|Median resident age:||46.0 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Benson town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $133,788 (it was $75,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 178 (92.7%)
- Two or more races - 12 (6.3%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.5%)
- Hispanic - 1 (0.5%)
|Citi Bike...wtf? Costs as much as a metrocard. (352 replies)|
|Bloomberg's Latest Edict: Ban >16 oz drinks with sugar (537 replies)|
|2012 Official NYC Crime Thread (473 replies)|
|Defunct Manhattan Restaurants (16 replies)|
|BATTLE for NYC's BEST STEAKHOUSE (44 replies)|
|About the homogenization and reduction of character of Manhattan over time (compared to the Manhattan of earlier times) (18 replies)|
Latest news from Benson, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (31.8%), German (25.9%), Italian (17.4%), Dutch (7.5%), Polish (7.0%), English (5.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1156 feet
Land area: 82.7 square miles.
Population density: 2.3 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Benson:
- High school or higher: 86.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.3%
- Unemployed: 6.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Benson town:
- Never married: 22.2%
- Now married: 64.3%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 7.0%
- Divorced: 4.7%
4 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Benson town:||1.1% ($850)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (35.6 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Bronx, NY (167.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Hope, NY (2.3 miles ), Northville, NY (2.4 miles ), Bleecker, NY (2.9 miles ), Edinburg, NY (3.1 miles ), Mayfield, NY (3.2 miles ), Wells, NY (3.5 miles ), Caroga Lake, NY (3.6 miles ), Caroga, NY (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 43.25 N, Longitude: 74.28 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
- Public administration (17%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Plastics and rubber products (6%)
- Leather and allied products (5%)
- Paper (5%)
- Printing and related support activities (5%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Health care (20%)
- Social assistance (13%)
- Computer and electronic products (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (11%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (10%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Engineers (8%)
- Other financial specialists (5%)
- Therapists (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (9%)
- Business operations specialists (7%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (7%)
- Printing workers (7%)
Average climate in Benson, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Benson-area historical tornado activity is slightly below New York state average. It is 72% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.8 miles away from the Benson town center injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/16/1974, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 30.5 miles away from the town center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Benson-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 48.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 89.9 miles away from Benson center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 135.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 47.6 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 48.2 miles away from Benson center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 90.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Hamilton County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Blizzard: 1, Earthquake: 1, Hurricane: 1, Power Outage: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Helen Corbitt - Legendary cook and author who defined Texas cooking for nearly 50 years.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Benson:
- Fulton-Montgomery Community College (about 19 miles; Johnstown, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,043)
- Skidmore College (about 28 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 2,753)
- SUNY Empire State College (about 28 miles; Saratoga Springs, NY; FT enrollment: 9,473)
- Adirondack Community College (about 33 miles; Queensbury, NY; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Schenectady County Community College (about 35 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 3,676)
- Union College (about 35 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 2,075)
- Herkimer County Community College (about 40 miles; Herkimer, NY; FT enrollment: 2,774)
Notable location: Silver Lake Lean-to (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and swamps: Meco Lake (A), Rock Lake (B), Silver Lake (C), Three Ponds (D), White Lake (E), Woods Lake (F), Canary Pond (G), Duck Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Trypoli Creek (A), Goldmine Creek (B), Jack Green Creek (C), West Stony Creek (D), Abner Brook (E), King Vly Creek (F), Hatch Brook (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 67.0. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.150. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 14.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.2 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.1% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Benson compared to New York state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (57%)
- Wood (26%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (14%)
- Electricity (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Benson town (based on Hamilton County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 72.82%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||The Wesleyan Church||Evangelical Free Church of America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Hamilton County:||5.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Hamilton County:||15.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||39.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
5.25% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($52,189 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Saratoga County, NY||0.47% ($39,300 average AGI)|
6.18% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,023 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Benson:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WIZR (930 AM; 1 kW; JOHNSTOWN, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WOFX (980 AM; 5 kW; TROY, NY)
- WABY (1160 AM; 5 kW; MECHANICVILLE, NY; Owner: ANASTOS MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WENT (1340 AM; 1 kW; GLOVERSVILLE, NY; Owner: WHITNEY RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WROW (590 AM; 5 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Benson:
- WXLG (89.9 FM; NORTH CREEK, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WKBE (100.3 FM; WARRENSBURG, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCKM-FM (99.1 FM; LAKE GEORGE, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WNYQ (105.7 FM; QUEENSBURY, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WBKK (97.7 FM; AMSTERDAM, NY; Owner: GEM ASSOCIATES, L. P.)
- WXLH (91.3 FM; BLUE MOUNTAIN LAKE, NY; Owner: THE ST. LAWRENCE UNIVERSITY)
- WFFG-FM (107.1 FM; CORINTH, NY; Owner: VOX NEW YORK, L.L.C.)
- WBAR-FM (94.7 FM; LAKE LUZERNE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCQL (95.9 FM; GLENS FALLS, NY; Owner: ENTERTRONICS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WKRD (93.7 FM; SCOTIA, NY; Owner: DOT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBUG-FM (101.1 FM; FORT PLAIN, NY; Owner: ROSER COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, INC.)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WJIV (101.9 FM; CHERRY VALLEY, NY; Owner: CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING SYSTEM, LTD.)
- WQBJ (103.5 FM; COBLESKILL, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF MANSFIELD, INC.)
- WPGL (90.7 FM; PATTERSONVILLE, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WAJZ (96.3 FM; VOORHEESVILLE, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WYJB (95.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WSSK (89.7 FM; SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Benson:
- WYPX (Channel 55; AMSTERDAM, NY; Owner: PAXSON ALBANY LICENSE, INC.)
- WKTV (Channel 2; UTICA, NY; Owner: SMITH TELEVISION OF NEW YORK LICENSE HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WFNY-CA (Channel 49; GLOVERSVILLE, NY; Owner: MICHAEL A. SLEEZER)
Total length: 19 meters (62ft)
Total costs: $5,645,000
Total average daily traffic: 3,990
Total average daily truck traffic: 271
Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic: 5,574
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Cathead Mountain (Lat: 43.281750 Lon: -74.288750), Call Sign: WNIG200
Assigned Frequencies: 154.695 MHz, 155.370 MHz, 155.445 MHz, 155.475 MHz, 155.565 MHz
Grant Date: 01/20/2012, Expiration Date: 03/05/2022
Registrant: Nysp Mobile Communications Unit, Bldg. 15, Glenville Business & Technology Park West, Scotia, NY 12302, Phone: (518) 372-5394, Fax: (518) 372-5733, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- STATION, Cathead Mountain (Lat: 43.281722 Lon: -74.288722), Structure height: 17.7 m, Overall height: 32.9 m, Call Sign: WNEO491
Assigned Frequencies: 6743.75 MHz, 6761.25 MHz
Grant Date: 11/15/2007, Expiration Date: 02/08/2018
Registrant: Radyn, Inc, Bethesda, MD 20827, Phone: (301) 493-5171, Fax: (301) 576-4553, Email:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
Total of 4 patent applications in 2008-2015.