|Median resident age:||41.5 years|
|Illinois median age:||39.6 years|
Zip codes: 61413.
Alpha village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $82,439 (it was $62,900 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $615.
- White alone - 645 (96.1%)
- Hispanic - 13 (1.9%)
- Two or more races - 8 (1.2%)
- Black alone - 3 (0.4%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.1%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.1%)
|Will Chicago feel like a worldly, cosmopolitain city coming from San Francisco? (260 replies)|
|Is Chicago a boring city when you stack it up next to New York City and LA? (119 replies)|
|Thoughts on the future of Illinois? (73 replies)|
|Chicago Spire Is Coming Back! (59 replies)|
|GaWC 2010 - Chicago upgraded to Alpha+ (17 replies)|
|What was the "original" Pipers Alley like? (52 replies)|
Latest news from Alpha, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (22.1%), Swedish (19.8%), Irish (12.7%), English (9.3%), United States (4.4%), French (2.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 06/17/1895
Elevation: 803 feet
Land area: 0.32 square miles.
Population density: 2,050 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Alpha:
- High school or higher: 96.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.3%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Alpha village:
- Never married: 16.5%
- Now married: 59.6%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 11.6%
- Divorced: 11.6%
6 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Alpha, Illinois as of March 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Alpha to the number of sex offenders is 664 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $2,611 (2.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $1,542 (1.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Davenport, IA (26.6 miles , pop. 98,359).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (139.7 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (146.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Woodhull, IL (1.9 miles ), Rio, IL (2.4 miles ), Andover, IL (2.9 miles ), North Henderson, IL (2.9 miles) , Viola, IL (3.3 miles ), Sherrard, IL (3.3 miles ), Orion, IL (3.3 miles ), Oneida, IL (3.4 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $125,000
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $125,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.19 N, Longitude: 90.38 W
Area code: 309
|Crime rates in Alpha by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 313.1)||78.3||86.7||15.4||15.6||21.3||20.1||5.8||42.1||0.0||0.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Alpha detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Construction (18%)
- Manufacturing (16%)
- Other services, except public administration (12%)
- Information (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (21%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Other services, except public administration (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Finance and insurance (10%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (9%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (14%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
- Child care workers (4%)
Average climate in Alpha, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Alpha-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 73% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/29/1981, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 40.5 miles away from the Alpha village center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 8/15/1978, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.9 miles away from the village center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Alpha-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Illinois state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 231.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 210.7 miles away from Alpha center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 79.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 261.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 231.1 miles away from Alpha center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 216.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Henry County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 6, Floods: 4, Snows: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Alpha:
- SERENITY HOSPICE (Hospital, about 11 miles away; VIOLA, IL)
- ST MARY MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 15 miles away; GALESBURG, IL)
- SEMINARY MANOR (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; GALESBURG, IL)
- MARIGOLD REHAB AND HCC (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; GALESBURG, IL)
- STEVENS HOUSE (Hospital, about 16 miles away; GALESBURG, IL)
- HAWTHORNE TERRACE (Hospital, about 16 miles away; GALESBURG, IL)
- ROSEWOOD CARE CENTER OF GALESBURG (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; GALESBURG, IL)
Amtrak stations near Alpha:
- 18 miles: GALESBURG (EX-BN) (GALESBURG, 225 S. SEMINARY ST.) . Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 20 miles: MOLINE (QUAD CITY AIRPORT, 2200 69TH ST.) - Bus Station . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Alpha:
- Black Hawk College (about 20 miles; Moline, IL; Full-time enrollment: 5,086)
- Augustana College (about 24 miles; Rock Island, IL; FT enrollment: 2,555)
- Eastern Iowa Community College District (about 25 miles; Davenport, IA; FT enrollment: 5,507)
- Saint Ambrose University (about 27 miles; Davenport, IA; FT enrollment: 3,053)
- Kaplan University-Davenport Campus (about 27 miles; Davenport, IA; FT enrollment: 60,376)
- Ashford University (about 47 miles; Clinton, IA; FT enrollment: 73,330)
- Southeastern Community College (about 49 miles; West Burlington, IA; FT enrollment: 2,251)
Public elementary/middle school in Alpha:
- Alwood Elementary School (Location: 101 East A St; Grades: PK-5)
