|Median resident age:||21.6 years|
|Ohio median age:||40.5 years|
Zip codes: 45701.
Athens city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $156,613 (it was $111,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $745.
- White alone - 19,944 (83.0%)
- Asian alone - 1,565 (6.5%)
- Black alone - 1,161 (4.8%)
- Hispanic - 718 (3.0%)
- Two or more races - 612 (2.5%)
- American Indian alone - 39 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 10 (0.04%)
|Cabin rental/golf courses near Athens/Columbus (1 reply)|
|Considering moving to Athens, Ohio for medical school...? (8 replies)|
|Athens on Halloween this year (1 reply)|
|Athens, OH (5 replies)|
|Athens, Ohio - who do you love? (4 replies)|
|Athens, OH apartments (7 replies)|
Latest news from Athens, OH collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (21.3%), Irish (13.1%), English (7.3%), Italian (6.8%), United States (6.6%), Polish (4.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 723 feet
Land area: 8.34 square miles.
Population density: 2,894 people per square mile(average).
For population 25 years and over in Athens:
- High school or higher: 94.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 65.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 41.1%
- Unemployed: 16.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 13.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Athens city:
- Never married: 80.4%
- Now married: 14.3%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 1.6%
- Divorced: 3.1%
1,946 residents are foreign born (3.9% Asia).
According to our research of Ohio and other state lists there were 16 registered sex offenders living in Athens, Ohio as of April 01, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Athens to the number of sex offenders is 1,485 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $2,477 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $2,220 (1.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Huntington, WV (65.9 miles , pop. 51,475).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Columbus, OH (66.0 miles , pop. 711,470).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (340.7 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: The Plains, OH (1.8 miles ), Chauncey, OH (2.3 miles ), New Marshfield, OH (2.6 miles ), Millfield, OH (2.7 miles ), Albany, OH (3.0 miles ), Amesville, OH (3.0 miles) , Jacksonville, OH (3.2 miles ), Buchtel, OH (3.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 7 buildings, average cost: $94,300
- 2005: 15 buildings, average cost: $164,000
- 2006: 20 buildings, average cost: $200,900
- 2007: 69 buildings, average cost: $141,500
- 2008: 31 buildings, average cost: $183,400
- 2009: 6 buildings, average cost: $184,100
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $280,500
- 2011: 5 buildings, average cost: $146,400
- 2012: 4 buildings, average cost: $212,500
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 39.33 N, Longitude: 82.10 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +8,979 (+37.4%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 7,513 (80.0%)
Area code: 740
|Crime rates in Athens by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.7)||153.4||194.6||153.3||165.0||157.5||157.6||135.0||112.9||119.3||118.2||130.9||97.1|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Athens detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.05|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +40 (+0.2%).
- Educational services (42%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (4%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Manufacturing (4%)
- Information (3%)
- Educational services (40%)
- Accommodation and food services (20%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Information (3%)
- Postsecondary teachers (18%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
- Media and communication equipment workers (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
- Computer specialists (4%)
- Postsecondary teachers (10%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
Average climate in Athens, Ohio
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Athens-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Ohio state average. It is 41% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/23/1968, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 35.7 miles away from the Athens city center killed 7 people and injured 93 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/23/1968, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 54.0 miles away from the city center killed 6 people and injured 364 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Athens-area historical earthquake activity is near Ohio state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 126.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 174.3 miles away from Athens center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 164.7 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 126.