|Median resident age:||46.0 years|
|Arkansas median age:||37.8 years|
Zip codes: 71630.
Arkansas City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $34,112 (it was $26,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $400.
- White alone - 184 (50.3%)
- Black alone - 172 (47.0%)
- Hispanic - 4 (1.1%)
- American Indian alone - 2 (0.5%)
- Other race alone - 2 (0.5%)
- Two or more races - 2 (0.5%)
|Pictures of Arkansas (447 replies)|
|Texarkana Development & Discussion (33 replies)|
|Is is illegal in Arkansas to mispronounce Ar-kan-saw? (13 replies)|
|Okay, how about Northwest Arkansas?? (28 replies)|
|Dry towns...how do you know? (27 replies)|
|Weather and Information for Arkansas (0 replies)|
Latest news from Arkansas City, AR collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (15.0%), Irish (13.9%), United States (8.8%), German (1.8%), Dutch (1.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 09/12/1873
Elevation: 136 feet
Land area: 0.48 square miles.
Population density: 730 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Arkansas City:
- High school or higher: 82.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.2%
- Unemployed: 12.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Arkansas City city:
- Never married: 25.5%
- Now married: 45.8%
- Separated: 8.3%
- Widowed: 11.9%
- Divorced: 8.5%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Arkansas and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Arkansas City, Arkansas as of May 03, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Arkansas City to the number of sex offenders is 351 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $326 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $199 (0.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pine Bluff, AR (63.1 miles , pop. 55,085).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (125.9 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (327.9 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: McGehee, AR (3.3 miles ), Benoit, MS (3.4 miles ), Dermott, AR (3.8 miles ), Reed, AR (3.9 miles ), Metcalfe, MS (4.0 miles ), Tillar, AR (4.0 miles ), Greenville, MS (4.1 miles ), Beulah, MS (4.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $25,000
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $25,000
- 2003: 5 buildings, average cost: $40,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 33.61 N, Longitude: 91.20 W
Area code: 870
|Crime rates in Arkansas City by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 299.0)||253.2||239.9||138.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Arkansas City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.78|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (34%)
- Public administration (16%)
- Construction (12%)
- Health care and social assistance (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Educational services (53%)
- Public administration (19%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Health care and social assistance (5%)
- Manufacturing (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Farmers and farm managers (16%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (14%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (16%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (10%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
Average climate in Arkansas City, Arkansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Arkansas City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Arkansas state average. It is 78% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/24/2001, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 11.3 miles away from the Arkansas City city center injured 48 people and caused $4 million in damages.
On 4/17/1978, a category F4 tornado 15.2 miles away from the city center injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Arkansas City-area historical earthquake activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 148.9 miles away from the city center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 122.3 miles away from Arkansas City center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 124.0 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 218.8 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 01:00:11, a magnitude 4.5 (4.1 MB, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 144.4 miles away from Arkansas City center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 184.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Desha County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 6, Floods: 5, Winter Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: John H. Johnson - Businessman.
Hospitals and medical centers near Arkansas City:
- DELTA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL HHA (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; DUMAS, AR)
- DESHA COUNTY HEALTH UNIT (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; DUMAS, AR)
- HOSPICE CARE FOUNDATION, INC (Hospital, about 12 miles away; MCGEHEE, AR)
- PINE BLUFF DIALYSIS - KIDNEY CTR OF MCGEHEE (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; MCGEHEE, AR)
- SOUTHERN HERITAGE HEALTH AND REHABILITATION, LLC (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; MCGEHEE, AR)
- LEISURE LODGE INC MCGEHEE (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; MCGEHEE, AR)
- DERMOTT CITY NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; DERMOTT, AR)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Arkansas City:
- Delta State University (about 29 miles; Cleveland, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,304)
- University of Arkansas at Monticello (about 36 miles; Monticello, AR; FT enrollment: 3,130)
- Mississippi Delta Community College (about 43 miles; Moorhead, MS; FT enrollment: 2,100)
- Mississippi Valley State University (about 51 miles; Itta Bena, MS; FT enrollment: 2,233)
- Coahoma Community College (about 58 miles; Clarksdale, MS; FT enrollment: 2,284)
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (about 65 miles; Pine Bluff, AR; FT enrollment: 2,558)