Notable locations in Alpha: Tri - County Ambulance District (A), Oxford Township Fire Professional (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Alpha: Alpha United Methodist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 60.6. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 27.1. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 37.8. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 24.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.49. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Alpha and their reported violations in the past:ALPHA (Population served: 750, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between APR-2007 and JUN-2007, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (JUN-12-2007), St Public Notif requested (JUN-18-2007), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUN-18-2007), St Public Notif received (JUL-10-2008)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between OCT-2006 and DEC-2006, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (NOV-13-2006), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-15-2006), St Public Notif received (NOV-30-2006)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2005 and SEP-2005, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (SEP-21-2005), St Public Notif requested (OCT-06-2005), St Violation/Reminder Notice (OCT-06-2005), St Public Notif received (DEC-11-2006)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
(1.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 66.7% for two or more races residents)
|This village:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Alpha compared to Illinois state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Alpha (2011 data):
- Farmers State Bank of Western Illinois: Farmers State Bank Of Western Illino at 124 West D Street, branch established on 1910/12/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $123.8 mil, Deposits: $106.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Alpha Banco, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (91%)
- Electricity (6%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Alpha village (based on Henry County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 59.32%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Lutheran Church|
|Name||United Church of Christ||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Henry County:||2.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Henry County:||0.81 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||0.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Henry County:||6.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||8||$849|
|Police Protection - Officers||0||$0||1||$850|
|Police - Other||0||$0||2||$2,500|
|Streets and Highways||1||$3,230||$38,760||1||$1,200|
|Totals for Government||1||$3,230||$38,760||13||$5,675|
Alpha government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $80,000 ($121.21)
Water Utilities: $68,000 ($103.03)
Central Staff Services: $43,000 ($65.15)
Police Protection: $21,000 ($31.82)
General Public Buildings: $10,000 ($15.15)
Financial Administration: $8,000 ($12.12)
General - Other: $2,000 ($3.03)
- Other Capital Outlay - Central Staff: $29,000 ($43.94)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $67,000 ($101.52)
Alpha government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $1,000 ($1.52)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $34,000 ($51.52)
General Revenue, NEC: $23,000 ($34.85)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $58,000 ($87.88)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $103,000 ($156.06)
Highways: $19,000 ($28.79)
- Tax - Property: $19,000 ($28.79)
Alpha government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $843,000 ($1277.27)
4.70% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,317 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Rock Island County, IL||1.50% ($36,161 average AGI)|
|from Scott County, IA||0.35% ($41,592)|
|from Knox County, IL||0.21% ($28,047)|
5.50% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($37,441 average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries ($338 average AGI)
Henry County: 0.05% Illinois average: 0.07%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Alpha:
- WAIK (1590 AM; 5 kW; GALESBURG, IL; Owner: WPW BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WKBF (1270 AM; 5 kW; ROCK ISLAND, IL; Owner: MERCURY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WOC (1420 AM; 5 kW; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WDLM (960 AM; 1 kW; EAST MOLINE, IL; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- KJOC (1170 AM; 1 kW; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WGIL (1400 AM; 1 kW; GALESBURG, IL; Owner: GALESBURG BROADCASTING CO.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Alpha:
- WHTS (98.9 FM; ROCK ISLAND, IL; Owner: MERCURY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WXLP (96.9 FM; MOLINE, IL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WLLR-FM (103.7 FM; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WVIK (90.3 FM; ROCK ISLAND, IL; Owner: AUGUSTANA COLLEGE)
- WKAY (105.3 FM; KNOXVILLE, IL; Owner: GALESBURG BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KUUL (101.3 FM; EAST MOLINE, IL; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WAAG (94.9 FM; GALESBURG, IL; Owner: GALESBURG BROADCASTING CO.)
- KCQQ (106.5 FM; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KMXG (96.1 FM; CLINTON, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WLSR (92.7 FM; GALESBURG, IL; Owner: GALESBURG BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJRE (102.5 FM; GALVA, IL; Owner: VIRDEN BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WDLM-FM (89.3 FM; EAST MOLINE, IL; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- KBEA-FM (99.7 FM; MUSCATINE, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WMOI (97.7 FM; MONMOUTH, IL; Owner: WPW BROADCASTING, INC)
- WYEC (93.9 FM; KEWANEE, IL; Owner: VIRDEN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAXR (88.1 FM; GENESEO, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WRMJ (102.3 FM; ALEDO, IL; Owner: WESTERN ILLINOIS BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Alpha:
- KWQC-TV (Channel 6; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF DAVENPORT, INC.)
