We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||38.3 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05476.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $26,456 (it was $15,713 in 2000)
Berkshire town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $197,086 (it was $93,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $244,170; Detached houses: $257,774; Townhouses or other attached units: $223,517; In 2-unit structures: $296,234; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $181,752; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $169,972; Mobile homes: $111,639
Races in Berkshire, VT (2010)
- 1,61995.7%White alone
- 352.1%Two or more races
- 110.7%American Indian alone
- 40.2%Black alone
- 40.2%Asian alone
|What Do People from Vermont think of New Hampshire? (21 replies)|
|Need advice on Vermont (10 replies)|
|Vermont Made Beers-Here's Your Thread :) (526 replies)|
|Retirement in Vermont- help!!! (40 replies)|
|What is with all of the ragging on VT? Burlington, specifically. (46 replies)|
|NYC to Mount Snow (4 replies)|
Latest news from Berkshire, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French Canadian (20.5%), United States (15.3%), French (14.5%), English (13.6%), Irish (12.3%), German (7.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 715 feet
Land area: 42.2 square miles.
Population density: 40 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Berkshire:
- High school or higher: 82.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.1%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Berkshire town:
- Never married: 26.1%
- Now married: 58.5%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 9.1%
94 residents are foreign born (4.0% North America, 2.7% Europe).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Berkshire, Vermont as of January 21, 2019.
The ratio of number of residents in Berkshire to the number of sex offenders is 338 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Berkshire town:||1.4% ($1,319)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (150.1 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (199.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (289.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Richford, VT (2.2 miles ), Enosburg Falls, VT (2.2 miles ), Enosburg, VT (2.3 miles ), Montgomery, VT (2.8 miles ), Franklin, VT (2.8 miles ), Sheldon, VT (3.3 miles ), Bakersfield, VT (3.4 miles ), Jay, VT (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 15 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1998: 18 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1999: 16 buildings, average cost: $109,200
- 2000: 14 buildings, average cost: $118,000
- 2001: 21 buildings, average cost: $121,400
- 2002: 12 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2003: 13 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2004: 31 buildings, average cost: $134,100
- 2005: 23 buildings, average cost: $143,700
- 2006: 5 buildings, average cost: $166,800
- 2007: 5 buildings, average cost: $179,200
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $181,200
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2010: 4 buildings, average cost: $152,400
- 2011: 5 buildings, average cost: $134,600
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $75,000
- 2013: 6 buildings, average cost: $80,300
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $120,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.95 N, Longitude: 72.73 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (27%)
- Construction (12%)
- Food (9%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Computer and electronic products (5%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Paper (4%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Health care (14%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (16%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (4%)
- Health technologists and technicians (4%)
Average climate in Berkshire, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Berkshire-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Vermont state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 58.3 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 105.5 miles away from Berkshire center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 115.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 57.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 61.1 miles away from Berkshire center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 102.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (20) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 19
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 14, Storms: 13, Winds: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snow: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Charles C. Ellsworth - Politician, Eugene Foss - Politician, George Edmund Foss - Politician.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Berkshire:
- Saint Michael's College (about 39 miles; Colchester, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,336)
- Community College of Vermont (about 39 miles; Winooski, VT; FT enrollment: 3,394)
- University of Vermont (about 41 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 11,566)
- SUNY College at Plattsburgh (about 41 miles; Plattsburgh, NY; FT enrollment: 5,934)
- Champlain College (about 41 miles; Burlington, VT; FT enrollment: 2,623)
- Norwich University (about 57 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
- Middlebury College (about 69 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
Notable locations in Berkshire: Nutting Corners (A), Burling Farm (B), Berkshire Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Berkshire: East Berkshire Congregational Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: West Berkshire Cemetery (1), Berkshire Cemetery (2), East Berkshire Episcopal Cemetery (3), East Berkshire Congregational Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Burleson Pond (A), Enosburg Falls Reservoir (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Mineral Brook (A), Trout River (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Berkshire town (based on Franklin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||3.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||1.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||7.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,552 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Chittenden County, VT||2.17% ($39,326 average AGI)|
|from Grand Isle County, VT||0.24% ($41,458)|
|from Lamoille County, VT||0.22% ($30,326)|
4.58% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($35,424 average adjusted gross income)
0.06% of residents moved to foreign countries ($410 average AGI)
Franklin County: 0.06% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Berkshire:
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WVMT (620 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: SISON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WEAV (960 AM; 5 kW; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTWK (1070 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WVAA (1390 AM; 5 kW; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, KDR, LLC)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRSA (1420 AM; 1 kW; ST. ALBANS, VT)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Berkshire:
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WNCS (104.7 FM; MONTPELIER, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLFE-FM (102.3 FM; ST. ALBANS, VT; Owner: CHAMPLAIN COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WCEL (91.9 FM; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WGLY-FM (91.5 FM; BOLTON, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WCPV (101.3 FM; ESSEX, NY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMOO (92.1 FM; DERBY CENTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSTAR MEDIA, INC.)
- W243AE (96.5 FM; ORLEANS, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 27m89ftTotal length
- $1,582,000Total costs
- 10,170Total average daily traffic
- 693Total average daily truck traffic
- 14,238Total future (year 2015) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 15
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (68%)
- Wood (21%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (10%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Berkshire compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Berkshire on our top lists:
- #86 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Northern America (population 500+)"
- #86 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Canada (population 500+)"
- #17 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that keep firearms around their homes"
- #63 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that smoked 100+ cigarettes in their lives"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2019.