Allagash: Walker Brook Campsite, Allagash Maine
Allagash: looking up the St. John River a short ways before the school
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||57.8 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04774.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $16,808 (it was $11,968 in 2000)
Allagash town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $72,753 (it was $47,000 in 2000)
Races in Allagash, ME (2010)
- 23297.1%White alone
- 52.1%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rates? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
- Reasons for getting a Lending Club loan Feb 2
|Moving from Austin to Allagash (190 replies)|
|The golden road (117 replies)|
|Why is Maine a poor state? (240 replies)|
|Is Northern and Western Maine the most remote part of the US, east of the Mississippi? (78 replies)|
|LePage; on Vaseline (84 replies)|
|Looking For Ridiculously Remote And Isolated Land (50 replies)|
Latest news from Allagash, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (46.6%), French (27.4%), United States (11.9%), English (9.4%), Scotch-Irish (9.0%), Scottish (2.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 09/28/1885
Elevation: 624 feet
Land area: 128.5 square miles.
Population density: 1.9 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Allagash:
- High school or higher: 61.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 9.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 44.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Allagash town:
- Never married: 23.2%
- Now married: 50.6%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 9.5%
- Divorced: 14.1%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Allagash town:||0.8% ($380)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (244.3 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (344.8 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (493.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: St. Francis, ME (3.2 miles ), Wallagrass, ME (4.6 miles ), Eagle Lake, ME (4.7 miles ), Fort Kent, ME (5.0 miles ), New Canada, ME (5.2 miles ), Frenchville, ME (5.9 miles ), Portage Lake, ME (5.9 miles ), St. Agatha, ME (5.9 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $12,000
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $11,000
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $4,500
- 2005: 2 buildings, average cost: $100,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 47.09 N, Longitude: 69.06 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (23%)
- Other direct selling establishments (13%)
- Construction (10%)
- Textile mills and textile products (10%)
- Truck transportation (10%)
- Social assistance (10%)
- Groceries and related products merchant wholesalers (8%)
- Health care (24%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Public administration (14%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (10%)
- Wood products (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Apparel (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (18%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (13%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (13%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (10%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (10%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (10%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (8%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (12%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (10%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (10%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Bus drivers (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Top executives (5%)
Average climate in Allagash, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Allagash-area historical earthquake activity is below Maine state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 21.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 288.0 miles away from Allagash center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 335.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 195.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 277.6 miles away from Allagash center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 129.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Cathie Pelletier - Novelist.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Allagash:
- University of Maine (about 154 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 158 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 176 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 194 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 237 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 245 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 246 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Notable locations in Allagash: Allagash Inn (A), Allagash Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Bolton Cemetery (1), Saint Paul Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lake: Little Falls Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Aegan Brook (A), Allagash River (B), Thoroughfare Brook (C), Little Black River (D), Walker Brook (E), West Twin Brook (F), White Brook (G), Kelly Brook (H), Bass Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||1.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.8% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Allagash compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (71%)
- Wood (17%)
- Electricity (12%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Allagash town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Allagash:
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Allagash:
- W04BH (Channel 4; ALLAGASH, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 48m157ftTotal length
- 1,482Total average daily traffic
- 101Total average daily truck traffic
- 2,224Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: STINSON 108 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 84 mph), Engine: FRANKLIN 6A4150 SERIES (150 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 40169 , Serial Number: 108-99, Year manufactured: 1946
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, , Allagash, ME 04774
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1