|Median resident age:||47.4 years|
|Kansas median age:||32.8 years|
Zip codes: 67731.
Bird City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $64,233 (it was $40,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $330.
- White alone - 372 (83.2%)
- Hispanic - 67 (15.0%)
- Two or more races - 6 (1.3%)
- American Indian alone - 2 (0.4%)
|Rural Kansas Decline (63 replies)|
|Bird City, KS (7 replies)|
|Antique steam tractor show... (4 replies)|
|MOST rural, isolated W. Kansas town with high school? (14 replies)|
|Whats your favorite mom & pop place to eat? (67 replies)|
|Best place for inexpensive rural living (11 replies)|
Latest news from Bird City, KS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (33.8%), Irish (16.4%), English (16.1%), Swedish (4.5%), Scotch-Irish (3.2%), Norwegian (2.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 3460 feet
Land area: 2.23 square miles.
Population density: 198 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Bird City:
- High school or higher: 86.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bird City city:
- Never married: 12.5%
- Now married: 66.7%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 11.5%
- Divorced: 9.3%
18 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $671 (1.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $700 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Aurora, CO (174.2 miles , pop. 276,393).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (548.6 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: McDonald, KS (3.0 miles) , St. Francis, KS (3.8 miles ), Benkelman, NE (4.6 miles ), Parks, NE (4.7 miles) , Max, NE (5.1 miles) , Atwood, KS (5.1 miles ), Haigler, NE (5.3 miles ), Brewster, KS (5.3 miles ).
Latitude: 39.75 N, Longitude: 101.53 W
Area code: 785
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (26%)
- Construction (16%)
- Transportation and warehousing (15%)
- Utilities (15%)
- Wholesale trade (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Retail trade (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Other services, except public administration (22%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (17%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (20%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (10%)
- Farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (7%)
- Registered nurses (11%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (11%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (9%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
Average climate in Bird City, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Bird City-area historical tornado activity is below Kansas state average. It is 12% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/15/1990, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 31.9 miles away from the Bird City city center injured one person and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/20/1951, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.4 miles away from the city center .
Earthquake activity:Bird City-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above Kansas state average. It is 24% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/18/1984 at 15:30:23, a magnitude 5.5 (5.4 MB, 5.1 MS, 5.5 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 278.7 miles away from the city center
On 8/10/2005 at 22:08:22, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 262.9 miles away from Bird City center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 229.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/3/2007 at 14:34:38, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.4 MW, 4.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 260.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/5/2001 at 10:52:07, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 245.8 miles away from Bird City center
On 12/25/1994 at 19:06:07, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 177.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Cheyenne County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 4, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Bird City:
- QUALITY CARE PLUS LLC (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; ST FRANCIS, KS)
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOME HEALTH CARE (Home Health Center, about 15 miles away; ST FRANCIS, KS)
- GOOD SAMARITAN SOCIETY - ST FRANCIS (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; ST FRANCIS, KS)
- CHEYENNE COUNTY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 15 miles away; ST FRANCIS, KS)
Airports located in Bird City:
- Bressler Field Airport (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 100, Local Ops: 1,500)
- Bursch Private Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bird City:
- Fort Hays State University (about 133 miles; Hays, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,728)
- University of Nebraska at Kearney (about 145 miles; Kearney, NE; FT enrollment: 6,047)
- University of Northern Colorado (about 174 miles; Greeley, CO; FT enrollment: 11,469)
- Community College of Aurora (about 174 miles; Aurora, CO; FT enrollment: 4,730)
- Aims Community College (about 177 miles; Greeley, CO; FT enrollment: 3,598)
- Barton County Community College (about 177 miles; Great Bend, KS; FT enrollment: 4,108)
- Jones International University (about 179 miles; Centennial, CO; FT enrollment: 2,556)
Public high school in Bird City:
- Cheylin West Junior/Senior High School (Students: 83; Location: 605 BIRD AVE.; Grades: 7-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Bird City:
- Cheylin West Elementary School (Students: 62; Location: 121 E.SIXTH; Grades: K-6)
