Athens County has a predicted average indoor radon screening level between 2 and 4 pCi/L (pico curies per liter) - Moderate Potential
Click to draw/clear city borders
Notable locations in Athens: Athens County Childrens Home (A), Peden Stadium (B), Athens County Fairgrounds (C), Southeast Ohio Emergency Medical Services Station 1 Athens (D), Athens Fire Department Station 2 (E), Athens County Courthouse (F), Alden Library (G), Athens Fire Department Station 1 Headquarters (H), Richland Area Fire District Station 2 (I), Appalachian Behavioral Healthcare Athens Campus (J), Athens County Law Library (K), Wray Hall (L), Weld Hall (M), Washington Hall (N), Tupper Hall (O), True Hall (P), Tiffin Hall (Q), Trisolini Gallery (R), Smith Hall (S), Shively Hall (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Shopping Centers: Athens Mall Shopping Center (1), University Mall Shopping Center (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Athens include: Good Shepherd Episcopal Church (A), Pilgrim Holiness Church (B), Church of the Nazarene (C), Church of God (D), Church of Christ (E), Apostolic Church (F), Mount Zion Baptist Church (G), Central Avenue United Methodist Church (H), Christ Lutheran Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: State Street Cemetery (1), Old Athens Hospital Cemetery (2), New Athens Hospital Cemetery (3), Mount Calvary Cemetery (4), Athens Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Dairy Run (A), Coates Run (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Athens include: Trautwein Field (1), Ohio University Campus Green Historic District (2), Athens Downtown Historic District (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attractions: Athens County Genealogical Chapter OGS (Museums; 65 North Court Street) (1), Clearinghouse for Strategic Alliances- Trade and Equity Investments (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 20 East Circle Drive) (2), Athens County Convention & Visitors Bureau (667 East State Street) (3), Athens Sport Cycles (Tours & Charters; 165 Columbus Rd) (4). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Hotels: Days Inn (330 Columbus Road) (1), Amerihost Inn - Athens (20 Home St) (2), Highlander Motel (420 West Union Street) (3), Budget Host Coach Inn (100 Albany Road) (4), Athens-Days Inn (330 Columbus Rd) (5), Cutler's Restaurant (331 Richland Avenue) (6). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Courts: Athens County - Juvenile Court- Court Appointed Special Advocates Guardian Ad L (15 South Court Street) (1), Athens County - Juvenile Court (Court House) (2), Federal Bureau of Investigation (449 East State Street) (3). Display/hide their approximate locations on the map
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 34.8. This is about average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µ/m3] level in 2004 was 20.3. This is better than average. There were 3 monitors within city limits.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µ/m3] level in 2010 was 10.2. This is about average. There were 11 monitors within city limits.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2010 was 3.65. This is significantly worse than average. There were 7 monitors within city limits.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2010 was 4.26. This is significantly better than average. There were 4 monitors within city limits.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2009 was 0.439. This is worse than average. There were 1 monitors within city limits.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Athens and their reported violations in the past:
ATHENS CITY PWS (Population served: 22450, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
ATHENS CO BUCHTEL WATER (Population served: 840, Purch_groundwater):
- CCR INADEQUATE REPORTING - Between JUL-2002 and DEC-2025, Consumer Confidence Rule. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-31-2003)
- CCR INADEQUATE REPORTING - Between JUL-2001 and DEC-2025, Consumer Confidence Rule. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-12-2001)
Past monitoring violations:
- One regular monitoring violation
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2009: 56.2%
(58.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 90.0% for Black residents, 37.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 57.9% for other race residents, 58.5% for two or more races residents)
Average household size:
Percentage of family households:
|This city: || 2.3 people|
|Ohio: || 2.6 people|
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
|This city: || 26.7%|
|Whole state: || 70.7%|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
|This city: || 4.0%|
|Whole state: || 5.2%|
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Detailed information about poverty and poor residents in Athens, OH
People in group quarters in Athens:
- 7,094 people in college dormitories (includes college quarters off campus)
- 36 people in schools, hospitals, or wards for the mentally retarded
- 34 people in nursing homes
- 32 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 27 people in other nonhousehold living situations
- 25 people in mental (psychiatric) hospitals or wards
Athens compared to Ohio state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
Back to the top
Arena or stadium:
- Convocation Center (Ohio University). Ohio University.