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 317.5 miles away from Athens center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 146.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Athens County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 7, Storms: 5, Snowstorms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Charles Cardwell McCabe - Union Army chaplain, David Hastings Moore - Union Army officer, Dow Finsterwald - Professional golfer, John William Brown - Politician, Louis R. de Steiguer - Admiral, Scott Stricklin (baseball) - Baseball coach, Maya Lin - (born 1959), architect, Pop Golden - Football and baseball coach, Charles F. Scott (engineer) - Electrical engineer, Dewey Bohling - Football player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Athens:
- ATHENS CAMPUS (100 HOSPITAL DR)
- ECHOING MEADOWS RESIDENTIAL CENTER (319 WEST UNION STREET)
- O'BLENESS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (Voluntary non-profit - Other, 55 HOSPITAL DRIVE)
- FMC - EAST STATE STREET (1055 EAST STATE STREET, SUITE C)
- RIVERS EDGE DIALYSIS (1006 E. STATE ST., STE. B)
- APPALACHIAN COMMUNITY VNA HOSPICE AND HEALTH SERVICE (30 HERRALD AVENUE)
- KIMES NURSING AND REHAB CTR (75 KIMES LANE)
- LAURELS OF ATHENS, THE (70 COLUMBUS CIRCLE DRIVE)
Heliports located in Athens:
College/University in Athens:
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Athens:
- Hocking College (about 11 miles; Nelsonville, OH; Full-time enrollment: 4,146)
- West Virginia University at Parkersburg (about 33 miles; Parkersburg, WV; FT enrollment: 2,619)
- Zane State College (about 44 miles; Zanesville, OH; FT enrollment: 2,200)
- Ohio Christian University (about 48 miles; Circleville, OH; FT enrollment: 2,345)
- Muskingum University (about 50 miles; New Concord, OH; FT enrollment: 2,073)
- Ohio State University-Newark Campus (about 55 miles; Newark, OH; FT enrollment: 2,028)
- Central Ohio Technical College (about 55 miles; Newark, OH; FT enrollment: 2,995)
Public elementary/middle schools in Athens:
- Athens Middle School (Students: 427; Location: 51 W State St - 55; Grades: 7-8)
- Morrison Elementary School (Students: 401; Location: 793 W Union St; Grades: K-6)
- West Elementary School (Students: 296; Location: 41 Central Ave; Grades: K-6)
- East Elementary School (Students: 284; Location: 3 Wallace Dr; Grades: K-6)
User submitted facts and corrections:
- FM radio in New Lexington has changed from 106.3 to 105.9
Notable locations in Athens: Athens County Childrens Home (A), Peden Stadium (B), Athens County Fairgrounds (C), Southeast Ohio Emergency Medical Services Station 1 Athens (D), Athens Fire Department Station 2 (E), Athens County Courthouse (F), Alden Library (G), Athens Fire Department Station 1 Headquarters (H), Richland Area Fire District Station 2 (I), Appalachian Behavioral Healthcare Athens Campus (J), Athens County Law Library (K), Wray Hall (L), Weld Hall (M), Washington Hall (N), Tupper Hall (O), True Hall (P), Tiffin Hall (Q), Trisolini Gallery (R), Smith Hall (S), Shively Hall (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Shopping Centers: Athens Mall Shopping Center (1), University Mall Shopping Center (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Athens include: Good Shepherd Episcopal Church (A), Pilgrim Holiness Church (B), Church of the Nazarene (C), Church of God (D), Church of Christ (E), Apostolic Church (F), Mount Zion Baptist Church (G), Central Avenue United Methodist Church (H), Christ Lutheran Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: State Street Cemetery (1), Old Athens Hospital Cemetery (2), New Athens Hospital Cemetery (3), Mount Calvary Cemetery (4), Athens Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Dairy Run (A), Coates Run (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Athens include: Trautwein Field (1), Ohio University Campus Green Historic District (2), Athens Downtown Historic District (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Athens County Genealogical Chapter OGS (Museums; 65 North Court Street) (1), Clearinghouse for Strategic Alliances- Trade and Equity Investments (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 20 East Circle Drive) (2), Athens County Convention & Visitors Bureau (667 East State Street) (3), Athens Sport Cycles (Tours & Charters; 165 Columbus Rd) (4). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Hotels: Days Inn (330 Columbus Road) (1), Amerihost Inn - Athens (20 Home St) (2), Highlander Motel (420 West Union Street) (3), Budget Host Coach Inn (100 Albany Road) (4), Athens-Days Inn (330 Columbus Rd) (5), Cutler's Restaurant (331 Richland Avenue) (6). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Courts: Athens County - Juvenile Court- Court Appointed Special Advocates Guardian Ad L (15 South Court Street) (1), Athens County - Juvenile Court (Court House) (2), Federal Bureau of Investigation (449 East State Street) (3). