Arthur: Relaxing small-town atmosphere with Amish overtones
Arthur: Property of Amish House in Arthur, IL
Arthur: Park the buggy.....
Arthur: Stay in your lane and I will stay in mine
Arthur: Pumpkin House
Arthur: Buggy parking located behind the visitors center in downtown Arthur.
Submit your own pictures of this village and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||37.1 years|
|Illinois median age:||37.2 years|
Zip codes: 61911.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $23,536 (it was $19,683 in 2000)
Arthur village income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $90,429 (it was $70,100 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $675.
Races in Arthur, IL (2010)
- 2,23797.8%White alone
- 80.3%Two or more races
- 40.2%Asian alone
- 30.1%Black alone
- 20.09%American Indian alone
|Does anyone think we're entering another real estate bubble? (220 replies)|
|Why is the Chicago "Blaccent" More Southern than Boston/NYC/Philly's? (249 replies)|
|What are the best Chicago movies? (89 replies)|
|Baby Shot on South Side (172 replies)|
|I don't get the Blackhawks mania? (98 replies)|
|The most underrated neighborhood in Chicago (514 replies)|
Latest news from Arthur, IL collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (36.6%), United States (14.8%), English (10.3%), Irish (6.8%), Scottish (3.2%), Scotch-Irish (1.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 09/10/1877
Elevation: 662 feet
Land area: 1.28 square miles.
Population density: 1,792 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Arthur:
- High school or higher: 86.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 0.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Arthur village:
- Never married: 25.9%
- Now married: 52.4%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 7.9%
- Divorced: 13.2%
68 residents are foreign born (2.3% Latin America, 0.4% Europe).
According to our research of Illinois and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Arthur, Illinois as of September 02, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Arthur to the number of sex offenders is 571 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $2,059 (2.2%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $1,798 (2.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Decatur, IL (26.9 miles , pop. 81,860).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Louis, MO (121.2 miles , pop. 348,189).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (152.7 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Atwood, IL (2.4 miles ), Garrett, IL (2.5 miles) , Hammond, IL (2.9 miles ), Lovington, IL (3.0 miles ), Arcola, IL (3.0 miles ), Sullivan, IL (3.3 miles ), Humboldt, IL (3.3 miles ), Allenville, IL (3.4 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 5 buildings, average cost: $102,400
- 1998: 6 buildings, average cost: $79,200
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $123,700
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $218,300
- 2001: 3 buildings, average cost: $55,000
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $98,300
- 2003: 6 buildings, average cost: $120,800
- 2004: 10 buildings, average cost: $101,800
- 2005: 3 buildings, average cost: $146,700
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $134,500
- 2007: 4 buildings, average cost: $142,300
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $136,000
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $175,000
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $225,000
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $157,700
- 2012: 3 buildings, average cost: $143,300
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.72 N, Longitude: 88.47 W
Area code: 217
|Crime rates in Arthur by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||65.5||77.1||77.7||71.5||74.2||116.0||143.2||188.6||158.7||95.3||130.7||153.7||131.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Arthur detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.76|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (39%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Construction (12%)
- Wholesale trade (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (24%)
- Manufacturing (22%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Retail trade (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (14%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (13%)
- Production occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (7%)
- Architecture and engineering occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Production occupations (13%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (6%)
- Personal care and service occupations (5%)
Average climate in Arthur, Illinois
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Arthur-area historical tornado activity is near Illinois state average. It is 74% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/20/1976, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 18.5 miles away from the Arthur village center injured 18 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/22/1963, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 12.1 miles away from the village center injured 40 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Arthur-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Illinois state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 92.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 69.3 miles away from Arthur center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 125.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 92.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/3/1974 at 23:05:02, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG) earthquake occurred 80.3 miles away from Arthur center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 185.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Douglas County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 6, Floods: 4, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Arthur:
Other hospitals and medical centers near Arthur:
- MOULTRIE CO COMMUNITY CENTER (Hospital, about 9 miles away; LOVINGTON, IL)
- EASTVIEW TERRACE (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; SULLIVAN, IL)
- PATTERSON HOUSE (Hospital, about 11 miles away; SULLIVAN, IL)
- COMMUNITY HOMECARE, INC (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; SULLIVAN, IL)
- TUSCOLA HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; TUSCOLA, IL)
- DOUGLAS COUNTY-JARMAN MEM HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 12 miles away; TUSCOLA, IL)
- SULLIVAN REHAB AND HLTH CARE CTR (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; SULLIVAN, IL)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Arthur:
- Lake Land College (about 21 miles; Mattoon, IL; Full-time enrollment: 7,499)
