Athens: Athens Pond at corner of Rt. 35 and Walker Road
Athens: Athens Valley Cemetery
Athens: Beaver Pond on Reed Rd.
Athens: Cellar hole on old Athens/Townshend Rc.
Athens: Winter snow 2010 on Reed Rd.
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||40.0 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05143.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $25,952 (it was $17,745 in 2000)
Athens town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $195,237 (it was $102,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $269,727; Detached houses: $287,548; Townhouses or other attached units: $214,455; In 2-unit structures: $281,048; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $160,900; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $133,395; Mobile homes: $98,897
Races in Athens, VT (2010)
- 41994.8%White alone
- 92.0%Two or more races
- 40.9%Asian alone
- 30.7%Black alone
- 20.5%American Indian alone
|Low Income Housing in Athens VT. (5 replies)|
|News, VT anti-smoking law among nation's strictest (122 replies)|
|Considering a move from Ohio to Vermont (35 replies)|
|Where to settle in the NE!? (9 replies)|
|Best Southern VT Town for Raising Kids (7 replies)|
|Migration to the states from Greece (9 replies)|
Latest news from Athens, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (17.4%), French (14.7%), Irish (14.4%), Scottish (10.9%), United States (7.9%), German (6.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 600 feet
Land area: 13.0 square miles.
Population density: 34 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Athens:
- High school or higher: 82.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 20.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.4%
- Unemployed: 3.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Athens town:
- Never married: 27.5%
- Now married: 55.7%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 10.8%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Athens, Vermont as of November 15, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Athens to the number of sex offenders is 442 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Athens town:||1.1% ($1,139)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (58.2 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (93.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (170.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Saxtons River, VT (2.1 miles ), Grafton, VT (2.3 miles ), Brookline, VT (2.5 miles ), Rockingham, VT (2.6 miles ), Townshend, VT (2.6 miles ), North Westminster, VT (2.6 miles ), Bellows Falls, VT (2.7 miles ), North Walpole, NH (2.7 miles ).
Latitude: 43.11 N, Longitude: 72.59 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Food (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Health care (17%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Groceries and related products merchant wholesalers (7%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (7%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Food processing workers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (13%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Bus drivers (6%)
- Business operations specialists (5%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
Average climate in Athens, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Athens-area historical tornado activity is significantly above Vermont state average. It is 39% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 10.7 miles away from the Athens town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 6/9/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 49.4 miles away from the town center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Athens-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 105.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 110.4 miles away from Athens center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 56.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 109.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 111.0 miles away from Athens center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 101.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Windham County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 9, Tropical Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Henry L. Bowles - Politician.
Amtrak stations near Athens:
- 8 miles: BELLOWS FALLS (DEPOT ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 20 miles: BRATTLEBORO (VERNON RD.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Athens:
- Keene State College (about 21 miles; Keene, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,098)
- Franklin Pierce University (about 36 miles; Rindge, NH; FT enrollment: 2,139)
- Williams College (about 42 miles; Williamstown, MA; FT enrollment: 2,141)
- Dartmouth College (about 44 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Castleton State College (about 46 miles; Castleton, VT; FT enrollment: 2,079)
- Mount Wachusett Community College (about 48 miles; Gardner, MA; FT enrollment: 3,143)
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 51 miles; Amherst, MA; FT enrollment: 26,583)
Church in Athens: Old Brick Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Lake: Athens Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Athens Brook (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 82.5. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 3.66. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 13.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 24.8. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 14.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 15.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.41. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.5 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Athens town (based on Windham County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Windham County:||4.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||1.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windham County:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||18.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
5.66% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,769 average adjusted gross income)
0.10% of residents moved from foreign countries ($168 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.10% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cheshire County, NH||0.65% ($30,754 average AGI)|
|from Windsor County, VT||0.47% ($25,261)|
|from Franklin County, MA||0.22% ($38,415)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,600 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved to foreign countries ($193 average AGI)
Windham County: 0.08% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Athens:
- WNBX (1480 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, VT)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKBK (1290 AM; 5 kW; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Athens:
- WCFR-FM (96.3 FM; WALPOLE, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVRR (101.7 FM; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WZSH (107.1 FM; BELLOWS FALLS, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WXKK (93.5 FM; SPRINGFIELD, VT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Athens:
- WEKW-TV (Channel 52; KEENE, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WVTA (Channel 41; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
Athens fatal accident list:
Mar 29, 1992 09:35 AM, Fas125, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 3m10ftTotal length
- $530,000Total costs
- 400Total average daily traffic
- 10Total average daily truck traffic
- 600Total future (year 2028) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: K2KDA, Licensee ID: L00202048, Grant Date: 05/01/2006, Expiration Date: 07/25/2016, Certifier: Gordon M Pugh, Registrant: Northeast Fm Repeater Association, 48 Valley Cemetery Rd, Athens, VT 05143-8413
- Call Sign: KA1TSP, Grant Date: 05/02/1989, Expiration Date: 05/02/1999, Cancellation Date: 05/03/2001, Registrant: Joanne N Snide, Box 148 Rfd 3, Athens, VT 05143
- Call Sign: KA1TSR, Grant Date: 05/02/1989, Expiration Date: 05/02/1999, Cancellation Date: 05/03/2001, Registrant: Shawn M Bingham, Rfd 3, Athens, VT 05143
- Call Sign: W2NH, Previous Call Sign: W1JTB, Licensee ID: L00104492, Grant Date: 06/22/2010, Expiration Date: 06/27/2020, Certifier: Gordon M Pugh, Registrant: Gordon M Pugh, 48 Valley Cemetery Road, Athens, VT 05143
- Call Sign: WR1NH, Previous Call Sign: WA2DDQ, Licensee ID: L00202048, Grant Date: 03/22/2005, Expiration Date: 03/22/2015, Certifier: Gordon M Pugh, Registrant: Northeast Fm Repeater Association, 48 Valley Cemetery Rd, Athens, VT 05143
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 9
- Hazardous Condition: 7
Incident types - Athens
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (57%)
- Wood (26%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Electricity (3%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Athens compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.