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 35.0. This is significantly better than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2009 was 0.439. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 1.9 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2011 was 3.41. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 1.9 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 1.27. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 0.9 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2011 was 28.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 1.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2003 was 20.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.72. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.7 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Athens and their reported violations in the past:ATHENS PWS (Population served: 22,854, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-07-2008), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-07-2008), St Compliance achieved (JUL-16-2010)
- MCL, Acute (TCR) - In OCT-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-07-2008), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-07-2008), St Compliance achieved (JUL-16-2010)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2009 and DEC-2009, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (OCT-05-2009), St Public Notif requested (DEC-04-2009), St Violation/Reminder Notice (DEC-04-2009), St Public Notif received (AUG-18-2010)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Athens that have no violations reported:
- ATHENS CO BUCHTEL WATER (Population served: 840, Primary Water Source Type: Purch groundwater)
(56.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 79.1% for Black residents, 25.6% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 71.8% for American Indian residents, 24.3% for other race residents, 56.1% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
People in group quarters in Athens in 2010:
- 7,870 people in college/university student housing
- 75 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals and psychiatric units in other hospitals
- 54 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 36 people in residential treatment centers for adults
- 16 people in group homes intended for adults
- 10 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 9 people in emergency and transitional shelters (with sleeping facilities) for people experiencing homelessness
- 6 people in other noninstitutional facilities
People in group quarters in Athens in 2000:
- 7,094 people in college dormitories (includes college quarters off campus)
- 36 people in schools, hospitals, or wards for the mentally retarded
- 34 people in nursing homes
- 32 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 27 people in other nonhousehold living situations
- 25 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals or wards
Athens compared to Ohio state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
Banks with branches in Athens (2011 data):
- The Hocking Valley Bank: Court Street Branch, Richland Avenue Branch, State Street Branch, at Stimson And Palmer Streets. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $235.9 mil, Deposits: $208.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Hocking Valley Bancshares, Inc.
- Peoples Bank, National Association: Athens Union Street Branch, Athens Main Branch, Athens Mall Branch. Info updated 2006/11/29: Bank assets: $1,788.7 mil, Deposits: $1,356.7 mil, headquarters in Marietta, OH, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 45 total offices, Holding Company: Peoples Bancorp Inc.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, National Association: Richland Avenue Branch, Athens Main Branch, Plaza Branch. Info updated 2011/11/10: Bank assets: $1,811,678.0 mil, Deposits: $1,190,738.0 mil, headquarters in Columbus, OH, positive income, International Specialization, 5577 total offices, Holding Company: Jpmorgan Chase & Co.
- The Citizens Bank of Logan, Ohio: Athens Walmart Branch at 929 East State Street, branch established on 2002/08/14; Stimson Ave Office Branch at 20 East Stimson Ave, branch established on 2006/06/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $248.6 mil, Deposits: $222.3 mil, headquarters in Logan, OH, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Citizens Independent Bancorp, Inc.
- Wesbanco Bank, Inc.: Athens Branch at 505 Richland Avenue, branch established on 1998/10/19. Info updated 2009/04/02: Bank assets: $5,520.2 mil, Deposits: $4,394.5 mil, headquarters in Wheeling, WV, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 115 total offices, Holding Company: Wesbanco, Inc.
- The First National Bank of McConnelsville: Athens Branch at 1012 East State Street, branch established on 2004/03/17. Info updated 2011/01/28: Bank assets: $137.6 mil, Deposits: $118.6 mil, headquarters in Mcconnelsville, OH, positive income, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Fnb Shares, Inc.
