We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||35.8 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54442.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $16,649 (it was $11,074 in 2000)
Birch town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $127,450 (it was $82,000 in 2000)
Races in Birch, WI (2010)
- 45977.3%White alone
- 7713.0%Black alone
- 203.4%Two or more races
- 50.8%American Indian alone
- 30.5%Asian alone
- 20.3%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
- A few numbers about alcohol consumption Aug 11
- High-paid finance jobs are moving outside of large cities Aug 9
|Fond du Lac (104 replies)|
|Is Wisconsin conservative? (62 replies)|
|What is with all the racial concerns, when moving to WI?? Can someone plz give me examples of life in these cities.. (82 replies)|
|Commute/relocation question... (5 replies)|
|Visiting Tomahawk (4 replies)|
|Images of Wisconsin (1632 replies)|
Latest news from Birch, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (40.3%), Polish (6.7%), Swedish (4.9%), Irish (4.5%), Norwegian (4.1%), Danish (2.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 860 feet
Land area: 35.8 square miles.
Population density: 17 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Birch:
- High school or higher: 74.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Birch town:
- Never married: 10.6%
- Now married: 78.3%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 3.6%
- Divorced: 5.2%
4 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Birch town:||1.3% ($1,045)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Appleton, WI (95.9 miles , pop. 70,087).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (157.4 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (261.3 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Skanawan, WI (2.2 miles ), Rock Falls, WI (2.3 miles ), Schley, WI (2.8 miles ), Tomahawk, WI (3.2 miles ), King, WI (3.3 miles ), Bradley, WI (3.4 miles ), Merrill, WI (3.4 miles ), Harding, WI (3.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $225,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $150,000
Latitude: 45.34 N, Longitude: 89.63 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 715
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (20%)
- Wood products (15%)
- Paper (8%)
- Metal and metal products (4%)
- Transportation equipment (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Health care (12%)
- Metal and metal products (9%)
- Wood products (7%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Leather and allied products (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (15%)
- Carpenters (10%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (7%)
- Electricians (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (12%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (10%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (6%)
- Legal support workers (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in Birch, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Birch-area historical tornado activity is below Wisconsin state average. It is 24% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/25/1950, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 16.5 miles away from the Birch town center killed 2 people and injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/4/1958, a category F4 tornado 37.5 miles away from the town center killed 4 people and injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Birch-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 97% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 311.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 271.2 miles away from Birch center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 323.7 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1999 at 16:17:29, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 250.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 497.4 miles away from Birch center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 425.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lincoln County (7) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Birch:
- GOLDEN LIVINGCENTER-GOLDEN AGE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; TOMAHAWK, WI)
- SACRED HEART HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 11 miles away; TOMAHAWK, WI)
- GOLDEN LIVINGCENTER-RIVERVIEW (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; TOMAHAWK, WI)
- DAVITA - PRAIRIE RIVER DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; MERRILL, WI)
- GOOD SAMARITAN HLTH CTR Critical Access Hospitals (about 12 miles away; MERRILL, WI)
- SACRED HEART HSPTL Critical Access Hospitals (about 12 miles away; TOMAHAWK, WI)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Birch:
- Northcentral Technical College (about 25 miles; Wausau, WI; Full-time enrollment: 3,356)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (about 57 miles; Stevens Point, WI; FT enrollment: 9,089)
- Mid-State Technical College (about 67 miles; Wisconsin Rapids, WI; FT enrollment: 2,128)
- Fox Valley Technical College (about 94 miles; Appleton, WI; FT enrollment: 5,682)
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (about 94 miles; Green Bay, WI; FT enrollment: 6,069)
- Lawrence University (about 97 miles; Appleton, WI; FT enrollment: 2,821)
- Saint Norbert College (about 99 miles; De Pere, WI; FT enrollment: 2,324)
Notable location: Lincoln Hills School Correctional Institute (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Birch include: Bethany Church (A), Chat Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Allen Lake (A), Thompson Lake (B), Copper Lake (C), Henson Lake (D), Horgen Lake (E), Horn Lake (F), Horseshoe Lake (G), Larson Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Birch include: Kings Springs State Public Fishery Area (1), Pays Springs State Public Fishery Area (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2011 was 63.8. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2011 was 31.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.1 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 1.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
326 people in training schools for juvenile delinquents in 2000
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Birch town (based on Lincoln County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lincoln County:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lincoln County:||8.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
3.99% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,133 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Marathon County, WI||1.27% ($34,033 average AGI)|
|from Oneida County, WI||0.30% ($31,444)|
|from Dane County, WI||0.13% ($43,133)|
4.90% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,393 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Birch:
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WJMT (730 AM; 1 kW; MERRILL, WI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJJQ (810 AM; daytime; 1 kW; TOMAHAWK, WI; Owner: GREGORY A & MARGARUITE S ALBERT)
- WRIG (1390 AM; 10 kW; SCHOFIELD, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WLKD (1570 AM; 5 kW; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: RAVEN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHBY (1150 AM; 25 kW; KIMBERLY, WI; Owner: WOODWARD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WLBL (930 AM; 5 kW; AUBURNDALE, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Birch:
- WYCO (107.9 FM; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: SEEHAFER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRLO-FM (105.3 FM; ANTIGO, WI; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
- WMZK (104.1 FM; MERRILL, WI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WHDG (97.5 FM; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: RAVEN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHRM (90.9 FM; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WIFC (95.5 FM; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WDEZ (101.9 FM; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: W R I G, INC.)
- WJJQ-FM (92.5 FM; TOMAHAWK, WI; Owner: GREGORY A & MARGARUITE S ALBERT)
- WLBL-FM (91.9 FM; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WXPW (91.9 FM; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WHITE PINE COMMUNITY BROADCASTING, INC)
- WCLQ (89.5 FM; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: CHRISTIAN LIFE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WOFM (94.7 FM; MOSINEE, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WRHN (100.1 FM; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Birch:
- WYOW (Channel 34; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: WAOW-WYOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- WJFW-TV (Channel 12; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: NORTHLAND TELEVISION, INC.)
- WFXS (Channel 55; WITTENBERG, WI; Owner: DAVIS TELEVISION WAUSAU, LLC)
- WTPX (Channel 46; ANTIGO, WI; Owner: PAXSON WAUSAU LICENSE, INC.)
- WAOW-TV (Channel 9; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WAOW-WYOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- WSAW-TV (Channel 7; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WLEF-TV (Channel 36; PARK FALLS, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WHRM-TV (Channel 20; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- W31CI (Channel 31; WHITING, WI; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 0mTotal length
- 1Total average daily traffic
- 1Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (57%)
- Wood (25%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (15%)
- Electricity (3%)
Birch compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.