We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||45.9 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip code: 04471
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $21,019 (it was $13,484 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $92,540 (it was $54,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $125,039; Detached houses: $133,261; Townhouses or other attached units: $227,405; In 2-unit structures: $202,827; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $29,654; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $218,247; Mobile homes: $46,901; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $121,366
Races in Amity, ME (2010)
- 23699.2%White alone
- 10.4%American Indian alone
- 10.4%Two or more races
Ancestries: English (41.2%), Irish (29.1%), French (22.6%), German (13.6%), Scottish (8.0%), Dutch (3.5%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/19/1836
Land area: 42.1 square miles.
Population density: 5.6 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Amity:
- High school or higher: 77.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 12.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Amity town:
- Never married: 17.6%
- Now married: 75.2%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 0.7%
- Divorced: 6.5%
4 residents are foreign born (2.0% North America).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Amity, Maine as of November 16, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Amity to the number of sex offenders is 238 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Amity town:||0.9% ($500)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (196.6 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (296.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (463.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Orient, ME (2.8 miles) , Hodgdon, ME (2.9 miles ), Haynesville, ME (3.1 miles) , Linneus, ME (3.3 miles ), Houlton, ME (3.6 miles ), Weston, ME (3.7 miles ), New Limerick, ME (3.8 miles ), Ludlow, ME (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 4 buildings, average cost: $11,300
- 1999: 4 buildings, average cost: $11,300
- 2000: 4 buildings, average cost: $11,300
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $11,300
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $25,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $25,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $25,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $25,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 45.93 N, Longitude: 67.85 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (22%)
- Construction (17%)
- Air transportation (8%)
- Personal and laundry services (8%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Plastics and rubber products (6%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Health care (32%)
- Public administration (16%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (12%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Other direct selling establishments (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (28%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Entertainers and performers, sports, and related workers (8%)
- Air transportation workers (8%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (20%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (16%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (16%)
- Computer specialists (12%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (12%)
- Cashiers (8%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (8%)
Average climate in Amity, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Amity-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 110.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 302.8 miles away from Amity center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 79.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 345.9 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 249.4 miles away from Amity center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 46.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Amity:
- HARMONY (Hospital, about 13 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- FOREST SPRINGS (Hospital, about 13 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- MADIGAN HOME HEALTH CARE, INC. (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- MADIGAN ESTATES (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- HOULTON REGIONAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 14 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- THE HOULTON REG PROG CARE FAC (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Amity:
- University of Maine (about 82 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 89 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 142 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 146 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 195 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 197 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 197 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Church in Amity: Amity Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Amity Cemetery (1), South Amity Cemetery (2), Spurr Cemetery (3), Estabrook Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Swamps: Davis Brook Bog (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Tracy Brook (A), Second Brook (B), Williams Brook (C), Greenleaf Brook (D), First Brook (E), Jay Brook (F), Meadow Brook (G), Glendenning Brook (H), Moose Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2000 was 23.7. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 22.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Amity town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Amity:
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Amity:
- WHOU-FM (100.1 FM; HOULTON, ME; Owner: COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- $150,000Total costs
- 22,879Total average daily traffic
- 2,514Total average daily truck traffic
- 32,035Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KB1EAN, Licensee ID: L00145653, Grant Date: 05/03/1999, Expiration Date: 05/03/2009, Cancellation Date: 04/05/2005, Registrant: Patricia A Miller, 1131 Estabrook Rd, Amity, ME 04471
- Call Sign: N1PAM, Previous Call Sign: KB1EAN, Licensee ID: L00145653, Grant Date: 04/05/2005, Expiration Date: 04/05/2015, Certifier: Patricia A Miller, Registrant: Patricia A Miller, 1131 Estabrook Rd, Amity, ME 04471
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (72%)
- Wood (28%)
Amity compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.