We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||60.2 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip code: 54542
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,404 (it was $15,643 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $116,111 (it was $74,200 in 2000)
Races in Alvin, WI (2010)
- 15498.1%White alone
- 31.9%Two or more races
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
- Higher local employment numbers lead to higher payrolls, especially in finance Apr 15
Latest news from Alvin, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (24.2%), English (14.5%), Irish (10.2%), Dutch (2.7%), Polish (2.7%), Italian (2.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1670 feet
Land area: 115.0 square miles.
Population density: 1.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Alvin:
- High school or higher: 61.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 3.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.4%
- Unemployed: 15.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 34.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Alvin town:
- Never married: 13.9%
- Now married: 72.2%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 7.9%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Alvin town:||0.9% ($700)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Green Bay, WI (107.8 miles , pop. 102,313).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (201.9 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (290.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Tipler, WI (3.2 miles ), Popple River, WI (3.2 miles) , Caspian, MI (3.4 miles ), Stambaugh, MI (3.5 miles ), Gaastra, MI (3.5 miles ), Iron River, MI (3.5 miles ), Hiles, WI (3.6 miles ), Mineral Hills, MI (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 12 buildings, average cost: $96,000
- 1999: 10 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 2000: 10 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 2001: 16 buildings, average cost: $111,900
- 2002: 10 buildings, average cost: $56,400
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $122,900
- 2004: 5 buildings, average cost: $59,400
- 2005: 6 buildings, average cost: $44,500
- 2006: 2 buildings, average cost: $149,000
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $152,800
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $47,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $25,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $7,000
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $39,000
- 2012: 3 buildings, average cost: $55,200
- 2013: 3 buildings, average cost: $75,400
- 2014: 4 buildings, average cost: $56,500
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 45.96 N, Longitude: 88.82 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 906
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (39%)
- Metal and metal products (17%)
- Fuel dealers (17%)
- Utilities (17%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (26%)
- Accommodation and food services (16%)
- Public administration (16%)
- Chemicals (11%)
- Finance and insurance (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (11%)
- Repair and maintenance (11%)
- Carpenters (28%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (17%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (17%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (17%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (11%)
- Construction laborers (11%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (26%)
- Construction laborers (16%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (11%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (11%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (11%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (11%)
Average climate in Alvin, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Alvin-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 62% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/25/1950, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.9 miles away from the Alvin town center killed 2 people and injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/8/1985, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 30.4 miles away from the town center killed 2 people and injured 42 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Alvin-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 97% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 348.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 311.6 miles away from Alvin center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 486.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 360.6 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 522.1 miles away from Alvin center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 437.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Forest County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Drought: 1, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Alvin:
- DICKINSON IRON DIST HELTH DEPT (Hospital, about 13 miles away; IRON RIVER, MI)
- IRON RIVER CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; IRON RIVER, MI)
- UNITED HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; IRON RIVER, MI)
- NORTHSTAR HEALTH SYSTEM Critical Access Hospitals (about 14 miles away; IRON RIVER, MI)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Alvin:
- Northcentral Technical College (about 79 miles; Wausau, WI; Full-time enrollment: 3,356)
- Northern Michigan University (about 80 miles; Marquette, MI; FT enrollment: 8,258)
- Michigan Technological University (about 81 miles; Houghton, MI; FT enrollment: 6,078)
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (about 106 miles; Green Bay, WI; FT enrollment: 6,069)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (about 106 miles; Stevens Point, WI; FT enrollment: 9,089)
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (about 109 miles; Green Bay, WI; FT enrollment: 5,415)
- Saint Norbert College (about 112 miles; De Pere, WI; FT enrollment: 2,324)
Notable locations in Alvin: Stevens Lake Campground (A), Klocks Resort (B), Windsor Dam Campground (C), Brule River Recreation Area (D), Mile Post Zero and Treaty Tree Point of Interest (E), Alvin Volunteer Fire and Rescue (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Lakeview Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Ramsdell Lake (A), Robinson Lake (B), Stevens Lake (C), Wapoose Lake (D), Killborn Lake (E), Briss Lake (F), Chuks Lake (G), Onimish Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Rivers and creeks: Wilson Creek (A), Lilypad Creek (B), Gaspardo Creek (C), Mainline Creek (D), Charlie Otto Creek (E), Brule Creek (F), Alvin Creek (G), Allen Creek (H), North Branch Pine River (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 57.4. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2010 was 30.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.5 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||1.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 2.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Alvin town (based on Forest County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Forest County:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Forest County:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||14.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
4.48% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,857 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Brown County, WI||0.45% ($58,750 average AGI)|
|from Milwaukee County, WI||0.45% ($39,063)|
|from Oneida County, WI||0.31% ($44,545)|
4.59% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($37,339 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Alvin:
- WIKB (1230 AM; 1 kW; IRON RIVER, MI; Owner: NORTHLAND ADVERTISING, INC.)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WERL (950 AM; 1 kW; EAGLE RIVER, WI)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WDBC (680 AM; 10 kW; ESCANABA, MI; Owner: KMB BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTCM (580 AM; 35 kW; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Owner: WTCM RADIO, INC.)
- WLKD (1570 AM; 5 kW; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: RAVEN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WJMS (590 AM; 5 kW; IRONWOOD, MI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WHBY (1150 AM; 25 kW; KIMBERLY, WI; Owner: WOODWARD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLDR (1210 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KINGSLEY, MI; Owner: FORT BEND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Alvin:
- WIKB-FM (99.1 FM; IRON RIVER, MI; Owner: NORTHLAND ADVERTISING, INC.)
- WRLO-FM (105.3 FM; ANTIGO, WI; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
- WXPR (91.7 FM; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: WHITE PINE COMMUNITY B/CASTING, INC.)
- WRJO (94.5 FM; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: BERNER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- W237AW (95.3 FM; IRON RIVER, MI; Owner: WRVM, INC.)
- WLSL (93.7 FM; THREE LAKES, WI; Owner: RESULTS BROADCASTING OF RHINELANDER, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Alvin:
- WYOW (Channel 34; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: WAOW-WYOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- WJFW-TV (Channel 12; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: NORTHLAND TELEVISION, INC.)
- W54AR (Channel 54; FENCE, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- KTTM (Channel 12; HURON, SD; Owner: INDEPENDENT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBIJ (Channel 4; CRANDON, WI; Owner: SELENKA COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- 990Total average daily traffic
- 56Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,455Total future (year 2012) average daily traffic
Drinking water stations with addresses in Alvin and their reported violations in the past:PINE ACRES PUB LLC (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-06-2008), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-06-2008), St Boil Water Order (NOV-06-2008), St Public Notif issued (DEC-09-2008), St Public Notif received (DEC-09-2008), St Compliance achieved (DEC-17-2008)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- One minor monitoring violation
- 2 regular monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in Alvin that have no violations reported:
- Y NOT HERE (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (71%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (13%)
- Wood (13%)
- Electricity (4%)
Alvin compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2017.