|Median resident age:||32.3 years|
|Georgia median age:||33.4 years|
Zip code: 31624
Axson CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $64,054 (it was $31,300 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,007 (81.5%)
- Hispanic - 167 (13.5%)
- Black alone - 51 (4.1%)
- American Indian alone - 5 (0.4%)
- Two or more races - 5 (0.4%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 177 feet
Land area: 88.8 square miles.
Population density: 15 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Axson:
- High school or higher: 56.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 1.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.7%
- Unemployed: 7.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Axson CCD:
- Never married: 13.8%
- Now married: 75.2%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 4.4%
According to our research of Georgia and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Axson, Georgia as of March 02, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Axson to the number of sex offenders is 1,325 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Axson CCD:||1.1% ($349)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Albany, GA (88.5 miles , pop. 76,939).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Jacksonville, FL (91.1 miles , pop. 735,617).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (737.1 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Pearson, GA (2.9 miles ), Waresboro, GA (3.4 miles ), Dixie Union, GA (3.5 miles ), Argyle, GA (3.8 miles) , Nicholls, GA (4.1 miles ), Homerville, GA (4.1 miles ), Douglas, GA (4.2 miles ), Manor, GA (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 31.28 N, Longitude: 82.71 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 912
Unemployment by year (%)
- Textile mills and textile products (15%)
- Construction (13%)
- Wood products (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (12%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Public administration (14%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (9%)
- Health care (8%)
- Food (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (22%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (10%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (4%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (11%)
- Cashiers (10%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Bus drivers (6%)
- Other financial specialists (5%)
Average climate in Axson, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Axson-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 5% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/18/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 25.3 miles away from the Axson place center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/11/1952, a category F3 tornado 30.2 miles away from the place center injured 10 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Axson-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 179.7 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 187.3 miles away from Axson center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 421.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 270.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/11/2002 at 23:39:29, a magnitude 4.4 (4.0 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 1.5 mi) earthquake occurred 180.4 miles away from Axson center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 279.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Atkinson County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Drought: 1, Fire: 1, Hurricane: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Axson:
- South Georgia State College (about 18 miles; Douglas, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,507)
- Valdosta State University (about 46 miles; Valdosta, GA; FT enrollment: 11,155)
- Wiregrass Georgia Technical College (about 47 miles; Valdosta, GA; FT enrollment: 3,246)
- Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (about 51 miles; Tifton, GA; FT enrollment: 2,564)
- College of Coastal Georgia (about 73 miles; Brunswick, GA; FT enrollment: 2,447)
- Florida Gateway College (about 77 miles; Lake City, FL; FT enrollment: 2,179)
- Albany State University (about 88 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 3,662)
Notable location: Axson Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Axson include: Allen Chapel (A), First Born Church (B), Mount Zion Church (C), Red Bluff Church (D), Stokesville Church (E), Utah Church (F), Axson Church (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Utah Cemetery (1), White Cemetery (2), Kight Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Swamps: Head of the Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Sweetwater Creek (A), Smut Branch (B), Pudding Creek (C), Big Branch (D), Little Red Bluff Creek (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 0.00138. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.3 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Axson compared to Georgia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (66%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (26%)
- Wood (7%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Axson CCD (based on Atkinson County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 46.43%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Old Missionary Baptists Associations||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Atkinson County:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Atkinson County:||7.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
6.05% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($19,163 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Coffee County, GA||2.10% ($19,275 average AGI)|
8.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($23,262 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Axson:
- WDMG (860 AM; 5 kW; DOUGLAS, GA; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WOKA (1310 AM; 4 kW; DOUGLAS, GA; Owner: COFFEE COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WOBS (1530 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: WORD BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WGSR (1570 AM; 50 kW; FERNANDINA BEACH, FL; Owner: RJM COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WCGA (1100 AM; daytime; 10 kW; WOODBINE, GA; Owner: COX BROADCAST GROUP, INC.)
- WUFE (1260 AM; daytime; 5 kW; BAXLEY, GA; Owner: SOUTH GEORGIA BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WFNS (1350 AM; 3 kW; BLACKSHEAR, GA; Owner: MARMAC COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WJEM (1150 AM; 5 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: WJEM, INC.)
- WMGA (1130 AM; 10 kW; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: RADIO MOULTRIE, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Axson:
- WXVS (90.1 FM; WAYCROSS, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WPNG (101.9 FM; PEARSON, GA; Owner: KM RADIO OF PEARSON, L.L.C.)
- WOKA-FM (106.7 FM; DOUGLAS, GA; Owner: COFFEE COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WWSN (103.3 FM; WAYCROSS, GA; Owner: QANTUM OF BRUNSWICK LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WBYZ (94.5 FM; BAXLEY, GA; Owner: SOUTH GEORGIA BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WDMG-FM (99.5 FM; DOUGLAS, GA; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WAJQ-FM (104.3 FM; ALMA, GA; Owner: BLUEBERRY BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WJYF (95.3 FM; NASHVILLE, GA; Owner: TIFTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WBTY (98.7 FM; HOMERVILLE, GA; Owner: SOUTHERN BROADCASTING & INVESTMENT CO., INC.)
- WKUB (105.1 FM; BLACKSHEAR, GA; Owner: MATTOX BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Axson:
- WXGA-TV (Channel 8; WAYCROSS, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WPXC-TV (Channel 21; BRUNSWICK, GA; Owner: PAXSON JAX LICENSE, INC.)
- WVAG (Channel 44; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: HUTCHENS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Axson)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- AXSON, Hwy 82 (Hv661 - Axson) (Lat: 31.281917 Lon: -82.758778), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 97 m, Overall height: 98 m, Call Sign: WQQG451
Assigned Frequencies: 11365.0 MHz
Grant Date: 12/04/2012, Expiration Date: 12/04/2022, Certifier: Chris Harris
Registrant: Conterra Ultra Broadband, LLC, 2101 Rexford Rd, Ste 200e, Charlotte, NC 28211, Phone: (704) 936-1801, Fax: (704) 936-1801, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KE4AFL, Licensee ID: L00670700
Grant Date: 04/09/2013, Expiration Date: 04/20/2023
Registrant: Kathryn G Abbey, 26 Doc Sutton Rd., Axson, GA 31624
- Call Sign: KR4WH, Previous Call Sign: KD4YST
Grant Date: 07/15/1994, Expiration Date: 05/31/2004, Cancellation Date: 06/01/2006
Registrant: Zdzislaw Hokaszewski, Rt 1 Box 48, Axson, GA 31624
- Call Sign: WA4WVE, Licensee ID: L01020668
Grant Date: 05/23/2005, Expiration Date: 08/17/2015, Certifier: Carl B Christopher
Registrant: Carl B Christopher, Rt 1 Box 129, Axson, GA 31624
Axson on our top lists:
- #19 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Retail sales workers except cashiers"
- #19 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Wood products"
- #37 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Petroleum and petroleum products merchant wholesalers"
- #51 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Supervisors, construction and extraction workers"
- #54 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Customer service representatives"
- #55 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Supervisors, construction and extraction workers"
- #17 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2003"