- The Park National Bank: 0914 898 E. State Street Branch at 898 E. State Street, branch established on 1896/01/01. Info updated 2008/09/29: Bank assets: $6,281.7 mil, Deposits: $4,611.6 mil, headquarters in Newark, OH, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 123 total offices, Holding Company: Park National Corporation
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Athens, Ohio:
- Ohio University Inn, 331 Richland Ave, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 593-6661, Fax: (740) 594-7708
- Days Inn Athens, 330 Columbus Rd, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 592-4000, Fax: (740) 593-7687
- Baymont Inn And Suites, 20 Home St, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 594-3000, Fax: (740) 594-5546
- Super 8 Motel, 2091 East State St, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 594-4900
- Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Athens, 555 E State St, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 592-4640, Fax: (740) 592-4650
- Hampton Inn, 986 E State St, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 593-5600, Fax: (740) 593-5656
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (58%)
- Electricity (41%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Athens city (based on Athens County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 22.38%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||The Wesleyan Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)|
|Name||General Association of Regular Baptist Churches||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Athens County:||2.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ohio:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Athens County:||1.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ohio:||1.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Athens County:||3.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2013)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||7||$38,362||$65,763||12||$11,325|
|Judicial and Legal||19||$76,496||$48,313||7||$4,674|
|Police Protection - Officers||37||$238,878||$77,474||12||$9,714|
|Police - Other||2||$5,984||$35,904||2||$2,601|
|Fire - Other||0||$0||1||$1,376|
|Streets and Highways||18||$88,420||$58,947||1||$437|
|Parks and Recreation||10||$37,943||$45,532||32||$18,998|
|Other and Unallocable||11||$50,584||$55,183||1||$2,174|
|Totals for Government||185||$975,139||$63,252||69||$52,978|
Athens government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Construction - General - Other: $1,539,000 ($63.80)
Sewerage: $258,000 ($10.70)
Water Utilities: $29,000 ($1.20)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $2,821,000 ($116.95)
Police Protection: $2,656,000 ($110.11)
Water Utilities: $2,360,000 ($97.84)
Local Fire Protection: $2,019,000 ($83.70)
Sewerage: $2,000,000 ($82.91)
Judicial and Legal Services: $1,783,000 ($73.92)
Central Staff Services: $1,585,000 ($65.71)
Parks and Recreation: $1,439,000 ($59.66)
Solid Waste Management: $848,000 ($35.15)
Financial Administration: $792,000 ($32.83)
General Public Buildings: $792,000 ($32.83)
Housing and Community Development: $755,000 ($31.30)
General - Other: $464,000 ($19.24)
Parking Facilities: $104,000 ($4.31)
- General - Interest on Debt: $200,000 ($8.29)
- Intergovernmental to State - Sewerage: $117,000 ($4.85)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $4,355,000 ($180.54)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $14,000 ($0.58)
Athens government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $2,928,000 ($121.38)
All Other: $1,598,000 ($66.25)
Solid Waste Management: $981,000 ($40.67)
Parking Facilities: $266,000 ($11.03)
- Miscellaneous - Fines and Forfeits: $1,061,000 ($43.98)
General Revenue, NEC: $388,000 ($16.08)
Interest Earnings: $205,000 ($8.50)
Special Assessments: $48,000 ($1.99)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $2,774,000 ($115.00)
- State Intergovernmental - General Local Government Support: $1,638,000 ($67.90)
All Other: $1,153,000 ($47.80)
Highways: $330,000 ($13.68)
Housing and Community Development: $301,000 ($12.48)
- Tax - Individual Income: $8,446,000 ($350.14)
Property: $689,000 ($28.56)
Other License: $585,000 ($24.25)
Other Selective Sales: $174,000 ($7.21)
Athens government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $5,235,000 ($217.02)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $4,960,000 ($205.62)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $275,000 ($11.40)
- Short Term Debt Outstanding - Beginning: $4,475,000 ($185.52)
End of Fiscal Year: $3,530,000 ($146.34)
Athens government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $7,956,000 ($329.82)
7.44% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,025 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($254 average AGI)
Athens County: 0.08% Ohio average: 0.03%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Franklin County, OH||0.72% ($26,785 average AGI)|
|from Meigs County, OH||0.38% ($24,362)|
|from Washington County, OH||0.37% ($31,424)|
8.71% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,811 average adjusted gross income)
0.13% of residents moved to foreign countries ($258 average AGI)
Athens County: 0.13% Ohio average: 0.04%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Athens:
- WOUB (1340 AM; 1 kW; ATHENS, OH; Owner: OHIO UNIVERSITY)
- WATH (970 AM; 1 kW; ATHENS, OH)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WAIS (770 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BUCHTEL, OH; Owner: NELSONVILLE TV CABLE, INC.)
