Amite City, Louisiana
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||37.2 years|
|Louisiana median age:||36.5 years|
Zip codes: 70422.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $23,682 (it was $14,565 in 2000)
Amite City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $148,481 (it was $59,000 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $161,164; Detached houses: $161,227; Mobile homes: $51,509
Median gross rent in 2016: $664.
Races in Amite City, LA (2010)
- 2,25454.4%Black alone
- 1,76842.7%White alone
- 270.7%Two or more races
- 230.6%Asian alone
- 50.1%American Indian alone
- 20.05%Other race alone
|Moving to Greensburg LA (St Helena) for Internship.. HELP! (1 reply)|
Latest news from Amite City, LA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (6.6%), Irish (5.4%), English (4.3%), German (3.6%), French (3.2%), Italian (1.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1861
Land area: 3.85 square miles.
Population density: 1,122 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Amite City:
- High school or higher: 75.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 7.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Amite City town:
- Never married: 37.6%
- Now married: 42.3%
- Separated: 4.1%
- Widowed: 5.8%
- Divorced: 10.2%
25 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Louisiana and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Amite City, Louisiana as of February 17, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Amite City to the number of sex offenders is 4,210 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $292 (0.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $292 (0.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Baton Rouge, LA (42.0 miles , pop. 227,818).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (298.8 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Roseland, LA (1.6 miles ), Independence, LA (2.5 miles ), Montpelier, LA (3.1 miles ), Tangipahoa, LA (3.2 miles ), Tickfaw, LA (3.3 miles ), Greensburg, LA (3.4 miles ), Natalbany, LA (3.5 miles ), Kentwood, LA (3.8 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $90,500
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $107,700
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $154,000
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $81,300
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $186,700
- 2006: 50 buildings, average cost: $86,300
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 30.73 N, Longitude: 90.51 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +2,546 (+57.3%)
Workers who live and work in this town: 802 (51.1%)
Area code: 985
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -160 (-3.7%).
- Construction (20%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (17%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (31%)
- Public administration (21%)
- Transportation and warehousing (20%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (9%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (3%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (17%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (15%)
- Transportation occupations (13%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Material moving occupations (9%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (5%)
- Management occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (45%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (9%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Architecture and engineering occupations (6%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (6%)
Average climate in Amite City, Louisiana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Amite City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Louisiana state average. It is 82% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/10/1975, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.2 miles away from the Amite City town center killed 9 people and injured 210 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 2/6/1953, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 14.2 miles away from the town center killed 2 people and injured 21 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Amite City-area historical earthquake activity is below Louisiana state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/10/2006 at 04:14:22, a magnitude 5.3 (4.2 MB, 5.3 MS, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 201.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 194.0 miles away from Amite City center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi) earthquake occurred 389.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 265.7 miles away from the city center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 201.5 miles away from Amite City center
On 12/9/2000 at 06:46:09, a magnitude 4.3 (4.2 MB, 4.3 MS, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 188.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Tangipahoa Parish (25) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 20
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 12, Storms: 8, Floods: 7, Tropical Storms: 4, Drought: 1, Freeze: 1, Tornado: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Lavelle White - Texas blues and soul blues singer, Robert Coleman-Senghor - Professor of English.
