We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||32.5 years|
|Georgia median age:||35.9 years|
Zip codes: 31510.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $17,537 (it was $11,574 in 2000)
Alma city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $69,537 (it was $53,000 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $527.
Races in Alma, GA (2010)
- 1,72549.8%White alone
- 1,40140.4%Black alone
- 571.6%Two or more races
- 220.6%Asian alone
- 40.1%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 50.1%Other race alone
- 30.09%American Indian alone
|Best authentic Mexican food in/around Atlanta (29 replies)|
|Does an interstate between Macon and Jacksonville make sense (54 replies)|
|Georgia State University, Georgia Perimeter merger in the works (69 replies)|
|Does Atlanta Have the worst big city downtown in the South? (537 replies)|
|Where does South Georgia begin to you? (33 replies)|
|Any SanDiego style Mexican restaurants in ATL? (50 replies)|
Latest news from Alma, GA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (13.9%), English (9.2%), Irish (7.0%), French (4.2%), West Indian (2.7%), German (1.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 201 feet
Land area: 5.73 square miles.
Population density: 615 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Alma:
- High school or higher: 74.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.1%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Alma city:
- Never married: 38.2%
- Now married: 33.8%
- Separated: 4.1%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 14.0%
233 residents are foreign born (6.1% Latin America).
According to our research of Georgia and other state lists there were 29 registered sex offenders living in Alma, Georgia as of September 02, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Alma to the number of sex offenders is 121 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $741 (0.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $546 (1.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Savannah, GA (87.5 miles , pop. 131,510).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Jacksonville, FL (97.1 miles , pop. 735,617).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (714.2 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Rockingham, GA (2.3 miles ), Nicholls, GA (3.2 miles ), Dixie Union, GA (3.4 miles ), Satilla Creek, GA (3.4 miles ), Bristol, GA (3.9 miles ), West Green, GA (4.1 miles ), Surrency-Thornton, GA (4.1 miles ), Baxley, GA (4.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $132,500
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $77,000
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $141,000
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $79,000
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $350,000
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $164,800
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $169,200
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $330,000
- 2007: 9 buildings, average cost: $158,600
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $200,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 31.54 N, Longitude: 82.47 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,686 (+47.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 669 (57.6%)
Area code: 912
|Crime rates in Alma by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 291.3)||236.0||112.9||274.7||291.5||554.0||477.0||633.9||607.5||459.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Alma detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.83|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -476 (-12.8%).
- Manufacturing (24%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (13%)
- Construction (12%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Utilities (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (28%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Retail trade (4%)
- Production occupations (27%)
- Management occupations (17%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (9%)
- Architecture and engineering occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (5%)
- Production occupations (19%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (18%)
- Healthcare support occupations (11%)
- Personal care and service occupations (10%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (8%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (6%)
Average climate in Alma, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Alma-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 10% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/18/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 27.5 miles away from the Alma city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 4/8/1957, a category F3 tornado 30.2 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 3 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Alma-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 161.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 165.2 miles away from Alma center
On 11/11/2002 at 23:39:29, a magnitude 4.4 (4.0 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 1.5 mi) earthquake occurred 160.0 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1992 at 16:31:55, a magnitude 4.4 (4.1 MB, 4.1 LG, 4.4 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 172.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 444.3 miles away from Alma center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 274.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Bacon County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Daniel W. Lee - Army Medal of Honor recipient, Harry Crews - Novelist.
Medal of Honor Recipients
Medal of Honor Recipient born in Alma: Daniel W. Lee.
Hospitals and medical centers in Alma:
Airports located in Alma:
- Bacon County Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 5,000, Local Ops: 2,000)
Operable nuclear power plants near Alma:
- 18 miles: Edwin I. Hatch 1 and 2 in Baxley, GA.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Alma:
- South Georgia State College (about 23 miles; Douglas, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,507)
- Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (about 63 miles; Tifton, GA; FT enrollment: 2,564)
- College of Coastal Georgia (about 65 miles; Brunswick, GA; FT enrollment: 2,447)
- Valdosta State University (about 69 miles; Valdosta, GA; FT enrollment: 11,155)
- Wiregrass Georgia Technical College (about 70 miles; Valdosta, GA; FT enrollment: 3,246)
- Georgia Southern University (about 74 miles; Statesboro, GA; FT enrollment: 18,824)
- East Georgia State College (about 74 miles; Swainsboro, GA; FT enrollment: 2,345)
Public high school in Alma:
- Bacon County High School (Students: 436; Location: 901 North Pierce Street; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Alma:
User submitted facts and corrections:
- The Alma Times is the legal organ for Alma, Bacon County. This weekly newspaper is published on Thursdays and is owned by SouthFire Publishing.
