We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||37.8 years|
|Georgia median age:||33.4 years|
Zip code: 31625
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,894 (it was $14,475 in 2000)
Barney CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $95,584 (it was $55,800 in 2000)
Races in Barney, GA (2000)
- 58765.1%White alone
- 23325.8%Black alone
- 121.3%Two or more races
- 40.4%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Other race alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 239 feet
Land area: 44.2 square miles.
Population density: 20 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Barney:
- High school or higher: 68.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 2.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Barney CCD:
- Never married: 30.7%
- Now married: 47.7%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 12.1%
- Divorced: 9.4%
According to our research of Georgia and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Barney, Georgia as of September 27, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Barney to the number of sex offenders is 224 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Barney CCD:||0.6% ($317)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Albany, GA (55.0 miles , pop. 76,939).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Jacksonville, FL (120.8 miles , pop. 735,617).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (712.2 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Morven, GA (2.1 miles ), Berlin, GA (2.7 miles ), Cecil, GA (2.9 miles ), Hahira, GA (3.1 miles ), Adel, GA (3.3 miles ), Ellenton, GA (3.5 miles ), Sparks, GA (3.6 miles ), Pavo, GA (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 31.00 N, Longitude: 83.53 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 229
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (25%)
- Construction (18%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (7%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (3%)
- Health care (26%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Social assistance (12%)
- Construction (9%)
- Clothing and accessories, including shoe, stores (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Farm supplies merchant wholesalers (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (19%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (11%)
- Farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Pipelayers, plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters (7%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (12%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Child care workers (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Registered nurses (7%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
Average climate in Barney, Georgia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Barney-area historical tornado activity is near Georgia state average. It is 17% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/13/2000, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 29.5 miles away from the Barney place center killed 6 people and injured 15 people and caused $5 million in damages.
On 5/11/1952, a category F3 tornado 30.2 miles away from the place center injured 10 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Barney-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Georgia state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 378.8 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 207.5 miles away from Barney center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 222.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 270.6 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 238.0 miles away from Barney center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 274.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Brooks County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Barney:
- SMITH HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 10 miles away; HAHIRA, GA)
- COOK SENIOR LIVING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; ADEL, GA)
- DCA OF ADEL (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; ADEL, GA)
- SMITH NORTHVIEW HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 14 miles away; VALDOSTA, GA)
- BROOKS COUNTY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 15 miles away; QUITMAN, GA)
- BROOKS COUNTY DIALYSIS FACILITY (Dialysis Facility, about 15 miles away; QUITMAN, GA)
- PRESBYTERIAN HOME INC (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; QUITMAN, GA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Barney:
- Wiregrass Georgia Technical College (about 14 miles; Valdosta, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,246)
- Valdosta State University (about 18 miles; Valdosta, GA; FT enrollment: 11,155)
- Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College (about 34 miles; Tifton, GA; FT enrollment: 2,564)
- South Georgia State College (about 53 miles; Douglas, GA; FT enrollment: 2,507)
- Albany State University (about 54 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 3,662)
- Albany Technical College (about 54 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 3,707)
- Darton State College (about 57 miles; Albany, GA; FT enrollment: 5,000)
Churches in Barney include: Salem Church (A), Welcome Hope Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Gornto Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoirs: Alderman Pond (A), Burton Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Downing Creek (A), Pike Branch (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 44.3. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.62. This is about average. Closest monitor was 17.5 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 0.00220. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 17.4 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Barney CCD (based on Brooks County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Brooks County:||1.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||1.91 / 10,000 pop.|
|Brooks County:||1.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|Georgia:||0.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Brooks County:||4.90 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||1.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.41 / 10,000 pop.|
9.62% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($22,160 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lowndes County, GA||3.61% ($20,658 average AGI)|
|from Thomas County, GA||0.92% ($22,612)|
|from Cook County, GA||0.30% ($28,750)|
9.70% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($23,428 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Barney:
- WMGA (1130 AM; 10 kW; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: RADIO MOULTRIE, INC.)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WHGH (840 AM; daytime; 10 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: H. G. H INVESTMENT CORP.)
- WMTM (1300 AM; 5 kW; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: COLQUITT BROADCASTING COMPANY, LLC)
- WGOV (950 AM; 4 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: W G O V, INC.)
- WFVR (910 AM; 50 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RAMA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJEP (1020 AM; daytime; 10 kW; OCHLOCKNEE, GA; Owner: LIFELINE MINISTRIES, INCORPORATED)
- WJEM (1150 AM; 5 kW; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: WJEM, INC.)
- WTHV (810 AM; daytime; 3 kW; HAHIRA, GA; Owner: ETERNAL LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WMAC (940 AM; 50 kW; MACON, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WSFB (1490 AM; 1 kW; QUITMAN, GA; Owner: JIM CHION)
- WFRF (1070 AM; daytime; 10 kW; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: FAITH RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Barney:
- WDMG-FM (99.5 FM; DOUGLAS, GA; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WJYF (95.3 FM; NASHVILLE, GA; Owner: TIFTON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WYZK (96.7 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: C. D. J., INC.)
