Bellwood-Coffee Springs, Alabama
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||40.0 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 36316
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $19,801 (it was $14,513 in 2000)
Bellwood-Coffee Springs CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $77,033 (it was $51,600 in 2000)
Races in Bellwood-Coffee Springs, AL (2000)
- 2,05284.0%White alone
- 34314.0%Black alone
- 170.7%Two or more races
- 100.4%Asian alone
- 50.2%American Indian alone
- 20.08%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Higher-educated people are more likely to have a second job Jun 23
- Who wants to legalize marijuana in the United States? Jun 21
- From rich to super-rich: do you pay lower taxes? Jun 19
- Well-educated parents are more likely to stay together Jun 17
- Leisure time: do Americans spend it differently this decade? Jun 15
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 84.4 square miles.
Population density: 29 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Bellwood-Coffee Springs:
- High school or higher: 67.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.3%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bellwood-Coffee Springs CCD:
- Never married: 17.8%
- Now married: 62.3%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 12.2%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Bellwood-Coffee Springs CCD:||0.4% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Dothan, AL (28.8 miles , pop. 57,737).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Montgomery, AL (86.3 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (574.1 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Coffee Springs, AL (1.2 miles ), Geneva, AL (2.9 miles ), Eunola, AL (2.9 miles) , Samson, AL (3.2 miles ), Goodman, AL (3.2 miles ), Clayhatchee, AL (3.4 miles ), Enterprise, AL (3.5 miles ), Hartford, AL (3.5 miles ).
Latitude: 31.16 N, Longitude: 85.89 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 334
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (18%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (16%)
- Other transportation, and support activities, and couriers (9%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Food (4%)
- Health care (29%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Personal and laundry services (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (4%)
- Apparel (3%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (11%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (9%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Registered nurses (13%)
- Cashiers (9%)
- Personal appearance workers (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (4%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (3%)
Average climate in Bellwood-Coffee Springs, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Bellwood-Coffee Springs-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 49% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/1/2007, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 8.6 miles away from the Bellwood-Coffee Springs place center killed 9 people and injured 50 people and caused $250 million in damages.
On 12/29/1973, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.2 miles away from the place center injured 11 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Bellwood-Coffee Springs-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Alabama state average. It is 85% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 82.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 342.5 miles away from Bellwood-Coffee Springs center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 174.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 231.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 158.3 miles away from Bellwood-Coffee Springs center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 273.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Geneva County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Floods: 8, Hurricanes: 8, Tornadoes: 5, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Bellwood-Coffee Springs:
- COMPASSIONATE HANDS HOSPICE, INC (Hospital, about 8 miles away; GENEVA, AL)
- WIREGRASS MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 8 miles away; GENEVA, AL)
- GENEVA COUNTY HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 9 miles away; GENEVA, AL)
- DAVITA ENTERPRISE (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; ENTERPRISE, AL)
- ENTERPRISE HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; ENTERPRISE, AL)
- COMMUNITY CARE HOSPICE INC (Hospital, about 12 miles away; ENTERPRISE, AL)
- MEDICAL CENTER ENTERPRISE Acute Care Hospitals (about 12 miles away; ENTERPRISE, AL)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bellwood-Coffee Springs:
- Enterprise State Community College (about 11 miles; Enterprise, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,101)
- George C Wallace State Community College-Dothan (about 28 miles; Dothan, AL; FT enrollment: 3,611)
- Troy University (about 45 miles; Troy, AL; FT enrollment: 16,148)
- Northwest Florida State College (about 56 miles; Niceville, FL; FT enrollment: 5,052)
