Bird City, Kansas
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||39.7 years|
|Kansas median age:||36.2 years|
Zip codes: 67731.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $20,480 (it was $16,680 in 2000)
Bird City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $65,145 (it was $40,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $110,757; Detached houses: $109,539; Mobile homes: $110,607
Median gross rent in 2015: $675.
Races in Bird City, KS (2010)
- 37283.2%White alone
- 61.3%Two or more races
- 20.4%American Indian alone
|Rural Kansas Decline (63 replies)|
|Bird City, KS (7 replies)|
|Antique steam tractor show... (4 replies)|
|MOST rural, isolated W. Kansas town with high school? (14 replies)|
|Whats your favorite mom & pop place to eat? (67 replies)|
|Best place for inexpensive rural living (11 replies)|
Latest news from Bird City, KS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (21.3%), Irish (7.5%), American (7.1%), Czech (6.3%), English (5.8%), Swedish (3.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 3460 feet
Land area: 2.23 square miles.
Population density: 197 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Bird City:
- High school or higher: 86.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bird City city:
- Never married: 25.0%
- Now married: 59.2%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 7.6%
23 residents are foreign born (4.0% Latin America).
According to our research of Kansas and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Bird City, Kansas as of September 21, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Bird City to the number of sex offenders is 438 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $841 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $1,002 (1.5%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Aurora, CO (174.2 miles , pop. 276,393).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (548.6 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: McDonald, KS (3.0 miles) , St. Francis, KS (3.8 miles ), Benkelman, NE (4.6 miles ), Parks, NE (4.7 miles) , Max, NE (5.1 miles) , Atwood, KS (5.1 miles ), Haigler, NE (5.3 miles ), Brewster, KS (5.3 miles ).
Latitude: 39.75 N, Longitude: 101.53 W
Area code: 785
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (35%)
- Construction (20%)
- Wholesale trade (16%)
- Transportation and warehousing (11%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Educational services (3%)
- Other services, except public administration (3%)
- Educational services (23%)
- Health care and social assistance (21%)
- Retail trade (19%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Other services, except public administration (10%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (25%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (23%)
- Management occupations (15%)
- Sales and related occupations (14%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (5%)
- Production occupations (5%)
- Transportation occupations (4%)
- Sales and related occupations (20%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (14%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Personal care and service occupations (9%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (7%)
Average climate in Bird City, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Bird City-area historical tornado activity is below Kansas state average. It is 12% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/15/1990, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.9 miles away from the Bird City city center injured one person and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/20/1951, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.4 miles away from the city center .
Earthquake activity:Bird City-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above Kansas state average. It is 24% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 278.7 miles away from the city center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 262.9 miles away from Bird City center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 229.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 260.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 245.8 miles away from Bird City center
On 12/25/1994 at 19:06:07, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 177.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Cheyenne County (8) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 4, Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 2, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Bird City:
- QUALITY CARE PLUS LLC (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; ST FRANCIS, KS)
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOME HEALTH CARE (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; ST FRANCIS, KS)
- GOOD SAMARITAN SOCIETY - ST FRANCIS (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; ST FRANCIS, KS)
- CHEYENNE COUNTY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 15 miles away; ST FRANCIS, KS)
airports located in Bird City:
- Bressler Field Airport (5K0) (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 100, Local Ops: 1,500)
- Bursch Private Airport (4KS8) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bird City:
- Fort Hays State University (about 133 miles; Hays, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,728)
- University of Nebraska at Kearney (about 145 miles; Kearney, NE; FT enrollment: 6,047)
- University of Northern Colorado (about 174 miles; Greeley, CO; FT enrollment: 11,469)
- Community College of Aurora (about 174 miles; Aurora, CO; FT enrollment: 4,730)
- Aims Community College (about 177 miles; Greeley, CO; FT enrollment: 3,598)
- Barton County Community College (about 177 miles; Great Bend, KS; FT enrollment: 4,108)
- Jones International University (about 179 miles; Centennial, CO; FT enrollment: 2,556)
