Beal City, Michigan
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||31.3 years|
|Michigan median age:||39.7 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $22,095 (it was $16,185 in 2000)
Beal City CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $90,390 (it was $107,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $163,472; Detached houses: $173,851; Townhouses or other attached units: $258,152; In 2-unit structures: $123,468; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $124,565; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $169,129; Mobile homes: $44,659
Median gross rent in 2015: $658.
Races in Beal City, MI (2010)
- 34095.2%White alone
- 92.5%Two or more races
- 30.8%American Indian alone
- 10.3%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
- Higher local employment numbers lead to higher payrolls, especially in finance Apr 15
Latest news from Beal City, MI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (75.3%), Dutch (14.6%), Irish (3.3%), American (2.1%), Italian (1.7%), Scottish (1.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 865 feet
Land area: 4.01 square miles.
Population density: 89 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Beal City:
- High school or higher: 94.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.4%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Beal City CDP:
- Never married: 28.5%
- Now married: 62.2%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 2.1%
3 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Beal City CDP:||0.8% ($816)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Saginaw, MI (51.1 miles , pop. 61,799).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Detroit, MI (127.4 miles , pop. 951,270).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (189.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Weidman, MI (1.8 miles ), Lake Isabella, MI (2.3 miles ), Village of Lake Isabella, MI (2.3 miles ), Rosebush, MI (2.7 miles ), Mount Pleasant, MI (2.9 miles ), Farwell, MI (3.4 miles ), Clare, MI (3.6 miles ), Barryton, MI (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 43.67 N, Longitude: 84.91 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 989
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (45%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (20%)
- Transportation and warehousing (12%)
- Construction (7%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (3%)
- Health care and social assistance (35%)
- Educational services (28%)
- Information (12%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Manufacturing (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Material moving occupations (21%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (17%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (16%)
- Transportation occupations (16%)
- Management occupations (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Production occupations (5%)
- Management occupations (28%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Sales and related occupations (17%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (15%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (10%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (2%)
Average climate in Beal City, Michigan
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Beal City-area historical tornado activity is near Michigan state average. It is 3% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1956, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 30.0 miles away from the Beal City place center killed 18 people and injured 340 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/11/1965, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 42.3 miles away from the place center killed 5 people and injured 142 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Beal City-area historical earthquake activity is near Michigan state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 274.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 238.4 miles away from Beal City center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 218.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 392.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1994 at 21:23:06, a magnitude 3.5 (3.4 LG, 3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 62.2 miles away from Beal City center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 240.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Isabella County (8) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Blizzard: 1, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Tornado: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Beal City:
- MT PLEASANT REGIONAL CENTER (Hospital, about 8 miles away; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI)
- HOSPICE OF CENTRAL MICHIGAN, I (Hospital, about 9 miles away; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI)
- ISABELLA CO MEDICAL CARE FACIL (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI)
- CENTRAL MICHIGAN HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI)
- MCLAREN CENTRAL MICHIGAN Acute Care Hospitals (about 9 miles away; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI)
- LAURELS OF MT. PLEASANT (THE) (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI)
- PLEASANT MANOR (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Beal City:
- Central Michigan University (about 9 miles; Mount Pleasant, MI; Full-time enrollment: 22,758)
- Mid Michigan Community College (about 22 miles; Harrison, MI; FT enrollment: 3,653)
- Ferris State University (about 29 miles; Big Rapids, MI; FT enrollment: 11,238)
- Northwood University-Michigan (about 32 miles; Midland, MI; FT enrollment: 2,763)
- Delta College (about 47 miles; University Center, MI; FT enrollment: 7,480)
- Saginaw Valley State University (about 49 miles; University Center, MI; FT enrollment: 9,021)
- Cornerstone University (about 59 miles; Grand Rapids, MI; FT enrollment: 2,573)
Church in Beal City: Saint Joseph Church-Beal City (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Saint Joseph Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This place:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Beal City CDP (based on Isabella County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Isabella County:||1.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Michigan:||2.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Isabella County:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Michigan:||1.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Isabella County:||3.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.80 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Beal City, MI Residents
7.77% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,616 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Gratiot County, MI||0.60% ($26,946 average AGI)|
|from Clare County, MI||0.58% ($24,452)|
|from Midland County, MI||0.50% ($26,196)|
8.49% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($38,919 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved to foreign countries ($179 average AGI)
Isabella County: 0.08% Michigan average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Beal City:
- WOAP (1080 AM; 50 kW; OWOSSO, MI)
- WMMI (830 AM; daytime; 1 kW; SHEPHERD, MI; Owner: CENTRAL MICHIGAN COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WLDR (1210 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KINGSLEY, MI; Owner: FORT BEND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTCM (580 AM; 35 kW; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Owner: WTCM RADIO, INC.)
- WBRN (1460 AM; 5 kW; BIG RAPIDS, MI; Owner: RH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWJ (950 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WJR (760 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WOOD (1300 AM; 20 kW; GRAND RAPIDS, MI; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFDF (910 AM; 50 kW; FLINT, MI; Owner: ABC, INC.)
- WXYT (1270 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF DETROIT)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WCHB (1200 AM; 50 kW; TAYLOR, MI; Owner: RADIO ONE OF DETROIT, LLC)
- WDFN (1130 AM; 50 kW; DETROIT, MI; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Beal City:
- WCZY-FM (104.3 FM; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI; Owner: CENTRAL MICHIGAN COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WMHW-FM (91.5 FM; MT. PLEASANT, MI; Owner: CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY)
- WCFX (95.3 FM; CLARE, MI; Owner: GOLDSEN BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WCEN-FM (94.5 FM; HEMLOCK, MI; Owner: NM LICENSING LLC)
- WCMU-FM (89.5 FM; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI; Owner: CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIV. BD OF TRUSTES)
- WUGN (99.7 FM; MIDLAND, MI; Owner: FAMILY LIFE BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INC)
- WUPS (98.5 FM; HOUGHTON LAKE, MI; Owner: COLTRACE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEJC (88.3 FM; WHITE STAR, MI; Owner: SUPERIOR COMMUNICATIONS)
- WMRX-FM (97.7 FM; BEAVERTON, MI; Owner: STEEL BROADCASTING, INC)
- WGDN-FM (103.1 FM; GLADWIN, MI; Owner: APPLE BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WPRJ (101.7 FM; COLEMAN, MI; Owner: COME TOGETHER MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WVXH (92.1 FM; HARRISON, MI; Owner: XAVIER UNIVERSITY)
- WSCG-FM (106.3 FM; LAKEVIEW, MI; Owner: STAFFORD BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Beal City:
- WCMU-TV (Channel 14; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI; Owner: CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY)
- WBWM-LP (Channel 32; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI; Owner: P & P CABLE HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
- W61DK (Channel 61; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI; Owner: NTN/SAGINAW, INC.)
- W60CO (Channel 60; MOUNT PLEASANT, MI; Owner: NTN/SAGINAW, INC.)
- WWTV (Channel 9; CADILLAC, MI; Owner: HERITAGE B/CING COMPANY OF MICHIGAN)
- W46CR (Channel 46; SAGINAW/MIDLAND, MI; Owner: YONEIDE S. DINZEY)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 20m66ftTotal length
- $492,000Total costs
- 29,203Total average daily traffic
- 3,390Total average daily truck traffic
- 40,329Total future (year 2010) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (45%)
- Wood (30%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Other fuel (9%)
- Electricity (2%)
Beal City compared to Michigan state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
State forum archive: