Avon: View from the top of Cross Road
Avon: Picture taken from top of Mt. Blue Pond Rd. facing north toward Phillips and Rt. #4
Avon: OFF THE FISCHER ROAD IN AVON, MAINE
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||46.9 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04966.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $24,187 (it was $15,573 in 2000)
Avon town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $128,019 (it was $70,300 in 2000)
Races in Avon, ME (2010)
- 45097.6%White alone
- 30.7%Black alone
- 20.4%Two or more races
- 10.2%Asian alone
|Is Southern Maine "Family Friendly"? (90 replies)|
|Freeport/Brunswick Schools? (45 replies)|
|Bobcats or cougars in Maine ever recently? (14 replies)|
|Black flies and deer flies (29 replies)|
|Northward bound (9 replies)|
|Anyone live in CT prior to Maine? (1 reply)|
Latest news from Avon, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (43.1%), English (30.2%), French (8.1%), Irish (6.9%), German (4.6%), Scottish (2.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 02/22/1802
Elevation: 493 feet
Land area: 41.3 square miles.
Population density: 11 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Avon:
- High school or higher: 74.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 13.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Avon town:
- Never married: 20.9%
- Now married: 55.7%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 8.7%
- Divorced: 13.9%
3 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Avon town:||0.9% ($664)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (77.8 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (175.0 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (326.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Phillips, ME (2.1 miles ), Strong, ME (2.5 miles ), Weld, ME (2.8 miles ), Temple, ME (2.8 miles ), Madrid, ME (2.9 miles) , New Vineyard, ME (3.1 miles ), Farmington, ME (3.5 miles ), Industry, ME (3.5 miles ).
Latitude: 44.79 N, Longitude: 70.32 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (18%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (13%)
- Wood products (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Paper (8%)
- Groceries and related products merchant wholesalers (4%)
- Health care (26%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (8%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (9%)
- Secondary school teachers (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (13%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (11%)
- Registered nurses (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Health technologists and technicians (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Avon, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Avon-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 168.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 206.9 miles away from Avon center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 109.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 111.7 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 45.0 miles away from Avon center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 16.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (25) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 18
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 15, Storms: 13, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Zebulon York - Confederate Army general.
airports located in Avon:
- Lindbergh Airport (08ME) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Avon:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 13 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 41 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 68 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Husson University (about 76 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Southern Maine (about 78 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 80 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Maine (about 82 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
Cemeteries: Pease Cemetery (1), Avon Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Day Mountain Pond (A), Mount Blue Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Trask Brook (A), Dickey Brook (B), Mount Blue Stream (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 38.2. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2004 was 3.52. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 19.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 11.6. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 12.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.53. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 19.8 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Avon town (based on Franklin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||4.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||3.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||6.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||14.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.53% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,698 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Androscoggin County, ME||0.90% ($26,206 average AGI)|
|from Kennebec County, ME||0.54% ($29,552)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.49% ($38,396)|
5.73% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,388 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Avon:
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WLAM (1470 AM; 5 kW; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Avon:
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKTJ-FM (99.3 FM; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: FRANKLIN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WIGY (97.5 FM; MADISON, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Avon:
- W21BI (Channel 21; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 3m10ftTotal length
- $147,000Total costs
- 5,583Total average daily traffic
- 491Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,841Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- MT BLUE, Top Of Mt Blue, Mt Blue State Park (Lat: 44.728111 Lon: -70.342000), Type: Tower, Structure height: 16.8 m, Call Sign: WQNM773, Licensee ID: L01544791
Assigned Frequencies: 942.575 MHz, 942.975 MHzGrant Date: 03/25/2011, Expiration Date: 03/25/2021, Certifier: David E MarsRegistrant: State Of; Mscommnet Project Maine, 91 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333-0091, Phone: (207) 624-9933, Email:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
- Hazardous Condition: 4
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (75%)
- Wood (23%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- Electricity (1%)
Avon compared to Maine state average:
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.