Barnes City, Iowa
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||43.6 years|
|Iowa median age:||38.0 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $19,848 (it was $14,135 in 2000)
Barnes City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $53,148 (it was $29,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $78,567; Detached houses: $82,104; Mobile homes: $28,225
Median gross rent in 2016: $613.
Races in Barnes City, IA (2010)
- 17599.4%White alone
- 10.6%American Indian alone
Latest news from Barnes City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (30.8%), Irish (12.5%), Swedish (12.5%), American (7.5%), Dutch (6.7%), Scotch-Irish (5.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 04/20/1899
Elevation: 900 feet
Land area: 0.60 square miles.
Population density: 294 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Barnes City:
- High school or higher: 79.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 4.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.1%
- Unemployed: 5.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Barnes City city:
- Never married: 31.6%
- Now married: 44.9%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 2.3%
- Divorced: 20.7%
According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Barnes City, Iowa as of December 13, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Barnes City to the number of sex offenders is 267 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $539 (0.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $610 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Iowa City, IA (49.9 miles , pop. 62,220).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Omaha, NE (184.7 miles , pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (248.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Gibson, IA (2.1 miles) , Montezuma, IA (2.5 miles ), Deep River, IA (2.6 miles ), Thornburg, IA (2.8 miles) , What Cheer, IA (3.1 miles ), New Sharon, IA (3.1 miles ), Guernsey, IA (3.4 miles) , Keswick, IA (3.5 miles ).
Latitude: 41.51 N, Longitude: 92.47 W
Area code: 641
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (45%)
- Construction (13%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Transportation and warehousing (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Health care and social assistance (38%)
- Manufacturing (17%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Production occupations (33%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (16%)
- Transportation occupations (11%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (21%)
- Personal care and service occupations (15%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (13%)
- Healthcare support occupations (13%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (11%)
- Sales and related occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (6%)
Average climate in Barnes City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Barnes City-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 93% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/12/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 22.4 miles away from the Barnes City city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/7/1984, a category F4 tornado 32.4 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 64 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Barnes City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Iowa state average. It is 83% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 321.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 305.3 miles away from Barnes City center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 184.9 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 338.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 348.5 miles away from Barnes City center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 322.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Mahaska County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 11, Tornadoes: 6, Winter Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Barnes City:
- Indian Hills Community College (about 33 miles; Ottumwa, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,034)
- University of Iowa (about 50 miles; Iowa City, IA; FT enrollment: 24,735)
- Kirkwood Community College (about 51 miles; Cedar Rapids, IA; FT enrollment: 11,503)
- Des Moines Area Community College (about 61 miles; Ankeny, IA; FT enrollment: 15,337)
- Drake University (about 62 miles; Des Moines, IA; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- Hawkeye Community College (about 65 miles; Waterloo, IA; FT enrollment: 7,160)
- University of Northern Iowa (about 70 miles; Cedar Falls, IA; FT enrollment: 10,816)
Notable locations in Barnes City: Barnes City Volunteer Fire Department (A), Barnes City Hall (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Barnes City include: Christian Church (A), Barnes City United Methodist Church (B), Barnes City Community Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Barnes City Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
(12.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This city:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Barnes City city (based on Mahaska County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Mahaska County:||1.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mahaska County:||0.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||0.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mahaska County:||6.29 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Barnes City, IA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||8||$497|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||9||$531|
Barnes City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Regular Highways: $23,000 ($130.68)
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $30,000 ($170.45)
Solid Waste Management: $13,000 ($73.86)
Fire Protection: $11,000 ($62.50)
General - Other: $7,000 ($39.77)
Regular Highways: $6,000 ($34.09)
Judicial and Legal Services: $2,000 ($11.36)
Central Staff Services: $2,000 ($11.36)
Protective Inspection and Regulation, NEC: $2,000 ($11.36)
Financial Administration: $2,000 ($11.36)
General Public Buildings: $1,000 ($5.68)
Parks & Recreation: $1,000 ($5.68)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $4,000 ($22.73)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $1,000 ($5.68)
Barnes City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $14,000 ($79.55)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $8,000 ($45.45)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $3,000 ($17.05)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $32,000 ($181.82)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $16,000 ($90.91)
General Support: $3,000 ($17.05)
- Tax - Property: $22,000 ($125.00)
Total General Sales: $12,000 ($68.18)
Public Utilities: $1,000 ($5.68)
NEC: $1,000 ($5.68)
Barnes City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $13,000 ($73.86)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $8,000 ($45.45)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Water Utilities: $5,000 ($28.41)
Barnes City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $149,000 ($846.59)
5.88% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,188 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Wapello County, IA||0.85% ($35,377 average AGI)|
|from Marion County, IA||0.63% ($28,157)|
|from Keokuk County, IA||0.50% ($26,927)|
5.86% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,650 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Barnes City:
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KCJJ (1630 AM; 10 kW; IOWA CITY, IA; Owner: RIVER CITY RADIO, INC.)
- WSUI (910 AM; 5 kW; IOWA CITY, IA; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA)
- WMT (600 AM; 5 kW; CEDAR RAPIDS, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KBGG (1700 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KDNZ (1650 AM; 10 kW; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Owner: FIFE COMMUNICATIONS CO., LLC)
- KCNZ (1250 AM; 10 kW; CEDAR FALLS, IA; Owner: FIFE COMMUNICATION COMPANY, L.C.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- WOI (640 AM; 5 kW; AMES, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIV., OF SCIENCE & TECH.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Barnes City:
- KSKB (99.1 FM; BROOKLYN, IA; Owner: FLORIDA PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- KBOE-FM (104.9 FM; OSKALOOSA, IA; Owner: JOMAST CORPORATION)
- KRNA (94.1 FM; IOWA CITY, IA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KRTI (106.7 FM; GRINNELL, IA; Owner: CENTRAL IOWA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KAZR (103.3 FM; PELLA, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KCWN (99.9 FM; NEW SHARON, IA; Owner: CROWN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KKSI (101.5 FM; EDDYVILLE, IA; Owner: O-TOWN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Barnes City:
- WOI-TV (Channel 5; AMES, IA; Owner: CAPITAL COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY, INC.)
- KYOU-TV (Channel 15; OTTUMWA, IA; Owner: WAITT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KDSM-TV (Channel 17; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: KDSM LICENSEE, LLC)
- KPWB-TV (Channel 23; AMES, IA; Owner: PAPPAS TELECASTING OF IOWA, L.L.C.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 9m30ftTotal length
- 5,649Total average daily traffic
- 408Total average daily truck traffic
- 6,893Total future (year 2034) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KE0FSW, Licensee ID: L01965657, Grant Date: 09/10/2015, Expiration Date: 09/10/2025, Cancellation Date: 01/05/2016, Certifier: Ralph E Beck, Registrant: Ralph E Beck, Barnes City, IA 50027
- Call Sign: AB0EB, Previous Call Sign: KE0FSW, Licensee ID: L01965657, Grant Date: 01/05/2016, Expiration Date: 01/05/2026, Certifier: Ralph E Beck, Registrant: Ralph E Beck, Barnes City, IA 50027
Drinking water stations with addresses in Barnes City that have no violations reported:
- BARNES CITY WATER SUPPLY (Population served: 176, Primary Water Source Type: Purch groundwater)
|Most common first names in Barnes City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Barnes City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (86%)
- Electricity (7%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Wood (3%)
Barnes City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2018.