|Median resident age:||40.5 years|
|Tennessee median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 37880
Barnard CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $124,108 (it was $83,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 6,031 (97.7%)
- Two or more races - 56 (0.9%)
- Hispanic - 43 (0.7%)
- Black alone - 20 (0.3%)
- American Indian alone - 19 (0.3%)
- Asian alone - 4 (0.06%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 100.8 square miles.
Population density: 63 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Barnard:
- High school or higher: 70.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.4%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 30.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Barnard CCD:
- Never married: 13.7%
- Now married: 71.2%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 8.8%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Barnard CCD:||0.8% ($667)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Knoxville, TN (38.9 miles , pop. 173,890).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Nashville-Davidson, TN (125.0 miles , pop. 545,524).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (452.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Midtown, TN (2.9 miles ), Kingston, TN (3.0 miles ), Rockwood, TN (3.0 miles ), Ten Mile, TN (3.2 miles ), Philadelphia, TN (3.4 miles ), Harriman, TN (3.4 miles ), Sweetwater, TN (3.6 miles ), Loudon, TN (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 35.76 N, Longitude: 84.58 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 865
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (12%)
- Transportation equipment (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Utilities (7%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Health care (12%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (10%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (5%)
- Construction (5%)
- Transportation equipment (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
Average climate in Barnard, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Barnard-area historical tornado activity is below Tennessee state average. It is 8% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/2/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 17.6 miles away from the Barnard place center killed 4 people and injured 8 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 2/21/1993, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 10.5 miles away from the place center killed one person and injured 55 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Barnard-area historical earthquake activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 35.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 105.6 miles away from Barnard center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 172.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 260.5 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 176.6 miles away from Barnard center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 234.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Roane County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Tornadoes: 3, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Barnard:
- MICHAEL DUNN CENTER JULIA CAILLIOUETTE (Hospital, about 8 miles away; KINGSTON, TN)
- MICHAEL DUNN CENTER LEDA HERRON HOME (Hospital, about 8 miles away; KINGSTON, TN)
- RENAISSANCE TERRACE CARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; HARRIMAN, TN)
- (CLOSED) BAPTIST HOSPITAL OF ROANE COUNTY (Hospital, about 10 miles away; ROCKWOOD, TN)
- ARCON/BAPTIST HLTH CTR OF ROCKWOOD LLC (Hospital, about 10 miles away; ROCKWOOD, TN)
- KINGSTON DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; KINGSTON, TN)
- SWEETWATER HOSP HOME HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; SWEETWATER, TN)
Operable nuclear power plant near Barnard:
- 17 miles: Watts Bar 1 in Spring City, TN.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Barnard:
- Roane State Community College (about 9 miles; Harriman, TN; Full-time enrollment: 4,302)
- Pellissippi State Community College (about 27 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 7,271)
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville (about 40 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 25,483)
- Cleveland State Community College (about 43 miles; Cleveland, TN; FT enrollment: 2,500)
- Lee University (about 45 miles; Cleveland, TN; FT enrollment: 4,422)
- Southern Adventist University (about 56 miles; Collegedale, TN; FT enrollment: 2,898)
- Chattanooga State Community College (about 59 miles; Chattanooga, TN; FT enrollment: 6,827)
Notable locations in Barnard: Southwest Point Golf Course (A), Camp John Knox (B), Blue Springs Dock (C), Bayside Dock (D), South Roane County Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (E), South Roane County Volunteer Fire Department Station 4 (F), South Roane County Volunteer Fire Department Station 3 (G), South Roane County Volunteer Fire Department Station 5 (H), South Roane County Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Barnard include: Erie Church (A), Chapman Grove Church (B), Ponder Church (C), Salem Church (D), Tennessee Chapel (E), Johnson Chapel (F), Compromise Church (G), Pleasant Hill Church (H), Bethel Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Hornsby Cemetery (1), Isham Cemetery (2), Jackson Cemetery (3), Johnson Cemetery (4), Union Star Cemetery (5), Kelsay Cemetery (6), Lacy Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Claude Reed Lake (A), Watts Bar Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Laurel Bluff Branch (A), Jackson Branch (B), Huffine Branch (C), Hood Branch (D), Greenbrier Branch (E), Gordon Branch (F), Evans Branch (G), Cedar Fork (H), Cane Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Barnard: Riley Creek Recreational Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 104. This is significantly worse than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2005 was 1.89. