We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||51.1 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04216.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $25,441 (it was $20,253 in 2000)
Andover town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $133,325 (it was $78,800 in 2000)
Races in Andover, ME (2010)
- 81198.8%White alone
- 40.5%Two or more races
- 30.4%American Indian alone
- 30.4%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing industry sectors in the Northeast are Construction-related Apr 25
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
|Moving to Andover Maine (9 replies)|
|Andover area questions (3 replies)|
|Unorganized Territories in Maine... (33 replies)|
|Differences between Rangeley Lake, & Moosehead Lake, (5 replies)|
|The march of religious discrimination stops at the Maine State Line! (5 replies)|
|Homesick (51 replies)|
Latest news from Andover, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (38.0%), French (20.8%), Irish (10.6%), German (9.7%), Scottish (6.3%), United States (5.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 06/23/1804
Elevation: 723 feet
Land area: 57.4 square miles.
Population density: 14 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Andover:
- High school or higher: 84.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Andover town:
- Never married: 21.4%
- Now married: 64.5%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 5.5%
- Divorced: 6.6%
18 residents are foreign born (1.6% North America, 0.5% Europe).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Andover, Maine as of April 25, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Andover to the number of sex offenders is 455 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Andover town:||1.2% ($922)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (71.2 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (160.8 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (306.1 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Roxbury, ME (2.4 miles ), Byron, ME (2.9 miles) , Hanover, ME (3.1 miles ), Newry, ME (3.2 miles ), Rumford, ME (3.4 miles ), Mexico, ME (3.4 miles ), Upton, ME (3.6 miles) , Bethel, ME (3.9 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $42,100
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $33,000
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $45,000
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $43,000
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $55,700
- 2003: 6 buildings, average cost: $44,200
- 2004: 17 buildings, average cost: $66,900
- 2005: 7 buildings, average cost: $32,900
- 2006: 5 buildings, average cost: $95,000
- 2007: 14 buildings, average cost: $47,200
- 2008: 7 buildings, average cost: $84,400
- 2009: 5 buildings, average cost: $84,400
- 2010: 5 buildings, average cost: $84,400
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.63 N, Longitude: 70.75 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Wood products (20%)
- Paper (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Construction (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Broadcasting and telecommunications (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Health care (16%)
- Wood products (14%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Paper (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Woodworkers (8%)
- Engineers (7%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Woodworkers (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (4%)
Average climate in Andover, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Andover-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 146.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 183.8 miles away from Andover center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 89.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 130.2 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 43.0 miles away from Andover center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 16.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Oxford County (28) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 21
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 18, Storms: 15, Snows: 7, Hurricanes: 3, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Henry Varnum Poor - Businessman.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Andover:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 30 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 52 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 58 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 72 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 74 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- Plymouth State University (about 77 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- University of New England (about 84 miles; Biddeford, ME; FT enrollment: 4,539)
Public elementary/middle school in Andover:
- ANDOVER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 56, Location: 85 PINE ST 70, Grades: KG-5)
Notable locations in Andover: Andover Fire Department Substation (A), Andover Public Library (B), Andover Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Andover include: First Congregational Church (A), Calvary Congregational Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Farmers Hill Cemetery (1), Andover Cemetery (2), Woodlawn Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and swamps: Horseshoe Pond (A), Santiago Bog (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Abbott Brook (A), Stony Brook (B), Lone Brook (C), West Branch Ellis River (D), Sawyer Brook (E), Moody Brook (F), Gardner Brook (G), Horseshoe Brook (H), Burroughs Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Andover Guest House (South Main) (1), Pine Ellis Lodging (20 Pine Street) (2). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 38.2. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2004 was 3.52. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 10.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 11.5. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 12.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.53. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 11.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Andover town (based on Oxford County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Oxford County:||2.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oxford County:||2.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oxford County:||7.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.32% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,840 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Androscoggin County, ME||1.17% ($32,016 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.84% ($32,057)|
|from York County, ME||0.34% ($35,114)|
5.44% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,857 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Andover:
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WLAM (1470 AM; 5 kW; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMOU (1230 AM; 1 kW; BERLIN, NH; Owner: JERICHO BROADCASTING COMPANY, L.L.C.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Andover:
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMEA (90.1 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBLM (102.9 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKTJ-FM (99.3 FM; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: FRANKLIN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Andover:
- WGME-TV (Channel 13; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: WGME LICENSEE, LLC)
- WMTW-TV (Channel 8; POLAND SPRING, ME; Owner: WMTW BROADCAST GROUP, LLC)
Andover fatal accident list:
Jul 4, 1984 00:25 AM, 50855130, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Sep 16, 1983 11:00 PM, 10615086, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 14Number of bridges
- 30m98ftTotal length
- $7,039,000Total costs
- 19,118Total average daily traffic
- 1,295Total average daily truck traffic
- 27,507Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1Before 1900
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- ANDOVER, Lat: 44.746611 Lon: -70.906389, Call Sign: WQHP610
Assigned Frequencies: 956.381 MHzGrant Date: 09/27/2007, Expiration Date: 09/27/2017, Certifier: Kelly ScottiRegistrant: Business Radio Licensing, 30251 Golden Lantern, Suite E # 501, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677, Phone: (949) 348-8510, Fax: (949) 348-8514, Email:
- ANDOVER, 2.6 Mi East Of (Lat: 44.633667 Lon: -70.699500), Overall height: 8.2 m, Call Sign: KCK64
Assigned Frequencies: 10715.0 MHz, 10775.0 MHz, 10795.0 MHz, 10855.0 MHz, 10875.0 MHz, 11015.0 MHz, 11035.0 MHz, 11175.0 MHzGrant Date: 11/29/1989, Expiration Date: 01/27/1998, Cancellation Date: 01/27/1998Registrant: At&t Corp, 1200 Peachtree St 15w24, Atlanta, GA 30309
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KB1VUZ, Licensee ID: L01643014, Grant Date: 06/07/2011, Expiration Date: 06/07/2021, Certifier: Scott L Owings, Registrant: Scott L Owings, Andover, ME 04216
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: CESSNA 180 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 121 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR O-470 SERIES (230 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2354C , Serial Number: 30654, Year manufactured: 1953, Airworthiness Date: 12/14/1955
Registrant (Individual): David L White, Po Box 40, Andover, ME 04216
- Aircraft: CESSNA 140 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C90 SERIES (95 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2523N , Serial Number: 10959, Year manufactured: 1946, Airworthiness Date: 01/03/1979
Registrant (Individual): Jeff J Bossie, 59 Pine St, Andover, ME 04216
- Aircraft: SIX CHUTER SR7 XL (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 582 (65 HP) (2 Cycle)
N-Number: 84PM , Serial Number: 2266, Year manufactured: 1999, Airworthiness Date: 11/15/2007
Registrant (Individual): Michael D Macknight, 122 Rumford Center Rd, Andover, ME 04216
Drinking water stations with addresses in Andover and their reported violations in the past:ANDOVER WATER DISTRICT (Population served: 275, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:LAKEWOOD CAMPS AT MIDDLEDAM (Population served: 75, Groundwater):
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2008, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-13-2009), St Formal NOV issued (FEB-13-2009), St Compliance achieved (AUG-29-2011), St Intentional no-action (SEP-15-2011)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2006, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-20-2007), St Violation/Reminder Notice (FEB-20-2007), St Compliance achieved (JUL-21-2008), St Intentional no-action (SEP-15-2011)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JAN-11-2005, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- 2 regular monitoring violations
Past monitoring violations:
- One regular monitoring violation
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (58%)
- Wood (37%)
- Electricity (3%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Andover compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2017.