- Eastern Illinois University (about 23 miles; Charleston, IL; FT enrollment: 9,414)
- Richland Community College (about 26 miles; Decatur, IL; FT enrollment: 2,434)
- Millikin University (about 29 miles; Decatur, IL; FT enrollment: 2,419)
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (about 31 miles; Champaign, IL; FT enrollment: 47,528)
- Parkland College (about 31 miles; Champaign, IL; FT enrollment: 7,326)
- Danville Area Community College (about 55 miles; Danville, IL; FT enrollment: 2,229)
Public high school in Arthur:
- Arthur Senior High School (Location: 301 E Columbia St; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Arthur:
Private elementary/middle schools in Arthur:
- ARTHUR CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 48; Location: RR1 BOX 194B; Grades: PK - 11)
- PRAIRIE LANE AMISH SCHOOL (Students: 40; Location: 221 E CR 300 N; Grades: 1 - 8)
- SOUTH PRAIRIE SCHOOL (Students: 37; Location: 75 N 200 E; Grades: 1 - 8)
- PLAINVIEW PAROCHIAL SCHOOL (Students: 36; Location: RR 1 BOX 172C; Grades: 1 - 8)
- MEADOWLARK SCHOOL (Students: 36; Location: 149 N CR 100 E; Grades: 1 - 8)
- PRAIRIE MENNONITE SCHOOL (Students: 34; Location: 168 E CR 700 N; Grades: 1 - 8)
- ROSEDALE SCHOOL (Students: 33; Location: RR 2 BOX 50-B; Grades: 1 - 8)
- LAKE FORK SCHOOL (Students: 30; Location: 657 N CR 125 E; Grades: 1 - 8)
- NORTHSIDE SCHOOL (Students: 26; Location: 125 E CR 500 N; Grades: 1 - 8)
- OAKLAWN SCHOOL (Students: 21; Location: RR 1 BOX 127 A; Grades: 1 - 8)
Notable locations in Arthur: Arthur Town Hall (A), Arthur Public Library (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Arthur include: Arthur Church of Christ (A), Vine Street Christian Church (B), Arthur Mennonite Church (C), Arthur United Methodist Church (D), First Apostolic Church (E), First Baptist Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Arthur Country Inn (785 East Columbia Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 43.2. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.91. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.9 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Arthur and their reported violations in the past:THE WOOD LOFT WATER (Population served: 50, Purch groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 2 regular monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in Arthur that have no violations reported:
- ARTHUR (Population served: 2,203, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(4.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 62.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This village:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
65 people in nursing homes in 2000
Arthur compared to Illinois state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
Banks with branches in Arthur (2011 data):
- State Bank of Arthur: Downtown Facility at 139 South Vine Street, branch established on 1974/01/15; State Bank Of Arthur at 411 South Vine Street, branch established on 1910/05/11. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $103.4 mil, Deposits: $87.1 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Arthur Bancshares Corp.
- FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF NOKOMIS: Arthur Branch at 120 West Progress Street, branch established on 1996/10/21. Info updated 2006/10/12: Bank assets: $146.9 mil, Deposits: $129.1 mil, headquarters in Nokomis, IL, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: First Nokomis Bancorp, Inc.
- Arcola First Bank: Arthur Community Bank Branch at 201 South Vine, branch established on 1879/01/01. Info updated 2011/10/07: Bank assets: $119.4 mil, Deposits: $101.8 mil, headquarters in Arcola, IL, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 3 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (66%)
- Electricity (31%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
- No fuel used (0%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Arthur village (based on Douglas County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Douglas County:||6.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Illinois:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Douglas County:||7.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||1||$186|
|Police Protection - Officers||4||$15,766||$47,298||3||$1,056|
|Police - Other||0||$0||2||$777|
|Streets and Highways||2||$7,381||$44,286||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||8||$29,931||$44,897||7||$3,042|
Arthur government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $361,000 ($157.92)
Police Protection: $318,000 ($139.11)
Regular Highways: $244,000 ($106.74)
Financial Administration: $157,000 ($68.68)
General - Other: $61,000 ($26.68)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $496,000 ($216.97)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $35,000 ($15.31)
Arthur government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $82,000 ($35.87)
General Revenue, NEC: $10,000 ($4.37)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $462,000 ($202.10)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $537,000 ($234.91)
Highways: $61,000 ($26.68)
- Tax - Property: $246,000 ($107.61)
NEC: $12,000 ($5.25)
Arthur government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $576,000 ($251.97)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $564,000 ($246.72)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $12,000 ($5.25)
Arthur government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,730,000 ($756.78)
4.88% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,260 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Champaign County, IL||1.13% ($32,489 average AGI)|
|from Coles County, IL||0.83% ($32,058)|
|from Moultrie County, IL||0.41% ($41,794)|
6.08% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,951 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Arthur:
- WLBH (1170 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MATTOON, IL; Owner: MATTOON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WILL (580 AM; 5 kW; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- KXEN (1010 AM; 50 kW; FESTUS-ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: BDJ RADIO ENTERPRISES, LLC)
- KMOX (1120 AM; 50 kW; ST. LOUIS, MO; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WIBC (1070 AM; 50 kW; INDIANAPOLIS, IN; Owner: EMMIS RADIO LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WLS (890 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WLS, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WYLL (1160 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: SCA LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WMVP (1000 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WEIC (1270 AM; 1 kW; CHARLESTON, IL; Owner: COM-STAT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Arthur:
- WZNX (106.7 FM; SULLIVAN, IL; Owner: WSHY, INC.)