Notable locations in Alma: Alma - Bacon County Fire Department (A), Bacon County Courthouse (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Alma include: Church of God (A), Zion Chapel Baptist Church (B), Restored Mission Church (C), Mount Sinai Church of Jesus Christ (D), Gospel of the Kingdom Church (E), First Community Church (F), First Church of the Nazarene (G), Bead Street Holiness Church (H), Abundant Life Family Worship Center (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Rose Hill Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoir: Lake Lure (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attractions: Historical Society (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 406 Mercer Street), Superior Court Clerk (Recreation Areas; 502 West 12th Street).
Hotels: Best Inn (1049 South Pierce Street), Alma Days Inn (930 S Pierce St).
Courts: Clerk Of Court (502 West 12th), Judge Probate Court (502 West 12th).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 0.00138. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.8 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Alma and their reported violations in the past:ALMA (Population served: 4,700, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-1995, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-19-1997), St Compliance achieved (SEP-11-1998), St Intentional no-action (AUG-27-2001)
- One minor monitoring violation
(15.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 46.5% for Black residents, 45.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 19.6% for other race residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
83 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities in 2010
89 people in nursing homes in 2000
39 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Alma compared to Georgia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Banks with branches in Alma (2011 data):
- Alma Exchange Bank & Trust: at 501 West 12th Street, branch established on 1939/10/01; Drive-In Branch at U.S. Highway 1 And 18th Street, branch established on 1966/04/27. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $89.4 mil, Deposits: $80.4 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: South Banking Company
- First National Bank South: at 423 West 12th Street, branch established on 1950/02/15. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $313.4 mil, Deposits: $274.1 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: First Bank Shares Of The South East, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (79%)
- Utility gas (15%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Alma city (based on Bacon County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Bacon County:||2.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bacon County:||2.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||0.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bacon County:||7.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$15,786||$63,144||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||2||$1,493|
|Police Protection - Officers||13||$37,597||$34,705||2||$3,011|
|Police - Other||2||$5,510||$33,060||0||$0|
|Fire - Other||1||$2,680||$32,160||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||3||$10,426||$41,704||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||1||$1,754||$21,048||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||2||$6,862||$41,172||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||48||$142,815||$35,704||32||$38,674|
Alma government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Water Utilities: $74,000 ($20.99)
Housing & Community Development: $64,000 ($18.16)
Sewerage: $49,000 ($13.90)
Regular Highways: $18,000 ($5.11)
Parks & Recreation: $13,000 ($3.69)
Protective Inspection & Regulation, NEC: $1,000 ($0.28)
Police Protection: $1,000 ($0.28)
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $662,000 ($187.80)
Fire Protection: $458,000 ($129.93)
General - Other: $422,000 ($119.72)
Water Utilities: $267,000 ($75.74)
Central Staff Services: $266,000 ($75.46)
Solid Waste Management: $245,000 ($69.50)
Sewerage: $178,000 ($50.50)
Regular Highways: $118,000 ($33.48)
General Public Buildings: $59,000 ($16.74)
Parks & Recreation: $52,000 ($14.75)
Protective Inspection and Regulation, NEC: $41,000 ($11.63)
Judicial and Legal Services: $38,000 ($10.78)
Health Services - Other: $26,000 ($7.38)
Corrections - Other: $19,000 ($5.39)
Libraries: $12,000 ($3.40)
Financial Administration: $10,000 ($2.84)
Welfare - Other: $3,000 ($0.85)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - Parks & Recreation: $52,000 ($14.75)
Corrections: $19,000 ($5.39)
Solid Waste Management: $14,000 ($3.97)
Libraries: $12,000 ($3.40)
General: $10,000 ($2.84)
Welfare: $2,000 ($0.57)
- Other Capital Outlay - Police Protection: $96,000 ($27.23)
Water Utilities: $64,000 ($18.16)
Sewerage: $42,000 ($11.91)
Regular Highways: $29,000 ($8.23)
Fire Protection: $11,000 ($3.12)
Parks & Recreation: $3,000 ($0.85)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,616,000 ($458.44)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $20,000 ($5.67)
Alma government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $286,000 ($81.13)