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.0 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 18.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 9.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 11.1. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 9.8 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Barnard compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (62%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (23%)
- Wood (8%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
- Utility gas (2%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Barnard CCD (based on Roane County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 58.16%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Churches of Christ||Presbyterian Church (USA)|
|Name||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Catholic Church||International Church of the Foursquare Gospel||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Roane County:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Roane County:||0.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Roane County:||5.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
5.47% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($41,767 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Knox County, TN||1.00% ($42,005 average AGI)|
|from Anderson County, TN||0.59% ($44,327)|
|from Morgan County, TN||0.45% ($26,518)|
5.67% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,305 average adjusted gross income)
0.09% of residents moved to foreign countries ($291 average AGI)
Roane County: 0.09% Tennessee average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Barnard:
- WOFE (580 AM; 1 kW; ROCKWOOD, TN; Owner: SOUTHERN MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WECO (940 AM; 5 kW; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY B/CASTING CO.)
- WMTY (670 AM; daytime; 3 kW; FARRAGUT, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WDEH (800 AM; 1 kW; SWEETWATER, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WQBB (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; POWELL, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- WLOD (1140 AM; daytime; 1 kW; LOUDON, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WATO (1290 AM; 5 kW; OAK RIDGE, TN)
- WLIL (730 AM; 1 kW; LENOIR CITY, TN; Owner: BP BROADCASTERS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Barnard:
- WKTS (90.1 FM; KINGSTON, TN; Owner: THE KINGSTON CENTURY CLUB INC.)
- WWSR (105.7 FM; ROCKWOOD, TN; Owner: SOUTHERN MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WBZH (92.7 FM; HARRIMAN, TN; Owner: SOUTHERN MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WMKW (89.3 FM; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WLOD-FM (98.3 FM; SWEETWATER, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WDVX (89.9 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNITIES COMMUNI CORP.)
- WAYA (93.9 FM; SPRING CITY, TN; Owner: J. L. BREWER BROADCASTING OF CLEVELAND, LLC)
- WLLJ (103.1 FM; ETOWAH, TN; Owner: FRIENDSHIP BROADCASTING LLC.)
- WKZX-FM (93.5 FM; LENOIR CITY, TN; Owner: BP BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- WUOT (91.9 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE)
- WJSQ (101.7 FM; ATHENS, TN; Owner: JAMES C. SLIGER)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWST (102.1 FM; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WYGO (99.5 FM; MADISONVILLE, TN; Owner: MAJOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WOWF (102.5 FM; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: PEG BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJXB-FM (97.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WCVP-FM (95.9 FM; ROBBINSVILLE, NC; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WECO-FM (101.3 FM; WARTBURG, TN; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around Barnard:
- WDTT-LP (Channel 38; LENOIR CITY, TN; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WFLI-TV (Channel 53; CLEVELAND, TN; Owner: CHATTANOOGA MEDIA HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
- WVLT-TV (Channel 8; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WVLT LICENSEE CORP.)
- W46DC (Channel 46; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W50AB (Channel 50; HIAWASSEE, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WKOP-TV (Channel 15; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WBIR-TV (Channel 10; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: GANNETT PACIFIC CORPORATION)
- WATE-TV (Channel 6; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WATE, G.P.)
- WTNZ (Channel 43; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WBXX-TV (Channel 20; CROSSVILLE, TN; Owner: ACME TV LICENSES OF TENNESSEE, LLC)
- WEEE-LP (Channel 32; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEZK-LP (Channel 28; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
Barnard on our top lists:
- #97 on the list of "Top 100 least racially diverse cities (pop. 5,000+)"
- #84 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #91 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"