Public high school in Bird City:
- CHEYLIN JR/SR HIGH (Students: 62, Location: 605 BIRD AVE., Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Bird City:
Notable locations in Bird City: Bird City Wastewater Plant (A), Frontier Agricultural Grain Elevator Number 2 (B), Cheyenne County Sheriff Department Substation - Bird City (C), Cheyenne County Emergency Medical Services Bird City Station (D), Bird City Public Library (E), Bird City Town Hall (F), Bird City Volunteer Fire Department (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Bird City include: Saint Joseph Catholic Church (A), Immanuel United Methodist Church (B), Living Water Fellowship Ministries (C), Saint John Lutheran Church (D), Wesleyan Community Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
(19.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 29.5% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 41.4% for other race residents, 49.9% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Banks with branches in Bird City (2011 data):
- First National Bank: Bird City Branch at 210 Bird Avenue, branch established on 1929/11/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $257.3 mil, Deposits: $228.3 mil, headquarters in Goodland, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 8 total offices, Holding Company: First National Bancshares, Inc., Esop And 401 (K) Trusts
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Bird City city (based on Cheyenne County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Cheyenne County:||10.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cheyenne County:||3.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||14.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Bird City, KS Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$125|
|Streets and Highways||1||$1,840||$22,080||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||2||$5,238||$31,428||3||$2,784|
Bird City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $72,000 ($164.01)
Sewerage: $31,000 ($70.62)
Regular Highways: $17,000 ($38.72)
General - Other: $16,000 ($36.45)
Libraries: $5,000 ($11.39)
Solid Waste Management: $4,000 ($9.11)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($4.56)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $16,000 ($36.45)
Bird City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $39,000 ($88.84)
All Other: $6,000 ($13.67)
Solid Waste Management: $5,000 ($11.39)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $19,000 ($43.28)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $91,000 ($207.29)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $14,000 ($31.89)
General Support: $10,000 ($22.78)
- Tax - Property: $84,000 ($191.34)
Public Utilities: $24,000 ($54.67)
Total General Sales: $24,000 ($54.67)
NEC: $1,000 ($2.28)
Bird City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $399,000 ($908.88)
5.08% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,764 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
6.38% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,757 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Strongest AM radio stations in Bird City:
- KXXX (790 AM; 5 kW; COLBY, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KRDZ (1440 AM; 5 kW; WRAY, CO; Owner: MEDIA LOGIC, LLC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KSIR (1010 AM; 25 kW; BRUSH, CO; Owner: JMS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KIMB (1260 AM; 50 kW; KIMBALL, NE; Owner: G & L INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KLOE (730 AM; 1 kW; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: MELIA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KBRL (1300 AM; 5 kW; MCCOOK, NE; Owner: MCCOOK RADIO GROUP, LLC)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KLMO (1060 AM; 30 kW; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Bird City:
- KKCI (102.5 FM; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: MELIA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KWGB (97.9 FM; COLBY, KS; Owner: MELIA COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- KGCR (107.7 FM; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: THE PRAISE NETWORK, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Bird City:
- KBSL-TV (Channel 10; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SO. CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- K23BU (Channel 23; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: SMOKY HILLS PUBLIC TELEVISION)
- W47AC (Channel 47; BIG PINE KEY, FL; Owner: CAYO HUESO NETWORKS, LLC)
- KLBY (Channel 4; COLBY, KS; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- K33FO (Channel 33; BENKELMAN, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
Bird City fatal accident list:
Drinking water stations with addresses in Bird City and their reported violations in the past:BIRD CITY, CITY OF (Population served: 438, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In NOV-2010, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Compliance Meeting conducted (NOV-18-2010), St Public Notif requested (NOV-19-2010), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-19-2010), St Public Notif received (DEC-23-2010), St Compliance achieved (DEC-31-2010)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-29-2009), St Violation/Reminder Notice (SEP-29-2009), St Compliance Meeting conducted (OCT-02-2009), St Compliance achieved (OCT-31-2009), St Public Notif received (NOV-12-2009)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 13
|Most common first names in Bird City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Bird City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (79%)
- Electricity (15%)
- Wood (3%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Bird City compared to Kansas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.