Solid Waste Management: $249,000 ($70.64)
All Other: $5,000 ($1.42)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $860,000 ($243.97)
Highways: $518,000 ($146.95)
General Support: $385,000 ($109.22)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $136,000 ($38.58)
Interest Earnings: $3,000 ($0.85)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $429,000 ($121.70)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $114,000 ($32.34)
Housing & Community Development: $79,000 ($22.41)
Highways: $11,000 ($3.12)
- Tax - Property: $514,000 ($145.82)
Public Utilities: $169,000 ($47.94)
Other Selective Sales: $141,000 ($40.00)
NEC: $96,000 ($27.23)
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $70,000 ($19.86)
Alma government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $482,000 ($136.74)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $398,000 ($112.91)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $84,000 ($23.83)
Alma government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,869,000 ($530.21)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $90,000 ($25.53)
6.36% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,784 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Coffee County, GA||1.11% ($20,757 average AGI)|
|from Ware County, GA||0.72% ($32,333)|
|from Appling County, GA||0.60% ($17,700)|
5.91% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,726 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Alma:
- WAJQ (1400 AM; 1 kW; ALMA, GA; Owner: BLUEBERRY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WDMG (860 AM; 5 kW; DOUGLAS, GA; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WUFE (1260 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BAXLEY, GA; Owner: SOUTH GEORGIA BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOKA (1310 AM; 4 kW; DOUGLAS, GA; Owner: COFFEE COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WFNS (1350 AM; 3 kW; BLACKSHEAR, GA; Owner: MARMAC COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WOBS (1530 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: WORD BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WLOP (1370 AM; 5 kW; JESUP, GA; Owner: JESUP BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WGSR (1570 AM; 50 kW; FERNANDINA BEACH, FL; Owner: RJM COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WCGA (1100 AM; daytime; 10 kW; WOODBINE, GA; Owner: COX BROADCAST GROUP, INC.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
Strongest FM radio stations in Alma:
- WAJQ-FM (104.3 FM; ALMA, GA; Owner: BLUEBERRY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBYZ (94.5 FM; BAXLEY, GA; Owner: SOUTH GEORGIA BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WXVS (90.1 FM; WAYCROSS, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WOKA-FM (106.7 FM; DOUGLAS, GA; Owner: COFFEE COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WWSN (103.3 FM; WAYCROSS, GA; Owner: QANTUM OF BRUNSWICK LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WYNR (102.5 FM; WAYCROSS, GA; Owner: QANTUM OF BRUNSWICK LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WLPT (88.3 FM; JESUP, GA; Owner: AUGUSTA RADIO FELLOWSHIP INSTITUTE, INC.)
- WPNG (101.9 FM; PEARSON, GA; Owner: KM RADIO OF PEARSON, L.L.C.)
- WKUB (105.1 FM; BLACKSHEAR, GA; Owner: MATTOX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVOH-FM (93.5 FM; HAZLEHURST, GA; Owner: JEFF DAVIS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Alma:
- WXGA-TV (Channel 8; WAYCROSS, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WPXC-TV (Channel 21; BRUNSWICK, GA; Owner: PAXSON JAX LICENSE, INC.)
- WGSA (Channel 34; BAXLEY, GA; Owner: SOUTHERN TV CORPORATION)
- W54CW (Channel 54; WAYCROSS, GA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- W56DU (Channel 56; HAZLEHURST, GA; Owner: JEFF DAVIS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 25m82ftTotal length
- $478,000Total costs
- 20,980Total average daily traffic
- 514Total average daily truck traffic
- 31,470Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 84 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Alma, GA)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Alma)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 14 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Alma)
|Most common first names in Alma, GA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Alma, GA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Alma, GA|
|Days Inn||1||Pizza Hut||1|
Alma on our top lists:
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Postsecondary teachers"
- #17 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Water transportation"
- #25 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Florists"
- #32 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Pharmacies and drug stores"
- #66 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Food"
- #82 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Fuel dealers"
- #21 (31510) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers using paid preparers for 2004 taxes (pop 5,000+)"
- #88 (31510) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of United States or American first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.