|Median resident age:||41.8 years|
|Texas median age:||30.8 years|
Zip codes: 76351.
Archer City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $62,178 (it was $39,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $607.
- White alone - 1,531 (90.6%)
- Black alone - 32 (1.9%)
- Asian alone - 30 (1.8%)
- American Indian alone - 28 (1.7%)
- Hispanic - 21 (1.2%)
- Two or more races - 12 (0.7%)
|Is East Texas culturally part of the Deep South? (455 replies)|
|Wichita Falls/Archer City,TX (12 replies)|
|Wichita Falls-TIA for feedback-moving there soon (54 replies)|
|Pronouncing local place names! (224 replies)|
|Best Texas Movie - Last Picture Show (74 replies)|
|uk couple visitng dallas (14 replies)|
Latest news from Archer City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (15.8%), German (14.7%), English (12.7%), French (5.5%), Scottish (4.0%), United States (3.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1069 feet
Land area: 2.21 square miles.
Population density: 793 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Archer City:
- High school or higher: 84.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Archer City city:
- Never married: 17.9%
- Now married: 60.4%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 8.6%
- Divorced: 12.4%
43 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Archer City, Texas as of July 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Archer City to the number of sex offenders is 882 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,011 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $822 (1.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Wichita Falls, TX (21.9 miles , pop. 104,197).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fort Worth, TX (95.4 miles , pop. 534,694).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (119.8 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Scotland, TX (3.3 miles ), Windthorst, TX (3.3 miles ), Holliday, TX (4.0 miles ), Lakeside City, TX (4.1 miles ), Olney, TX (4.2 miles ), Jean-Loving, TX (4.4 miles ), Megargel, TX (4.5 miles ), Wichita Falls, TX (4.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $103,100
- 2002: 2 buildings, average cost: $82,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $110,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $48,000
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $205,000
- 2007: 3 buildings, average cost: $181,700
- 2008: 6 buildings, average cost: $21,100
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $180,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $90,000
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $107,700
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $150,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 33.59 N, Longitude: 98.63 W
Area code: 940
|Crime rates in Archer City by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 261.1)||68.5||118.9||61.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Archer City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.07|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (20%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (18%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
- Construction (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Utilities (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Other services, except public administration (12%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (10%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Child care workers (6%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
Average climate in Archer City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Archer City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 81% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1964, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 22.4 miles away from the Archer City city center killed 7 people and injured 111 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/18/1951, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 14.0 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and injured 100 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Archer City-area historical earthquake activity is near Texas state average. It is 72% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 129.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 360.5 miles away from Archer City center
On 4/28/1998 at 14:13:01, a magnitude 4.2 (3.9 MB, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 83.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 145.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1995 at 15:51:39, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 100.7 miles away from Archer City center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 273.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Archer County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 5, Hurricanes: 4, Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 3 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Larry McMurtry - Historian.
Hospitals and medical centers in Archer City:
Airports located in Archer City:
- Archer City Municipal Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 100, Local Ops: 200)
- Hornady Ranch Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Archer City:
- Midwestern State University (about 21 miles; Wichita Falls, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,901)
- Vernon College (about 56 miles; Vernon, TX; FT enrollment: 2,216)
- Cameron University (about 71 miles; Lawton, OK; FT enrollment: 4,695)
- Weatherford College (about 77 miles; Weatherford, TX; FT enrollment: 4,080)
- North Central Texas College (about 85 miles; Gainesville, TX; FT enrollment: 6,550)
- Western Oklahoma State College (about 85 miles; Altus, OK; FT enrollment: 2,054)
- Cisco College (about 86 miles; Cisco, TX; FT enrollment: 2,687)
Public high school in Archer City:
- Archer City High School (Students: 221; Location: 600 S ASH ST; Grades: 7-12; Our rating: 71)
Public elementary/middle school in Archer City:
- Archer City Elementary School (Students: 262; Location: 602 S ASH ST; Grades: EE-6; Our rating: 91)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- Location of the motion picture "The Last Picture Show" which starred Jeff Bridges, Timothy Bottoms, and newcomer Cybil Shepard.