Banks with branches in Athens (2011 data):
- The Hocking Valley Bank: Court Street Branch, Richland Avenue Branch, State Street Branch, at Stimson And Palmer Streets. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $235.9 mil, Deposits: $208.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Hocking Valley Bancshares, Inc.
- Peoples Bank, National Association: Athens Union Street Branch, Athens Main Branch, Athens Mall Branch. Info updated 2006/11/29: Bank assets: $1,788.7 mil, Deposits: $1,356.7 mil, headquarters in Marietta, OH, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 45 total offices, Holding Company: Peoples Bancorp Inc.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, National Association: Richland Avenue Branch, Athens Main Branch, Plaza Branch. Info updated 2011/11/10: Bank assets: $1,811,678.0 mil, Deposits: $1,190,738.0 mil, headquarters in Columbus, OH, positive income, International Specialization, 5577 total offices, Holding Company: Jpmorgan Chase & Co.
- The Citizens Bank of Logan, Ohio: Athens Walmart Branch at 929 East State Street, branch established on 2002/08/14; Stimson Ave Office Branch at 20 East Stimson Ave, branch established on 2006/06/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $248.6 mil, Deposits: $222.3 mil, headquarters in Logan, OH, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Citizens Independent Bancorp, Inc.
- Wesbanco Bank, Inc.: Athens Branch at 505 Richland Avenue, branch established on 1998/10/19. Info updated 2009/04/02: Bank assets: $5,520.2 mil, Deposits: $4,394.5 mil, headquarters in Wheeling, WV, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 115 total offices, Holding Company: Wesbanco, Inc.
- The First National Bank of McConnelsville: Athens Branch at 1012 East State Street, branch established on 2004/03/17. Info updated 2011/01/28: Bank assets: $137.6 mil, Deposits: $118.6 mil, headquarters in Mcconnelsville, OH, positive income, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Fnb Shares, Inc.
- The Park National Bank: 0914 898 E. State Street Branch at 898 E. State Street, branch established on 1896/01/01. Info updated 2008/09/29: Bank assets: $6,281.7 mil, Deposits: $4,611.6 mil, headquarters in Newark, OH, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 123 total offices, Holding Company: Park National Corporation
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Athens, Ohio:
All 6 fire-safe hotels and motels in Athens, Ohio
- Ohio University Inn, 331 Richland Ave, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 593-6661, Fax: (740) 594-7708
- Days Inn Athens, 330 Columbus Rd, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 592-4000, Fax: (740) 593-7687
- Baymont Inn And Suites, 20 Home St, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 594-3000, Fax: (740) 594-5546
- Super 8 Motel, 2091 East State St, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 594-4900
- Holiday Inn Express Hotels And Suites Athens, 555 E State St, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 592-4640, Fax: (740) 592-4650
- Hampton Inn, 986 E State St, Athens, OH 45701 , Phone: (740) 593-5600, Fax: (740) 593-5656
Educational Attainment (%)
School Enrollment by Level of School (%)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (64%)
- Electricity (33%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
2004 Presidential Election results in Athens County Ohio:
Religion statistics for Athens (based on Athens County data)
Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 22.38%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ|| The Wesleyan Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)|
Source: Jones, Dale E., et al. 2002. Congregations and Membership in the United States 2000. Nashville, TN: Glenmary Research Center.