Hospitals and medical centers near Amite City:
- HOOD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 1 miles away; AMITE, LA)
- AMITE NH (Nursing Home, about 1 miles away; AMITE, LA)
- TANGI PINES NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 1 miles away; AMITE, LA)
- LALLIE KEMP REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (Hospital, about 4 miles away; INDEPENDENCE, LA)
- JAKE DRIVE COMMUNITY HOME (Hospital, about 15 miles away; HAMMOND, LA)
- LYNN LANE COMMUNITY HOME (Hospital, about 15 miles away; HAMMOND, LA)
- FRANK MARTEN HOUSE (Hospital, about 15 miles away; HAMMOND, LA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Amite City:
- Southeastern Louisiana University (about 16 miles; Hammond, LA; Full-time enrollment: 12,713)
- Baton Rouge Community College (about 43 miles; Baton Rouge, LA; FT enrollment: 5,744)
- Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College (about 43 miles; Baton Rouge, LA; FT enrollment: 27,321)
- Southern University and A & M College (about 43 miles; Baton Rouge, LA; FT enrollment: 5,837)
- University of New Orleans (about 56 miles; New Orleans, LA; FT enrollment: 8,201)
- Delgado Community College (about 57 miles; New Orleans, LA; FT enrollment: 12,843)
- Pearl River Community College (about 58 miles; Poplarville, MS; FT enrollment: 3,074)
Public high school in Amite City:
- AMITE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 543, Location: 403 SOUTH LAUREL STREET, Grades: 8-12)
Private high school in Amite City:
Public elementary/middle schools in Amite City:
- WEST SIDE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 517, Location: 401 WEST OAK STREET, Grades: 4-8)
- AMITE ELEMENTARY MAGNET SCHOOL (Location: 301 VERNON AVENUE, Grades: PK-4)
Private elementary/middle school in Amite City:
Notable locations in Amite City: Louisiana State University AgCenter Tangipahoa Parish Office (A), Tangipahoa Parish Office (B), Amite Police Department (C), Tangipahoa Parish Library Main Office (D), Tangipahoa Parish Main Library (E), Tangipahoa Parish Library Genealogy Branch (F), Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff's Office (G), Tangipahoa Parish Fire District Amite Station (H), Tangipahoa Parish Courthouse (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Shopping Center: Amite Shopping Center (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Amite City include: Little Bethel Church School (A), Greater Refuge Temple (B), Center of Hope (C), Nazarene Church (D), Amite Assembly on the Rock Church (E), Amite Church of Christ (F), Amite Presbyterian Church (G), Butlers African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church (H), Calvary Baptist Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Amite Cemetery (1), Ellis Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 38.5. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.41. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.5 miles away from the city center.
(5.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 28.1% for Black residents, 100.0% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
65 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities in 2010
People in group quarters in Amite City in 2000:
- 523 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 80 people in nursing homes
- 17 people in hospitals/wards and hospices for chronically ill
- 17 people in other hospitals or wards for chronically ill
- 6 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals or wards
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Amite City town (based on Tangipahoa Parish data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Tangipahoa Parish:||2.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Louisiana:||2.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tangipahoa Parish:||1.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|Louisiana:||1.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tangipahoa Parish:||6.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.92 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Amite City, LA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||8||$26,458||$39,687||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||20||$58,351||$35,011||0||$0|
|Police - Other||7||$29,956||$51,353||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||12||$22,233||$22,233||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||1||$3,409||$40,908||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||4||$7,077||$21,231||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||7||$33,901||$58,116||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||66||$203,540||$37,007||0||$0|
Amite City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Financial Administration: $777,000 ($179.57)
Police Protection: $540,000 ($124.80)
Regular Highways: $444,000 ($102.61)
Water Utilities: $180,000 ($41.60)
Sewerage: $151,000 ($34.90)
Solid Waste Management: $126,000 ($29.12)
Parks & Recreation: $78,000 ($18.03)
Miscellaneous Commercial Activities, NEC: $76,000 ($17.56)
General - Other: $50,000 ($11.56)
Fire Protection: $10,000 ($2.31)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - Fire Protection: $181,000 ($41.83)
Health: $8,000 ($1.85)
General: $7,000 ($1.62)
Police Protection: $2,000 ($0.46)
- Intergovernmental to State - Regular Highways: $9,000 ($2.08)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $923,000 ($213.31)
Amite City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $268,000 ($61.94)
Sewerage: $106,000 ($24.50)
Miscellaneous Commercial Activities: $27,000 ($6.24)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $18,000 ($4.16)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $51,000 ($11.79)
Interest Earnings: $22,000 ($5.08)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $247,000 ($57.08)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $117,000 ($27.04)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $1,380,000 ($318.93)
NEC: $222,000 ($51.31)
Public Utilities: $105,000 ($24.27)
Property: $93,000 ($21.49)
Amite City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $618,000 ($142.82)
6.61% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,145 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($83 average AGI)
Tangipahoa Parish: 0.03% Louisiana average: 0.05%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Livingston Parish, LA||0.94% ($28,403 average AGI)|
|from St. Tammany Parish, LA||0.92% ($31,892)|
|from Jefferson Parish, LA||0.63% ($43,618)|
6.05% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,716 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved to foreign countries ($116 average AGI)
Tangipahoa Parish: 0.04% Louisiana average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Amite City:
- WABL (1570 AM; 1 kW; AMITE, LA; Owner: SPOTLIGHT BROADCASTING LLC)
- WOMN (1110 AM; daytime; 30 kW; FRANKLINTON, LA; Owner: PITTMAN BROADCASTING SERVICES, LLC.)