- Holmes Community College (about 87 miles; Goodman, MS; FT enrollment: 5,352)
Notable locations in Arkansas City: Arkansas City Police Department (A), Desha County Sheriff's Office (B), Desha County Courthouse (C), Arkansas City Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Arkansas City: Arkansas City Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Arkansas City that have no violations reported:
- ARKANSAS CITY WATERWORKS (Population served: 535, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(9.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 32.0% for Black residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Arkansas City compared to Arkansas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Arkansas City (2011 data):
- McGehee Bank: Teller's Window Branch at Highway 4, branch established on 1937/07/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $115.5 mil, Deposits: $96.8 mil, headquarters in Mcgehee, AR, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Mcgehee Bank Employee Stock Ownership Plan The
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (54%)
- Electricity (41%)
- No fuel used (4%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Arkansas City city (based on Desha County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 62.23%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||American Baptist Association||Assemblies of God||Baptist Missionary Association of America|
|Name||Church of the Nazarene||Catholic Church||Churches of Christ||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Desha County:||4.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||2.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Desha County:||1.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||0.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|Desha County:||2.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||6||$1,446|
|Police Protection - Officers||1||$5,949||$71,388||1||$402|
|Streets and Highways||1||$4,870||$58,440||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||3||$14,009||$56,036||9||$4,838|
Arkansas City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $105,000 ($300.86)
Financial Administration: $74,000 ($212.03)
Sewerage: $70,000 ($200.57)
Regular Highways: $44,000 ($126.07)
General - Other: $14,000 ($40.11)
Police Protection: $13,000 ($37.25)
Solid Waste Management: $3,000 ($8.60)
Health Services - Other: $1,000 ($2.87)
- Other Capital Outlay - General - Other: $104,000 ($297.99)
Solid Waste Management: $15,000 ($42.98)
Financial Administration: $2,000 ($5.73)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $82,000 ($234.96)
Arkansas City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $147,000 ($421.20)
All Other: $9,000 ($25.79)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $52,000 ($149.00)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $26,000 ($74.50)
Interest Earnings: $6,000 ($17.19)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $220,000 ($630.37)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $102,000 ($292.26)
Highways: $42,000 ($120.34)
General Support: $10,000 ($28.65)
- Tax - Public Utilities: $16,000 ($45.85)
Property: $5,000 ($14.33)
Arkansas City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Bond Fund - Cash & Deposits: $0 ($0.00)
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $192,000 ($550.14)
5.59% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($23,546 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Drew County, AR||0.68% ($21,552 average AGI)|
|from Pulaski County, AR||0.65% ($25,607)|
|from Chicot County, AR||0.49% ($24,762)|
7.27% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,604 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Arkansas City:
- WGVM (1260 AM; 2 kW; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: MID-AMERICA BROADCASTING COMPANY,INC)
- KVSA (1220 AM; 1 kW; MCGEHEE, AR; Owner: SOUTHEAST ARKANSAS BROADCASTERS,INC.)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WJNT (1180 AM; 50 kW; PEARL, MS; Owner: BUCHANAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WDDT (900 AM; 1 kW; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: WILLIS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNIX (1330 AM; 1 kW; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: THE RIVER BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Arkansas City:
- KRKD (105.7 FM; DERMOTT, AR; Owner: DELTA RADIO, INC.)
- WDMS (100.7 FM; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: MID-AMERICA BROADCASTING CO.)
- WIQQ (102.3 FM; LELAND, MS; Owner: THE RIVER BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KXSA-FM (103.1 FM; DERMOTT, AR; Owner: COMMUNITY RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KUUZ (95.9 FM; LAKE VILLAGE, AR; Owner: FAMILY WORSHIP CENTER CHURCH, INC.)
- WMAO-FM (90.9 FM; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WBAD (94.3 FM; LELAND, MS; Owner: INTERCHANGE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Arkansas City:
- WABG-TV (Channel 6; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WXVT (Channel 15; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: SAGA BROADCASTING, LLC)
- K53FB (Channel 53; EL DORADO, AR; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WMAO-TV (Channel 23; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- W33BH (Channel 33; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Arkansas City fatal accident list:
|Most common first names in Arkansas City, AR among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Arkansas City, AR among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Arkansas City on our top lists:
- #13 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses"
- #22 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Paper"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Paper"
- #31 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations"
- #54 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Advertising, marketing, promotions, public relations, and sales managers"
- #55 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Public administration"