- WAFT (101.1 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: CHRISTIAN RADIO FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WDDQ (92.1 FM; ADEL, GA; Owner: WILLIAMS INVESTMENT COMPANY)
- WKVH (91.9 FM; MONTICELLO, FL; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- WFSU-FM (88.9 FM; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WAAC (92.9 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: WGOV, INC.)
- WOBB (100.3 FM; TIFTON, GA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMTM-FM (93.9 FM; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: COLQUITT BROADCASTING COMPANY, LLC)
- WTUF (106.3 FM; BOSTON, GA; Owner: BOSTON RADIO COMPANY, INC.)
- WGLF (104.1 FM; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WVGA (105.9 FM; LAKELAND, GA; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WWRQ-FM (107.9 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: RTG RADIO, LLC)
- WTIF-FM (107.5 FM; OMEGA, GA; Owner: OMEGA BROADCASTING CORP)
- WWET (91.7 FM; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WSTI-FM (105.3 FM; QUITMAN, GA; Owner: MAGNUM BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Barney:
- WVAG (Channel 44; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: HUTCHENS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCTV (Channel 6; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: WCTV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WTWC-TV (Channel 40; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: WTWC LICENSEE, LLC)
- W25CP (Channel 25; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WABW-TV (Channel 14; PELHAM, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- WBFL-CA (Channel 13; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: WTLH LICENSE CORP.)
- WBVJ-LP (Channel 35; VALDOSTA, GA; Owner: WTLH LICENSE CORP.)
- WTLH (Channel 49; BAINBRIDGE, GA; Owner: WTLH LICENSE CORP.)
- WALB (Channel 10; ALBANY, GA; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WFXL (Channel 31; ALBANY, GA; Owner: WAITT LICENSE COMPANY OF GEORGIA, L.L.C.)
- WTXL-TV (Channel 27; TALLAHASSEE, FL; Owner: MEDIA VENTURE MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- W38CM (Channel 22; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: NATIONAL MINORITY T.V., INC.)
- W19CP (Channel 19; MOULTRIE, GA; Owner: TIFT AREA TV)
- W33BX (Channel 33; TIFTON, GA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Barney fatal accident list:
Nov 20, 1984 12:03 AM, 122, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Barney)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- N Of Milepost 11 (Lat: 31.006306 Lon: -83.513500), Structure height: 58 m, Call Sign: KIL362, Licensee ID: L00008014
Assigned Frequencies: 160.950 MHzGrant Date: 06/15/2001, Expiration Date: 07/30/2011, Cancellation Date: 09/12/2001Registrant: Norfolk Southern Railway Company, 99 Spring St Sw, Atlanta, GA 30303, Phone: (404) 749-6061
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- VALGA0060 (FMH), 0.68 Mi N Of State Route 122 And 0.37 Mi W Of State Route 333 (Lat: 31.009722 Lon: -83.579694), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 95.1 m, Call Sign: WQRN323
Assigned Frequencies: 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHzGrant Date: 06/24/2013, Expiration Date: 06/24/2023, Certifier: Patricia MorrisonRegistrant: Radyn, Inc, Silver Spring, MD 20914, Phone: (301) 493-5171, Fax: (301) 576-4553, Email:
- BARNGA, N Of Milepost 11 (Lat: 31.006750 Lon: -83.513778), Type: Tower, Structure height: 57.9 m, Overall height: 58.9 m, Call Sign: KNV85
Assigned Frequencies: 5945.20 MHz, 5974.85 MHzGrant Date: 10/25/2011, Expiration Date: 12/05/2021Registrant: Norfolk Southern Railway Company, 1200 Peachtree St. Ne - Box 110, Atlanta, GA 30309, Phone: (404) 582-6244, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KB7GUN, Licensee ID: L00130445, Grant Date: 04/12/2010, Expiration Date: 01/09/2020, Certifier: Lawrence G Skaling, Registrant: Lawrence G Skaling, 3049 Connally Rd, Barney, GA 31625
- Call Sign: N7UWG, Licensee ID: L00441196, Grant Date: 01/29/2003, Expiration Date: 11/19/2012, Cancellation Date: 11/20/2014, Certifier: Wendy A Skaling, Registrant: Wendy A Skaling, Rr 1 Box 288, Barney, GA 31625
- Call Sign: WD4JJJ, Grant Date: 04/25/1995, Expiration Date: 04/25/2005, Cancellation Date: 04/26/2007, Registrant: Clarence W Cordell, Rt 1 Box 404, Barney, GA 31625
- Call Sign: KM4SMT, Licensee ID: L02012003, Grant Date: 03/21/2016, Expiration Date: 03/21/2026, Certifier: Randy E Hutchinson, Registrant: Randy E Hutchinson, 194 Bourquine Rd, Barney, GA 31625
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (64%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (33%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
Barney compared to Georgia state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.