- Gulf Coast State College (about 68 miles; Panama City, FL; FT enrollment: 4,474)
- Bainbridge State College (about 83 miles; Bainbridge, GA; FT enrollment: 2,308)
- Auburn University at Montgomery (about 86 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 4,092)
Notable locations in Bellwood-Coffee Springs: Hodges Poultry Farms (A), Bellwood Sand Plant (B), Camp Wiregrass (C), Epperson (D), Twin Lakes Fishing Lodge (E), Bellwood Volunteer Fire Department (F), Coffee Springs Volunteer Fire Department (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Bellwood-Coffee Springs include: Mount Carmel Church (A), Pleasant Valley Missionary Baptist Church (B), New Hope Church (C), Providence Church (D), Shady Grove Church (E), Bellwood Church (F), Chancellor Church (G), Long Branch Church (H), Mount Myrah Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Pleasant Valley Cemetery (1), Mount Carmel Cemetery (2), Friendship Cemetery (3), El Bethel Cemetery (4), Eden Cemetery (5), Coffee Springs Cemetery (6), Shady Grove Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Lake Jeanette (A), Frank Davis Lake (B), Edwin Averett Lake (C), Murdock Pond (D), Dwight Brandon Lake (E), Fred Denman Lake (F), Bobby Jones Lake (G), Geneva County Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Smith Branch (A), Roaring Branch (B), Providence Creek (C), Palmer Branch (D), Old Etna Branch (E), Tight Eye Creek (F), Mauldin Creek (G), Wilkerson Creek (H), Wilson Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Bellwood-Coffee Springs CCD (based on Geneva County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Geneva County:||4.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Geneva County:||4.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
6.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,567 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Houston County, AL||1.87% ($24,937 average AGI)|
|from Coffee County, AL||0.82% ($32,600)|
|from Dale County, AL||0.48% ($31,610)|
7.33% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,378 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Bellwood-Coffee Springs:
- WTKN (1560 AM; daytime; 5 kW; DALEVILLE, AL; Owner: JOSEPH A. ADAMS, SR.)
- WQLS (1200 AM; 10 kW; OZARK, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WGEA (1150 AM; 1 kW; GENEVA, AL; Owner: SHELLEY BROADCASTING CO, INC., D.I.P)
- WOOF (560 AM; 5 kW; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WZEP (1460 AM; 10 kW; DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL; Owner: WALTON COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WOPP (1290 AM; 3 kW; OPP, AL; Owner: E. & R BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGTX (1280 AM; 5 kW; DE FUNIAK SPRINGS, FL)
- WSTT (730 AM; 25 kW; THOMASVILLE, GA; Owner: MARION R. WILLIAMS)
- WEBY (1330 AM; 25 kW; MILTON, FL; Owner: SPINNAKER LICENSE CORPORATION)
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTBF (970 AM; 5 kW; TROY, AL; Owner: TROY BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WAGF (1320 AM; 3 kW; DOTHAN, AL)
Strongest FM radio stations in Bellwood-Coffee Springs:
- WRJM-FM (93.7 FM; GENEVA, AL; Owner: STAGE DOOR DEVELOPMENT, INC.)
- WDJR (96.9 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: GULF SOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKMX (106.7 FM; ENTERPRISE, AL; Owner: WKMX, INC.)
- WZTZ (101.1 FM; ELBA, AL; Owner: ELBA RADIO COMPANY)
- WRWA (88.7 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: TROY STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WDYF (90.3 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: FAITH BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WOOF-FM (99.7 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WOOF, INC.)
- WTVY-FM (95.5 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: STYLES BROADCASTING OF DOTHAN, INC.)
- WXUS (100.5 FM; FORT RUCKER, AL; Owner: SKYWAY BROADCASTING, LTD.)
- WQLD (104.3 FM; LUVERNE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZHT (105.7 FM; TROY, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WFSY (98.5 FM; PANAMA CITY, FL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WAGF-FM (101.3 FM; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: WILSON BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WAQG (91.7 FM; OZARK, AL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
TV broadcast stations around Bellwood-Coffee Springs:
- WTVY (Channel 4; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WDFX-TV (Channel 34; OZARK, AL; Owner: WAITT LICENSE CO. OF ALABAMA, L.L.C.)
- WDIQ (Channel 2; DOZIER, AL; Owner: ALABAMA EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- WRJM-TV (Channel 67; TROY, AL; Owner: JOSIE PARK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSFA (Channel 12; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WDHN (Channel 18; DOTHAN, AL; Owner: MORRIS NETWORK OF ALABAMA, INC.)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (70%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (25%)
- Wood (2%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Bellwood-Coffee Springs compared to Alabama state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.