Big Flats, Wisconsin
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||52.5 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54613.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,216 (it was $14,629 in 2000)
Big Flats town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $106,090 (it was $62,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $149,594; Detached houses: $170,438; Townhouses or other attached units: $156,860; In 2-unit structures: $117,000; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $174,621; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $135,936; Mobile homes: $58,043; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $15,548
Races in Big Flats, WI (2010)
- 96394.6%White alone
- 111.1%Two or more races
- 60.6%Black alone
- 60.6%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Are people living outside the metro areas cushioned against falling home prices? Jan 21
- The global threat of Islamic terror Jan 19
- Exercise and sleep: which is more important for your health? Jan 17
- Motorcycle industry in the United States Jan 15
- Evolution of First Names: Unisex Names and Nicknames Jan 13
Latest news from Big Flats, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (43.9%), Irish (10.6%), Polish (9.7%), English (9.3%), Norwegian (6.4%), French (4.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1000 feet
Land area: 48.1 square miles.
Population density: 21 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Big Flats:
- High school or higher: 71.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.8%
- Unemployed: 13.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Big Flats town:
- Never married: 17.6%
- Now married: 59.2%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 11.9%
18 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Big Flats town:||1.4% ($896)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Oshkosh, WI (62.3 miles , pop. 62,916).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (74.2 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (189.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Preston, WI (2.5 miles ), Lake Sherwood, WI (2.6 miles ), Lake Arrowhead, WI (2.7 miles ), Arkdale, WI (2.7 miles) , Lake Camelot, WI (2.8 miles ), Strongs Prairie, WI (3.0 miles ), Friendship, WI (3.1 miles ), Leola, WI (3.2 miles ).
Latitude: 44.11 N, Longitude: 89.80 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Paper (16%)
- Construction (15%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (6%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Repair and maintenance (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Health care (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (10%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Paper (6%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (12%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (10%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (3%)
- Cashiers (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
Average climate in Big Flats, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Big Flats-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Wisconsin state average. It is 41% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/19/1957, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 14.6 miles away from the Big Flats town center killed one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 9/26/1951, a category F4 tornado 29.1 miles away from the town center killed 6 people and injured 3 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Big Flats-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Wisconsin state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 188.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 403.6 miles away from Big Flats center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 378.8 miles away from the city center
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB) earthquake occurred 324.3 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1999 at 16:17:29, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 166.1 miles away from Big Flats center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 402.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Adams County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Tornadoes: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Big Flats:
- Mid-State Technical College (about 20 miles; Wisconsin Rapids, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,128)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (about 32 miles; Stevens Point, WI; FT enrollment: 9,089)
- Northcentral Technical College (about 62 miles; Wausau, WI; FT enrollment: 3,356)
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh (about 63 miles; Oshkosh, WI; FT enrollment: 10,637)
- Fox Valley Technical College (about 68 miles; Appleton, WI; FT enrollment: 5,682)
- Lawrence University (about 71 miles; Appleton, WI; FT enrollment: 2,821)
- Herzing University-Madison (about 72 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 3,160)
Notable location: Big Flats Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Big Flats: Zion Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Niebull Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Creek: Dry Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2002 was 55.8. This is better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2001 was 3.05. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 13.4 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 10.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 19.1 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Big Flats town (based on Adams County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Adams County:||0.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Adams County:||0.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Adams County:||3.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
6.28% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($37,040 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Sauk County, WI||0.60% ($27,711 average AGI)|
|from Wood County, WI||0.49% ($21,946)|
|from Columbia County, WI||0.44% ($43,152)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,790 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Big Flats:
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WFHR (1320 AM; 5 kW; WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI; Owner: WISCONSIN RAPIDS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WHBY (1150 AM; 25 kW; KIMBERLY, WI; Owner: WOODWARD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WLBL (930 AM; 5 kW; AUBURNDALE, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WDUX (800 AM; 5 kW; WAUPACA, WI; Owner: LAIRD BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WISN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRIG (1390 AM; 10 kW; SCHOFIELD, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Big Flats:
- WMMA (93.9 FM; NEKOOSA, WI; Owner: STARBOARD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGLX-FM (103.3 FM; WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI; Owner: WISCONSIN RAPIDS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WDKM (106.1 FM; ADAMS, WI; Owner: ROCHE-A-CRI BROADCASTING)
- WIZD (99.9 FM; RUDOLPH, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC)
- WVCX (98.9 FM; TOMAH, WI; Owner: VCY AMERICA, INC.)
- WOLX-FM (94.9 FM; BARABOO, WI; Owner: ENTERCOM MADISON LICENSE, LLC.)
- WLJY (106.5 FM; MARSHFIELD, WI; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
- WRJC-FM (92.1 FM; MAUSTON, WI; Owner: WRJC, INCORPORATED)
- WYTE (96.7 FM; WHITING, WI; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Big Flats:
- W64AU (Channel 64; ADAMS, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WDLS-LP (Channel 35; TOMAH, WI; Owner: MAGNUM RADIO, INC.)
- W24BV (Channel 24; WHITING, WI; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W60CI (Channel 60; WHITING, WI; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W16AY (Channel 16; WHITING, WI; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W18CS (Channel 18; WHITING, WI; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W40BC (Channel 40; WHITING, WI; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W62DA (Channel 62; WHITING, WI; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 6Number of bridges
- 6m20ftTotal length
- 560Total average daily traffic
- 560Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (72%)
- Wood (15%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (7%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Utility gas (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Big Flats compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.