|Name||General Association of Regular Baptist Churches||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
Number of grocery stores:
|Here:||2.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ohio:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|Number of supercenters and club stores:
|This county:||0.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ohio:||0.13 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (no gas):
|Athens County:||1.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ohio:||1.25 / 10,000 pop.|Number of convenience stores (with gas):
|This county:||3.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.93 / 10,000 pop.|Number of full-service restaurants:
|Athens County:||5.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|Ohio:||6.25 / 10,000 pop.|Adult diabetes rate:
|State:||10.3%|Low-income preschool obesity rate:
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
||Monthly full-time payroll
||Average yearly full-time wage
||Monthly part-time payroll
|Other Government Administration
|Judicial and Legal
|Police Protection - Officers
|Police - Other
|Streets and Highways
|Parks and Recreation
|Housing and Community Development(Local)
|Other and Unallocable
|Totals for Government
Athens government finances in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $2,928,000 ($122.83)
All Other: $1,598,000 ($67.04)
Solid Waste Management: $981,000 ($41.15)
Parking Facilities: $266,000 ($11.16)
- Construction - General - Other: $1,539,000 ($64.56)
Sewerage: $258,000 ($10.82)
Water Utilities: $29,000 ($1.22)
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $2,821,000 ($118.35)
Police Protection: $2,656,000 ($111.42)
Water Utilities: $2,360,000 ($99.01)
Local Fire Protection: $2,019,000 ($84.70)
Sewerage: $2,000,000 ($83.90)
Judicial and Legal Services: $1,783,000 ($74.80)
Central Staff Services: $1,585,000 ($66.49)
Parks and Recreation: $1,439,000 ($60.37)
Solid Waste Management: $848,000 ($35.57)
Financial Administration: $792,000 ($33.23)
General Public Buildings: $792,000 ($33.23)
Housing and Community Development: $755,000 ($31.67)
General - Other: $464,000 ($19.47)
Parking Facilities: $104,000 ($4.36)
- General - Interest on Debt: $200,000 ($8.39)
- Intergovernmental to State - Sewerage: $117,000 ($4.91)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $275,000 ($11.54)
- Miscellaneous - Fines and Forfeits: $1,061,000 ($44.51)
General Revenue, NEC: $388,000 ($16.28)
Interest Earnings: $205,000 ($8.60)
Special Assessments: $48,000 ($2.01)
- NEW for 2005 - Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $5,235,000 ($219.62)
Long Term Debt Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $4,960,000 ($208.08)
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $7,956,000 ($333.77)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $2,774,000 ($116.37)
- Short Term Debt Outstanding - Beginning: $4,475,000 ($187.73)
End of Fiscal Year: $3,530,000 ($148.09)
- State Intergovernmental - General Local Government Support: $1,638,000 ($68.72)
All Other: $1,153,000 ($48.37)
Highways: $330,000 ($13.84)
Housing and Community Development: $301,000 ($12.63)
- Tax - Individual Income: $8,446,000 ($354.32)
Property: $689,000 ($28.90)
Other License: $585,000 ($24.54)
Other Selective Sales: $174,000 ($7.30)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $4,355,000 ($182.70)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $14,000 ($0.59)
8.31% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($23,968 average adjusted gross income)
0.85% of residents moved from foreign countries ($537 average AGI)
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
8.71% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($28,763 average adjusted gross income)
0.15% of residents moved to foreign countries ($438 average AGI)
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Athens:
- WOUB (1340 AM; 1 kW; ATHENS, OH; Owner: OHIO UNIVERSITY)
- WATH (970 AM; 1 kW; ATHENS, OH)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WAIS (770 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BUCHTEL, OH; Owner: NELSONVILLE TV CABLE, INC.)
- WBGS (1030 AM; daytime; 10 kW; POINT PLEASANT, WV; Owner: BIG RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- WMPO (1390 AM; 5 kW; MIDDLEPORT-POMEROY, OH; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC. OF OHIO)
- WWVA (1170 AM; 53 kW; WHEELING, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRFD (880 AM; daytime; 23 kW; COLUMBUS-WORTHINGTON, OH; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF OHIO, INC.)