Notable locations in Archer City: Archer City Fire Department (A), Archer City Ambulance Service (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Archer City include: Burkett Park (1), Berry Stadium (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
(22.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 40.0% for Black residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
10 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities in 2010
33 people in nursing homes in 2000
8 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Archer City compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Archer City (2011 data):
- State National Bank of Texas: Archer City Branch at 201 South Center Street, branch established on 1996/04/01. Info updated 2007/05/08: Bank assets: $207.1 mil, Deposits: $186.6 mil, headquarters in Iowa Park, TX, positive income, 8 total offices, Holding Company: North Central Texas Bancshares, Inc.
- American National Bank: Archer City Branch at 111 S. Center, branch established on 2007/04/16. Info updated 2007/09/14: Bank assets: $467.3 mil, Deposits: $400.6 mil, headquarters in Wichita Falls, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Ameribancshares, Inc.
- Wells Fargo Bank, National Association: Archer City Branch at 200 North Center Street, branch established on 1909/10/01. Info updated 2011/04/05: Bank assets: $1,161,490.0 mil, Deposits: $905,653.0 mil, headquarters in Sioux Falls, SD, positive income, 6395 total offices, Holding Company: Wells Fargo & Company
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (56%)
- Electricity (41%)
- Wood (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Archer City city (based on Archer County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 71.57%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Archer County:||2.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Archer County:||5.58 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||1.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$5,945||$35,670||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||2||$5,652||$33,912||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,613||$31,356||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||1||$133|
|Totals for Government||13||$43,641||$40,284||9||$6,616|
8.13% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,217 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Wichita County, TX||4.00% ($41,892 average AGI)|
|from Young County, TX||0.57% ($24,000)|
|from Clay County, TX||0.40% ($33,917)|
11.50% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,645 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Archer City:
- KCAF (990 AM; 10 kW; FARMERSVILLE, TX; Owner: RENAISSANCE RADIO, INC.)
- KWFS (1290 AM; 5 kW; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KBIS (1150 AM; 25 kW; HIGHLAND PARK, TX; Owner: DALLAS AM RADIO PARTNERS, L.P.)
- KOMA (1520 AM; 50 kW; OKLAHOMA CITY, OK; Owner: RENDA BROADCASTING CORP. OF NEVADA)
- KSKY (660 AM; 20 kW; BALCH SPRINGS, TX; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KHVN (970 AM; 10 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: MORTENSON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Archer City:
- KWFS-FM (102.3 FM; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KBZS (106.3 FM; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KQXC-FM (103.9 FM; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KLUR (99.9 FM; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KTEO (90.5 FM; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CORNERSTONE UNIVERSITY)
- KWRD-FM (100.7 FM; HIGHLAND VILLAGE, TX; Owner: INSPIRATION MEDIA OF TEXAS, L.L.C.)
- KMOC (89.5 FM; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CHRISTIAN SERVICE FOUNDATION, INC.)
- KYYI (104.7 FM; BURKBURNETT, TX; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KSEY-FM (94.3 FM; SEYMOUR, TX; Owner: MARK V. AULABAUGH)
- K202DR (88.3 FM; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: NORTH TEXAS PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Archer City:
- KFDX-TV (Channel 3; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF WICHITA FALLS, L.L.C.)
- KAUZ-TV (Channel 6; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CHELSEY BROADCASTING COMPANY OF WICHITA FALLS, LLC)
- KSWO-TV (Channel 7; LAWTON, OK; Owner: KSWO TELEVISION COMPANY, INC.)
- K24AD (Channel 24; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: NORTH TEXAS PUBLIC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K26DL (Channel 26; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
- KJBO-LP (Channel 35; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: MISSION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KJTL (Channel 18; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: MISSION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K22FE (Channel 22; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: LOCKE SUPPLY CO.)
- K30DJ (Channel 30; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CHRISTIAN FAMILY NETWORK, INC.)
- K20DN (Channel 20; WICHITA FALLS, TX; Owner: CHRISTIAN FAMILY NETWORK TV, INC.)
Archer City fatal accident list:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 9
- Hazardous Condition: 8
- Service Call: 1
Incident types - Archer City
|Most common first names in Archer City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Archer City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Archer City, TX
- FedEx: 1
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2015.