- WWL (870 AM; 50 kW; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: ENTERCOM NEW ORLEANS LICENSE, LLC)
- WLNO (1060 AM; 50 kW; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: COMMUNICOM CO. OF LOUISIANA, L.P.)
- WSKR (1210 AM; 10 kW; DENHAM SPRINGS, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WAPF (980 AM; 5 kW; MCCOMB, MS; Owner: SAN-DOW BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTIX (690 AM; 10 kW; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: WTIX, INC.)
- WJNT (1180 AM; 50 kW; PEARL, MS; Owner: BUCHANAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WFPR (1400 AM; 1 kW; HAMMOND, LA; Owner: GUARANTY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF NEW ORLEANS, LLC)
- WHNY (1250 AM; 5 kW; MCCOMB, MS; Owner: C.W.H. BROADCASTING INC.)
- WFNO (830 AM; 5 kW; NORCO, LA; Owner: WFNO, L.L.C.)
- WYLD (940 AM; 10 kW; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Amite City:
- WTGG (96.5 FM; AMITE, LA; Owner: SOUTHWEST BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEMX (94.1 FM; KENTWOOD, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHMD (107.1 FM; HAMMOND, LA; Owner: GUARANTY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF NEW ORLEANS, LLC)
- WBBE (103.3 FM; HAMMOND, LA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KSTE-FM (104.1 FM; HOUMA, LA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKW-FM (92.3 FM; LAPLACE, LA; Owner: 222 CORPORATION)
- WDGL (98.1 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: GUARANTY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF BATON ROUGE, LLC)
- WYPY (100.7 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: GUARANTY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF BATON ROUGE, LLC)
- WFMF (102.5 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WYNK-FM (101.5 FM; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WUUU (98.9 FM; FRANKLINTON, LA; Owner: PITTMAN BROADCASTING SERVICES, LLC.)
- WQCK (92.7 FM; CLINTON, LA; Owner: BETHANY WORLD PRAYER CENTER, INC.)
- WKSY (106.1 FM; PICAYUNE, MS; Owner: GUARANTY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF NEW ORLEANS, LLC)
- KSLU (90.9 FM; HAMMOND, LA; Owner: SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY)
TV broadcast stations around Amite City:
- WSTY-LP (Channel 23; HAMMOND, LA; Owner: AMERICAN TELEVISION, INC.)
- WAFB (Channel 9; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: WAFB, L.L.C)
- WBRZ-TV (Channel 2; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: LOUISIANA TELEVISION BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WVLA (Channel 33; BATON ROUGE, LA; Owner: KNIGHT BROADCASTING OF BATON ROUGE LIC. CORP.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 12Number of bridges
- 38m125ftTotal length
- $1,720,000Total costs
- 105,700Total average daily traffic
- 20,200Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (53%)
- Utility gas (47%)
Businesses in Amite City, LA
- Walgreens: 1
Amite City compared to Louisiana state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Amite City on our top lists:
- #21 on the list of "Top 101 cities where residents moved more then 10 years ago (1,000+ households)"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) (population 1,000+)"
- #101 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other hospitals or wards for chronically ill (population 1,000+)"
- #21 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #59 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest increase in the number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2006 to 2007-2013 (pop 50,000+)"
- #66 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #68 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2007-2013"
- #72 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the most Black Protestant congregations"