- WBRJ (910 AM; 5 kW; MARIETTA, OH; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WADC (1050 AM; 5 kW; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: BURBACH OF DE, LLC)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKNR (850 AM; 50 kW; CLEVELAND, OH; Owner: CARON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCAW (680 AM; 10 kW; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORPORATION OF CHARLESTON)
Strongest FM radio stations in Athens:
- W240AI (95.9 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: UNITED STATES TOWER SERVICES, LTD.)
- W211BT (90.1 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: THE CEDARVILLE UNIVERSITY)
- WXTQ (105.5 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: WATH, INC.)
- WOUB-FM (91.3 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: OHIO UNIVERSITY)
- WJKW (95.9 FM; ATHENS, OH; Owner: CHRISTIAN FAITH BROADCAST, INC.)
- WSEO (107.7 FM; NELSONVILLE, OH; Owner: NELSONVILLE TV CABLE, INC.)
- WJAW-FM (100.9 FM; MCCONNELSVILLE, OH; Owner: QUIET RADIO INC. D/B/A WJAW RADIO)
- WYVK (92.1 FM; MIDDLEPORT, OH; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC. OF OHIO)
- WGGE (99.1 FM; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: BURBACH OF DE, LLC)
- WRVB (102.1 FM; MARIETTA, OH; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWJM (106.3 FM; NEW LEXINGTON, OH; Owner: PERRY COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WHBR-FM (103.1 FM; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: BURBACH OF DE, LLC)
- WRZZ (106.1 FM; ELIZABETH, WV; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCVV (89.5 FM; BELPRE, OH; Owner: BELPRE EDUC. B/CNG FOUNDATION)
- WCVZ (92.7 FM; SOUTH ZANESVILLE, OH; Owner: CHRISTIAN VOICE OF CENTRAL OHIO, INC)
- WLGN-FM (98.3 FM; LOGAN, OH; Owner: ROGER L. HINERMAN d/b/a LOGAN BROADCASTING)
TV broadcast stations around Athens:
- WOUB-TV (Channel 20; ATHENS, OH; Owner: OHIO UNIVERSITY)
- W45BW (Channel 45; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WTAP-TV (Channel 15; PARKERSBURG, WV; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
Fatal accident count (per 100,000 population)
See more detailed statistics of Athens fatal car crashes and road traffic accidents for 1975 - 2009 here
National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
Number of bridges: 44
Total length: 319 meters (1,047ft)
Total costs: $1,112,000
Total average daily traffic: 366,704
Total average daily truck traffic: 26,417
See Full National Bridge Inventory Statistics for Athens, OH
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1930-1939: 2
- 1940-1949: 0
- 1950-1959: 2
- 1960-1969: 2
- 1970-1979: 34
- 1980-1989: 0
- 1990-1999: 0
- 2000-2010: 4
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
See full 2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System statistics for Athens, OH
|Most common first names in Athens, OH among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Athens, OH among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Browse common businesses in Athens, OH
|Businesses in Athens, OH|
|AT&T||1||Long John Silver's||1|
|Bath & Body Works||1||McDonald's||2|
|Baymont Inn||1||Papa John's Pizza||1|
|Buffalo Wild Wings||1||Penske||1|
|Burger King||1||Pizza Hut||2|
|Carson Pirie Scott||1||RadioShack||1|
|Days Inn||1||Sprint Nextel||1|
|Firestone Complete Auto Care||1||Subway||3|
|H&R Block||2||Taco Bell||1|
|Holiday Inn||1||True Value||1|
|Jones New York||1||U-Haul||3|
|Little Caesars Pizza||1||Wendy's||3|
- #18 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest percentage of college students"
- #29 on the list of "Top 100 cities with youngest residents (pop. 5,000+)"
- #55 on the list of "Top 100 cities with shortest commuting times (pop. 5,000+)"
- #87 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest percentage of renters (pop. 5,000+)"
- #94 on the list of "Top 100 cities with highest ratio of median house value to median household income (pop. 5,000+)"
- #65 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents relocating from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006"
- #100 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Kerry (Democrat) in the 2004 Presidential Election"