- WBGS (1030 AM; daytime; 10 kW; POINT PLEASANT, WV; Owner: BIG RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- WMPO (1390 AM; 5 kW; MIDDLEPORT-POMEROY, OH; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC. OF OHIO)
- WWVA (1170 AM; 53 kW; WHEELING, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRFD (880 AM; daytime; 23 kW; COLUMBUS-WORTHINGTON, OH; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF OHIO, INC.)
- WBRJ (910 AM; 5 kW; MARIETTA, OH; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WADC (1050 AM; 5 kW; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: BURBACH OF DE, LLC)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKNR (850 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCAW (680 AM; 10 kW; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORPORATION OF CHARLESTON)
Strongest FM radio stations in Athens:
- W240AI (95.9 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: UNITED STATES TOWER SERVICES, LTD.)
- W211BT (90.1 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: THE CEDARVILLE UNIVERSITY)
- WXTQ (105.5 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: WATH, INC.)
- WOUB-FM (91.3 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: OHIO UNIVERSITY)
- WJKW (95.9 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: CHRISTIAN FAITH BROADCAST, INC.)
- WSEO (107.7 FM; NELSONVILLE, OH; Owner: NELSONVILLE TV CABLE, INC.)
- WJAW-FM (100.9 FM; MCCONNELSVILLE, OH; Owner: QUIET RADIO INC. D/B/A WJAW RADIO)
- WYVK (92.1 FM; MIDDLEPORT, OH; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC. OF OHIO)
- WGGE (99.1 FM; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: BURBACH OF DE, LLC)
- WRVB (102.1 FM; MARIETTA, OH; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWJM (106.3 FM; NEW LEXINGTON, OH; Owner: PERRY COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WHBR-FM (103.1 FM; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: BURBACH OF DE, LLC)
- WRZZ (106.1 FM; ELIZABETH, WV; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCVV (89.5 FM; BELPRE, OH; Owner: BELPRE EDUC. B/CNG FOUNDATION)
- WCVZ (92.7 FM; SOUTH ZANESVILLE, OH; Owner: CHRISTIAN VOICE OF CENTRAL OHIO, INC)
- WLGN-FM (98.3 FM; LOGAN, OH; Owner: ROGER L. HINERMAN d/b/a LOGAN BROADCASTING)
TV broadcast stations around Athens:
- WOUB-TV (Channel 20; ATHENS, OH; Owner: OHIO UNIVERSITY)
- W45BW (Channel 45; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WTAP-TV (Channel 15; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
Fatal accident count (per 100,000 population)
Total length: 320 meters (1,050ft)
Total costs: $1,112,000
Total average daily traffic: 363,245
Total average daily truck traffic: 23,457
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1930-1939: 3
- 1940-1949: 0
- 1950-1959: 2
- 1960-1969: 2
- 1970-1979: 34
- 1980-1989: 0
- 1990-1999: 0
- 2000-2009: 4
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Athens, OH)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 27 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 145 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 4 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 136 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Athens)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 39 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Athens)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 126
- Hazardous Condition: 217
- Service Call: 3
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Athens
|Most common first names in Athens, OH among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Athens, OH among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Athens, OH|
|AT&T||1||Little Caesars Pizza||1|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|Bath & Body Works||1||McDonald's||2|
|Buffalo Wild Wings||1||Papa John's Pizza||1|
|Carson Pirie Scott||1||Quiznos||1|
|Dairy Queen||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
|Domino's Pizza||1||Sprint Nextel||1|
|Firestone Complete Auto Care||1||Starbucks||1|
|H&R Block||2||Taco Bell||1|
|Jones New York||1||Verizon Wireless||1|
Athens on our top lists:
- #18 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest percentage of college students"
- #29 on the list of "Top 100 cities with youngest residents (pop. 5,000+)"
- #55 on the list of "Top 100 cities with shortest commuting times (pop. 5,000+)"
- #87 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest percentage of renters (pop. 5,000+)"
- #94 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest ratio of median house value to median household income (pop. 5,000+)"
- #65 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006"
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Kerry (Democrat) in the 2004 Presidential Election"
Total of 170 patent applications in 2008-2015.