Notable locations in Bird City: Bird City Wastewater Plant (A), Frontier Agricultural Grain Elevator Number 2 (B), Cheyenne County Sheriff Department Substation - Bird City (C), Cheyenne County Emergency Medical Services Bird City Station (D), Bird City Public Library (E), Bird City Town Hall (F), Bird City Volunteer Fire Department (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Bird City include: Saint Joseph Catholic Church (A), Immanuel United Methodist Church (B), Living Water Fellowship Ministries (C), Saint John Lutheran Church (D), Wesleyan Community Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Bird City and their reported violations in the past:BIRD CITY, CITY OF (Population served: 438, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In NOV-2010, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Compliance Meeting conducted (NOV-18-2010), St Public Notif requested (NOV-19-2010), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-19-2010), St Public Notif received (DEC-23-2010), St Compliance achieved (DEC-31-2010)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2009, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-29-2009), St Violation/Reminder Notice (SEP-29-2009), St Compliance Meeting conducted (OCT-02-2009), St Compliance achieved (OCT-31-2009), St Public Notif received (NOV-12-2009)
(13.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 21.9% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Bird City compared to Kansas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
Banks with branches in Bird City (2011 data):
- First National Bank: Bird City Branch at 210 Bird Avenue, branch established on 1929/11/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $257.3 mil, Deposits: $228.3 mil, headquarters in Goodland, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 8 total offices, Holding Company: First National Bancshares, Inc., Esop And 401 (K) Trusts
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (75%)
- Electricity (18%)
- No fuel used (4%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Bird City city (based on Cheyenne County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 67.90%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Catholic Church||The Wesleyan Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Cheyenne County:||10.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|Cheyenne County:||3.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||14.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$125|
|Streets and Highways||1||$1,840||$22,080||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||2||$5,238||$31,428||3||$2,784|
Bird City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $72,000 ($163.27)
Sewerage: $31,000 ($70.29)
Regular Highways: $17,000 ($38.55)
General - Other: $16,000 ($36.28)
Libraries: $5,000 ($11.34)
Solid Waste Management: $4,000 ($9.07)
Parks & Recreation: $2,000 ($4.54)
- General - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $16,000 ($36.28)
Bird City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $39,000 ($88.44)
All Other: $6,000 ($13.61)
Solid Waste Management: $5,000 ($11.34)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $19,000 ($43.08)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $91,000 ($206.35)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $14,000 ($31.75)
General Support: $10,000 ($22.68)
- Tax - Property: $84,000 ($190.48)
Public Utilities: $24,000 ($54.42)
Total General Sales: $24,000 ($54.42)
NEC: $1,000 ($2.27)
Bird City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $399,000 ($904.76)
5.08% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,764 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
6.38% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,757 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Strongest AM radio stations in Bird City:
- KXXX (790 AM; 5 kW; COLBY, KS; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KRDZ (1440 AM; 5 kW; WRAY, CO; Owner: MEDIA LOGIC, LLC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KSIR (1010 AM; 25 kW; BRUSH, CO; Owner: JMS BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KIMB (1260 AM; 50 kW; KIMBALL, NE; Owner: G & L INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KLOE (730 AM; 1 kW; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: MELIA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KBRL (1300 AM; 5 kW; MCCOOK, NE; Owner: MCCOOK RADIO GROUP, LLC)
- KGYN (1210 AM; 50 kW; GUYMON, OK; Owner: TELNS BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KLMO (1060 AM; 30 kW; LONGMONT, CO; Owner: PILGRIM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Bird City:
- KKCI (102.5 FM; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: MELIA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KWGB (97.9 FM; COLBY, KS; Owner: MELIA COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- KGCR (107.7 FM; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: THE PRAISE NETWORK, INC)
TV broadcast stations around Bird City:
- KBSL-TV (Channel 10; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SO. CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- K23BU (Channel 23; GOODLAND, KS; Owner: SMOKY HILLS PUBLIC TELEVISION)
- W47AC (Channel 47; BIG PINE KEY, FL; Owner: CAYO HUESO NETWORKS, LLC)
- KLBY (Channel 4; COLBY, KS; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- K33FO (Channel 33; BENKELMAN, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
Bird City fatal accident list:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 13
|Most common first names in Bird City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Bird City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Bird City on our top lists:
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Farm supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Warehousing and storage"
- #17 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: U. S. Postal service"
- #78 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Retail sales workers except cashiers"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of workers with very short commute times (9 minutes or less)"