- WXET (107.9 FM; ARCOLA, IL; Owner: PREMIER BROADCASTING, INC)
- WLBH-FM (96.9 FM; MATTOON, IL; Owner: MATTOON BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMCI (101.3 FM; NEOGA, IL; Owner: THE CROMWELL GROUP, INC. OF ILLINOIS)
- WILL-FM (90.9 FM; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BOARD OF TRUSTEES)
- WWGO (92.1 FM; CHARLESTON, IL; Owner: WHQQ, INC)
- WEJT (105.1 FM; SHELBYVILLE, IL; Owner: THE CROMWELL GROUP, INC. OF ILLINOIS)
- WEBX (93.5 FM; TUSCOLA, IL; Owner: AAA ENTERTAINMENT LICENSING LLC)
- WIXY (100.3 FM; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ILLINOIS, LLC)
- WKIO (92.5 FM; URBANA, IL; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ILLINOIS, LLC)
- WXFM-FM (99.3 FM; MOUNT ZION, IL; Owner: TECHNICOM, INC.)
- WZUS (100.9 FM; MACON, IL; Owner: THE CROMWELL GROUP, INC. OF ILLINOIS)
- WSOY-FM (102.9 FM; DECATUR, IL; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WLRW (94.5 FM; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF ILLINOIS, LLC)
- W201AD (88.1 FM; MATTOON, IL; Owner: ILLINOIS BIBLE INSTITUTE, INC.)
- WCZQ (105.5 FM; MONTICELLO, IL; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Arthur:
- WCIA (Channel 3; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF CHAMPAIGN, L.L.C.)
- WBUI (Channel 23; DECATUR, IL; Owner: ACME TV LICENSES OF ILLINOIS, LLC)
- WAND (Channel 17; DECATUR, IL; Owner: WAND(TV) PARTNERSHIP)
- WILL-TV (Channel 12; URBANA, IL; Owner: UNIV. OF ILLINOIS BD. OF TRUSTEES)
- W52BR (Channel 52; CHAMPAIGN-URBANA, IL; Owner: MARCIA COHEN)
- WEIU-TV (Channel 51; CHARLESTON, IL; Owner: EASTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY)
- WICD (Channel 15; CHAMPAIGN, IL; Owner: WICD LICENSEE, LLC)
- WRSP-TV (Channel 55; SPRINGFIELD, IL; Owner: SPRINGFIELD BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WICS (Channel 20; SPRINGFIELD, IL; Owner: WICS LICENSEE, LLC)
- W29BG (Channel 29; DECATUR, IL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
Arthur fatal accident list:
Dec 22, 1989 03:00 PM, 133, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
Sep 26, 1983 01:15 PM, 133, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 8m26ftTotal length
- $259,000Total costs
- 7,325Total average daily traffic
- 459Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,513Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Arthur, IL)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Arthur)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: POWRACHUTE CORP PC 2000 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 582DCDI (65 HP) (2 Cycle)
N-Number: 3515Q , Serial Number: A-252POW, Year manufactured: 2001, Airworthiness Date: 10/04/2007
Registrant (Individual): Alvie E Jess, Po Box 144, Arthur, IL 61911
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 10
|Most common first names in Arthur, IL among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Arthur, IL among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Arthur, IL|
|H&R Block||1||MasterBrand Cabinets||1|
Arthur on our top lists:
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Furniture and related products"
- #34 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Furniture and related products"
- #75 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest city-data.com crime index increase from 2000-2002 average to 2006"
- #87 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks"
- #98 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers"
- #71 (61911) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Swiss first ancestries (pop 1,000+)"
- #77 (61911) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of residents speaking Indo-European language at home"
Total of 3 patent applications in 2008-2015.