, MA (2.3 miles ), Hillsdale, NY (2.5 miles ), Stockbridge, MA (2.5 miles ), Austerlitz, NY (2.8 miles ), Lee, MA (3.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $71,500
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $71,500
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $71,500
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $71,500
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $71,500
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $71,500
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $71,500
- 2004: 8 buildings, average cost: $315,800
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $880,000
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $1,091,100
- 2008: 3 buildings, average cost: $1,055,000
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $637,000
- 2010: 3 buildings, average cost: $1,429,300
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $737,000
- 2013: 3 buildings, average cost: $680,700
- 2014: 2 buildings, average cost: $1,167,200
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.24 N, Longitude: 73.42 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 413
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (12%)
- Finance and insurance (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Publishing, and motion picture and sound recording industries (5%)
- Health care (5%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Health care (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (10%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Physicians and surgeons (7%)
- Business operations specialists (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Construction laborers (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (8%)
- Registered nurses (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
Average climate in Alford, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Alford-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 20% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/28/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 2.7 miles away from the Alford town center killed 4 people and injured 36 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/29/1995, a category F4 tornado 3.0 miles away from the town center killed 3 people and injured 24 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Alford-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 127.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 156.0 miles away from Alford center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 126.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 69.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 189.9 miles away from Alford center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 58.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Berkshire County (20) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 10
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Snowstorms: 5, Storms: 5, Hurricanes: 4, Winter Storms: 4, Blizzards: 2, Snows: 2, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Alford:
- FAIRVIEW HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 5 miles away; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA)
- FAIRVIEW HOSPITAL DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 5 miles away; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA)
- GREAT BARRINGTON REHABILITATION AND NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA)
- KINDRED NRSING AND REHABILITATION-TIMBERLYN HEIGHTS (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA)
- LEE REGIONAL VNA INC. (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; LEE, MA)
- KINDRED NURSING AND REHABILITATION-LAUREL LAKE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; LEE, MA)
- EDGECOMBE NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; LENOX, MA)
Amtrak stations near Alford:
- 17 miles: PITTSFIELD (DEPOT ST. BTW NORTH & CENTER STS.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 20 miles: HUDSON (69 S. FRONT ST.) . Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Alford:
- Bard College (about 30 miles; Annandale-On-Hudson, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,137)
- Westfield State University (about 33 miles; Westfield, MA; FT enrollment: 5,548)
- Williams College (about 35 miles; Williamstown, MA; FT enrollment: 2,141)
- Hudson Valley Community College (about 35 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 9,346)
- The College of Saint Rose (about 35 miles; Albany, NY; FT enrollment: 4,085)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (about 37 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 6,940)
- The Sage Colleges (about 37 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 2,499)
Private high school in Alford:
Public elementary/middle school in Alford:
- BRADFORD ELEMENTARY (Students: 622, Location: 118 MONTVALE STREET, Grades: KG-5)
Private elementary/middle school in Alford:
Notable locations in Alford: Alford Fire Department (A), Alford Free Public Library (B), Alford Town Hall (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Tom Ball Brook (A), Alford Brook (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 61.8. This is better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 9.90. This is about average. Closest monitor was 16.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Alford town (based on Berkshire County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Berkshire County:||2.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Berkshire County:||1.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Berkshire County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||15.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
3.11% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,056 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($441 average AGI)
Berkshire County: 0.04% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hampden County, MA||0.18% ($40,323 average AGI)|
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.13% ($77,300)|
|from Hampshire County, MA||0.11% ($24,695)|
3.67% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($42,710 average adjusted gross income)
0.07% of residents moved to foreign countries ($772 average AGI)
Berkshire County: 0.07% Massachusetts average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Alford:
- WSBS (860 AM; 3 kW; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WUHN (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WROW (590 AM; 5 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WKZE (1020 AM; daytime; 3 kW; SHARON, CT; Owner: JOHNSON DEVELOPMENT, INC.)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Alford:
- WHVP (91.1 FM; HUDSON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WAMQ (105.1 FM; GREAT BARRINGTON, MA; Owner: WAMC)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WBEC-FM (105.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WUPE (95.9 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WAMK (90.9 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: W A M C)
- WFGB (89.7 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPDH (101.5 FM; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WKZE-FM (98.1 FM; SALISBURY, CT; Owner: JOHNSON DEVELOPMENT, INC.)
- WAJZ (96.3 FM; VOORHEESVILLE, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZMR (104.9 FM; ALTAMONT, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WFNP (88.7 FM; ROSENDALE, NY; Owner: STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK)
- WRHV (88.7 FM; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Owner: WMHT EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WYJB (95.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WRCH (100.5 FM; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WGNA-FM (107.7 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF MANSFIELD, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Alford:
- WTIC-TV (Channel 61; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: TRIBUNE TELEVISION COMPANY)
- W11BJ (Channel 11; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: COMMUNICATIONS SITE MANAGEMENT LLC)
- WTXX (Channel 20; WATERBURY, CT; Owner: WTXX INC.)
- WUVN (Channel 18; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
Alford fatal accident list:
Nov 6, 1989 11:30 AM, Route 71, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 7m23ftTotal length
- $2,213,000Total costs
- 2,080Total average daily traffic
- 61Total average daily truck traffic
- 2,527Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Lat: 42.230111 Lon: -73.440361, Call Sign: WQAP216
Assigned Frequencies: 151.925 MHzGrant Date: 07/13/2004, Expiration Date: 07/13/2014, Cancellation Date: 09/13/2014, Certifier: Riachard A BaillyRegistrant: The Alarm Room Inc, 44 Suffolk Drive, East Hartford, CT 06118-2697, Phone: (860) 568-6254, Fax: (860) 568-6524
- Lat: 42.226306 Lon: -73.422917, Call Sign: WQUY986
Assigned Frequencies: 159.450 MHzGrant Date: 11/21/2014, Expiration Date: 11/21/2024, Certifier: Philip BaillyRegistrant: Washington Radio Reports, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-0668, Fax: (717) 334-6440, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KA2AVR, Licensee ID: L01000394, Grant Date: 05/07/2015, Expiration Date: 07/11/2025, Registrant: Paul Tepper, 131 West Rd, Alford, MA 01266
- Call Sign: KB1BS, Previous Call Sign: KE3NB, Licensee ID: L00354599, Grant Date: 06/02/2011, Expiration Date: 05/26/2021, Certifier: Bruce B Schreiber, Registrant: Bruce B Schreiber, 281 West Road, Alford, MA 01126
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 6
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (67%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (16%)
- Electricity (12%)
- Wood (5%)
Alford compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2018.