- WQAD-TV (Channel 8; MOLINE, IL; Owner: NEW YORK TIMES MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
- KLJB-TV (Channel 18; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: QUAD CITIES TELEVISION ACQUISITION CORP.)
- WQPT-TV (Channel 24; MOLINE, IL; Owner: BLACK HAWK COLLEGE)
- WBQD-LP (Channel 26; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: FOUR SEASONS PEORIA, LLC)
- WHBF-TV (Channel 4; ROCK ISLAND, IL; Owner: CORONET COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY)
- KGWB-TV (Channel 26; BURLINGTON, IA; Owner: BURLINGTON TELEVISION ACQUISITION CORP.)
- K61HD (Channel 61; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W50BY (Channel 50; GALESBURG, IL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- KQIN (Channel 36; DAVENPORT, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
Alpha fatal accident list:
Nov 19, 1983 12:05 AM, W A Street, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Alpha)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:17 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:4
- West D St (Lat: 41.190306 Lon: -90.395972), Call Sign: KAS464, Licensee ID: L00026221
Assigned Frequencies: 152.915 MHz
Grant Date: 10/06/2005, Expiration Date: 11/19/2015
Registrant: Gold Star Fs Inc, 101 North East St, Cambridge, IL 61238, Phone: (309) 937-3369
- Water Tower (Lat: 41.191139 Lon: -90.382361), Type: Tank, Structure height: 37 m, Overall height: 39 m, Call Sign: WPWD244
Assigned Frequencies: 158.940 MHz
Grant Date: 10/17/2002, Expiration Date: 10/17/2012, Cancellation Date: 07/20/2011, Certifier: Floyd E Woodson
Registrant: Supreme Radio Communications, 1565 Monmouth Blvd, Galesburg, IL 61401, Phone: (309) 343-3476, Fax: (309) 343-8191, Email:
- Lat: 41.193083 Lon: -90.380694, Call Sign: WQAA846
Assigned Frequencies: 159.457 MHz, 159.457 MHz
Grant Date: 04/23/2004, Expiration Date: 04/23/2014, Certifier: Dennis Shannon
Registrant: Supreme Radio Communications Inc, 1565 Monmouth Blvd, Galesburg, IL 61422, Phone: (309) 343-3476, Fax: (309) 343-8191, Email:
- Lat: 41.194111 Lon: -90.381694, Call Sign: WQCY605
Assigned Frequencies: 159.217 MHz, 159.217 MHz
Grant Date: 06/23/2005, Expiration Date: 06/23/2015, Certifier: Keith Taflinger
Registrant: Supreme Radio Communications, Inc., 4017 N Prospect Rd., Peoria Heights, IL 61616, Phone: (309) 682-0831, Fax: (309) 682-5949, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- WOODHULL, 2177 E 390th St (Lat: 41.183361 Lon: -90.361806), Type: Tower, Structure height: 87 m, Overall height: 91.1 m, Call Sign: WPOS385
Assigned Frequencies: 6630.62 MHz, 6123.10 MHz
Grant Date: 09/09/2008, Expiration Date: 10/01/2018
Registrant: Verizon Wireless, 1120 Sanctuary Pkwy, #150 Gasa5reg, Alpharetta, GA 30009-7630, Phone: (770) 797-1070, Fax: (770) 797-1036, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KA9DGP, Licensee ID: L01378814
Grant Date: 03/12/2008, Expiration Date: 04/30/2018, Certifier: Robert E Mentzer
Registrant: Robert E Mentzer, 108 East Dee St, Alpha, IL 61413
- Call Sign: KC9OTV, Licensee ID: L01451025
Grant Date: 12/09/2008, Expiration Date: 12/09/2018, Certifier: Blane E Shields
Registrant: Blane E Shields, 210 N Park Box 274, Alpha, IL 61413
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 5
|Most common first names in Alpha, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Alpha, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Alpha on our top lists:
- #90 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Finance and insurance"
- #36 (61413) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Swedish first ancestries (pop 1,000+)"
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest increase in the number of infant deaths per 1000 residents 1990-1999 to 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people moving out compared to moving in (pop. 50,000+)"
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2015.