|Median resident age:||39.8 years|
|Texas median age:||32.3 years|
Zip code: 75644
Bettie CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $82,517 (it was $51,300 in 2000)
- White alone - 2,599 (79.4%)
- Black alone - 554 (16.9%)
- Hispanic - 77 (2.4%)
- Two or more races - 34 (1.0%)
- American Indian alone - 7 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 3 (0.09%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.03%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 141.4 square miles.
Population density: 25 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Bettie:
- High school or higher: 73.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bettie CCD:
- Never married: 18.5%
- Now married: 63.7%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 8.6%
- Divorced: 9.2%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Bettie CCD:||0.9% ($476)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Longview, TX (28.4 miles , pop. 73,344).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Shreveport, LA (77.0 miles , pop. 200,145).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (103.4 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Gilmer, TX (3.1 miles ), Leesburg-Newsome, TX (3.1 miles ), Pittsburg, TX (3.1 miles ), Rocky Mound, TX (3.5 miles) , Holly Lake Ranch, TX (3.9 miles ), Ore City, TX (4.2 miles ), Winnsboro, TX (4.2 miles ), Lone Star, TX (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 32.86 N, Longitude: 95.01 W
Area code: 903
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (18%)
- Metal and metal products (8%)
- Truck transportation (8%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Food (5%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Health care (16%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Food (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (13%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (3%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (7%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
Average climate in Bettie, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Bettie-area historical tornado activity is above Texas state average. It is 127% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/1/1988, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 12.9 miles away from the Bettie place center injured 9 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/30/1954, a category F3 tornado 17.3 miles away from the place center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Bettie-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 149.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 334.3 miles away from Bettie center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 226.6 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 228.8 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 329.5 miles away from Bettie center
On 1/18/1995 at 15:51:39, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 199.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Upshur County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 5, Floods: 4, Hurricanes: 4, Fires: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Bettie:
- LEISURE LODGE (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; GILMER, TX)
- REHABILITATION AND HEALTHC (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; GILMER, TX)
- BAYLOR CARE CENTER AT GILMER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; GILMER, TX)
- GILMER CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; GILMER, TX)
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER - GILMER Acute Care Hospitals (about 10 miles away; GILMER, TX)
- GILMER DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 10 miles away; GILMER, TX)
- EAST TEXAS MEDICAL CENTER HOME HEALTH NORTH (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; PITTSBURG, TX)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bettie:
- Northeast Texas Community College (about 19 miles; Mount Pleasant, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,320)
- LeTourneau University (about 32 miles; Longview, TX; FT enrollment: 2,357)
- Kilgore College (about 35 miles; Kilgore, TX; FT enrollment: 3,127)
- Tyler Junior College (about 40 miles; Tyler, TX; FT enrollment: 8,104)
- The University of Texas at Tyler (about 41 miles; Tyler, TX; FT enrollment: 5,774)
- Texas A & M University-Commerce (about 59 miles; Commerce, TX; FT enrollment: 8,890)
- Paris Junior College (about 63 miles; Paris, TX; FT enrollment: 3,875)
Notable locations in Bettie: Camp Gilmont (A), Gilmont Lookout (B), Smith Siding (C), Soules Chapel (D), Union Ridge Community Center (E), Lafayette Volunteer Fire Department (F), Ewell Volunteer Fire Department (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Bettie include: Saint Merner Church (A), Union Ridge Church (B), Valley Spring Church (C), Wallace Chapel (D), Willow Oak Church (E), Youngs Chapel (F), Zion Hill Church (G), Antioch Church (H), Concord Missionary Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Lone Mountain Cemetery (1), Zion Hill Cemetery (2), Grice Cemetery (3), Christian Hope Cemetery (4), Crossroad Cemetery (5), Pleasant Grove Cemetery (6), Simpsonville Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Grassy Lake (A), Lilly Lake (B), Russell Lake (C), Machen Lake (D), Ewell Lake (E), Elwood Club Lake (F), Bishop Lake (G), Harris Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Spratt Creek (A), Prairie Creek (B), Poor Creek (C), Olive Branch (D), Duffy Branch (E), Duke Branch (F), Enon Branch (G), Hadenfield Branch (H), Hamberlin Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Bettie compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (54%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (30%)
- Utility gas (11%)
- Wood (5%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Bettie CCD (based on Upshur County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 56.53%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Baptist Missionary Association of America||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Catholic Church|
|Name||LDS (Mormon) Church||Assemblies of God||American Baptist Association||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Upshur County:||0.79 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.26 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Upshur County:||0.79 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Upshur County:||4.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.70 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
9.01% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($37,774 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($252 average AGI)
Upshur County: 0.08% Texas average: 0.08%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Gregg County, TX||3.30% ($36,809 average AGI)|
|from Harrison County, TX||0.53% ($37,182)|
|from Smith County, TX||0.53% ($32,500)|
8.61% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,002 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Bettie:
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KWKH (1130 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KOFY (1060 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GILMER, TX; Owner: JERRY RUSSELL D/B/A THE RUSSELL COMPANY)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KEES (1430 AM; 5 kW; GLADEWATER, TX; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KTBB (600 AM; 5 kW; TYLER, TX; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KPYN (900 AM; 10 kW; ATLANTA, TX; Owner: FAMILY WORSHIP CENTER CHURCH, INC.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KSKY (660 AM; 20 kW; BALCH SPRINGS, TX; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KIMP (960 AM; 1 kW; MOUNT PLEASANT, TX; Owner: EAST TEXAS BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Bettie:
- KYKX (105.7 FM; LONGVIEW, TX; Owner: WALLER MEDIA, LLC)
- KDVE (103.1 FM; PITTSBURG, TX; Owner: ON-AIR FAMILY, LLC)
- KFRO-FM (95.3 FM; GILMER, TX; Owner: WALLER MEDIA, LLC)
- KSCN (96.9 FM; PITTSBURG, TX; Owner: EAST TEXAS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KVNE (89.5 FM; TYLER, TX; Owner: EDUC. RADIO FOUND. OF E. TEXAS, INC.)
- KWNS (104.7 FM; WINNSBORO, TX; Owner: RICHARD E. FOSTER)
- KTAA (90.7 FM; BIG SANDY, TX; Owner: INSTITUTE IN BASIC LIFE PRINCIPLES, INC.)
- KAZE (106.9 FM; ORE CITY, TX; Owner: REYNOLDS RADIO, INC.)
- KNUE (101.5 FM; TYLER, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KIXK (99.3 FM; WHITE OAK, TX; Owner: REYNOLDS RADIO, INC.)
- KALK (97.7 FM; WINFIELD, TX; Owner: EAST TEXAS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKTX-FM (96.1 FM; KILGORE, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Bettie:
- KLTV (Channel 7; TYLER, TX; Owner: CIVCO, INC.)
- KFXK (Channel 51; LONGVIEW, TX; Owner: WARWICK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KTAL-TV (Channel 6; TEXARKANA, TX; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF LOUISIANA, LLC)
- KLPN-LP (Channel 58; LONGVIEW, TX; Owner: WARWICK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- K54CB (Channel 54; MOUNT PLEASANT, TX; Owner: F. V. P. NETWORK, INC)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- Hwy 271 3 Mi N Of (Lat: 32.837611 Lon: -94.951861), Structure height: 4.3 m, Overall height: 10.4 m, Call Sign: WPJA539
Assigned Frequencies: 952.081 MHz, 928.081 MHz
Grant Date: 08/11/2000, Expiration Date: 09/07/2010, Cancellation Date: 11/13/2010
Registrant: Phone: (512) 908-4300