|Median resident age:||26.8 years|
|Montana median age:||37.5 years|
Zip code: 59417
Blackfeet CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $83,842 (it was $61,300 in 2000)
- American Indian alone - 7,610 (82.6%)
- White alone - 1,270 (13.8%)
- Two or more races - 186 (2.0%)
- Hispanic - 129 (1.4%)
- Black alone - 7 (0.08%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 3 (0.03%)
- Other race alone - 3 (0.03%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.01%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Land area: 2121.8 square miles.
Population density: 4.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Blackfeet:
- High school or higher: 74.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 13.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.4%
- Unemployed: 21.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Blackfeet CCD:
- Never married: 35.5%
- Now married: 51.4%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 8.5%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Blackfeet CCD:||0.9% ($582)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Great Falls, MT (107.0 miles , pop. 56,690).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: East Seattle, WA (432.1 miles , pop. 480,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (1042.3 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: North Browning, MT (2.2 miles ), Browning, MT (2.3 miles ), South Browning, MT (2.3 miles ), Starr School, MT (3.1 miles ), East Glacier Park Village, MT (4.2 miles ), Heart Butte, MT (4.7 miles ), Little Browning, MT (5.1 miles ), Cut Bank, MT (5.2 miles ).
Latitude: 48.60 N, Longitude: 112.92 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 406
Unemployment by year (%)
- Public administration (22%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (19%)
- Construction (11%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Health care (7%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Public administration (20%)
- Health care (16%)
- Social assistance (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (3%)
- Farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Other protective service workers including supervisors (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (10%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (5%)
Average climate in Blackfeet, Montana
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Blackfeet-area historical earthquake activity is near Montana state average. It is 42% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 299.0 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 315.6 miles away from Blackfeet center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 4/13/1949 at 19:55:42, a magnitude 7.0 (7.0 UK) earthquake occurred 453.4 miles away from the city center, causing $80,000,000 total damage
On 6/30/1975 at 18:54:13, a magnitude 6.1 (5.6 MB, 5.9 MS, 6.1 UK, 6.1 ML, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 290.7 miles away from the city center
On 7/26/2005 at 04:08:37, a magnitude 5.7 (5.7 MB, 5.2 MS, 5.6 MW, Depth: 8.0 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 222.1 miles away from Blackfeet center
On 2/28/2001 at 18:54:32, a magnitude 6.8 (6.5 MB, 6.6 MS, 6.8 MW, Depth: 32.2 mi) earthquake occurred 460.1 miles away from the city center, causing $2,000,000,000 total damage and $305,000,000 insured losses
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Glacier County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 5
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 3, Landslides: 2, Drought: 1, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Amtrak stations near Blackfeet:
- 7 miles: BROWNING (HEART BUTTE RD. S.) - Seasonal Station . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms.
- 18 miles: EAST GLACIER PARK (400 HWY 49 N.) - Seasonal Station . Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, full-service food facilities, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Blackfeet:
- The University of Montana (about 130 miles; Missoula, MT; Full-time enrollment: 13,602)
- North Idaho College (about 191 miles; Coeur d'Alene, ID; FT enrollment: 4,684)
- Spokane Community College (about 215 miles; Spokane, WA; FT enrollment: 6,482)
- Whitworth University (about 216 miles; Spokane, WA; FT enrollment: 2,689)
- Gonzaga University (about 217 miles; Spokane, WA; FT enrollment: 6,780)
- Spokane Falls Community College (about 220 miles; Spokane, WA; FT enrollment: 6,052)
- Montana State University (about 222 miles; Bozeman, MT; FT enrollment: 12,942)
Notable locations in Blackfeet: Magee Ranch (A), Blackfeet Agency (B), Bison Creek Ranch (C), Browning Station (D), Camp Nine (E), Chewing Blackbones Campground (F), Port of Del Bonita (G), Johnsons Campground (H), Aspenwood Camp (I), Cut Bank Golf and Country Club (J), Glacier Park Lodge Golf Course (K), Chief Mountain Junction (L), Saint Mary Triple Divide Campground (M), Two Sisters Campground (N), Leanin Tree Campground (O), Sleeping Wolf Campground (P), Duck Lake Campground (Q), Shady Grove Campground (R), Red Eagle-Two Medicine Campground (S), Smileys RV Park (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Blackfeet include: Holy Family Mission (A), Sommer Haven Christian Church (B), Sacred Heart Mission (C), Starr Baptist Church (D), Chapel of the Ascension (E), Saint Mary Mission (F), Little Flower Parish (G), Browning United Methodist Church (H), Blackfeet United Methodist Parish (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: East Glacier Park Cemetery (1), Four Horns Cemetery (2), Willow Creek Cemetery (3), Holy Family Mission Cemetery (4), Schildt Cemetery (5), Afterbuffalo Cemetery (6), Birdrattler Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Lower Two Medicine Lake (A), Josephine Lake (B), Pike Lake (C), Kipp Lake (D), Sharp Lake (E), Spider Lake (F), Big Spring Lake (G), Carlow Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Rivers and creeks: Badger Creek (A), Coon Creek (B), Arnoux Creek (C), Freeze Out Creek (D), Cow Creek (E), Boulder Creek (F), Boundary Creek (G), South Fork Two Medicine River (H), Depot Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Blackfeet include: Blackfeet Nation Historical Marker (1), Camp Disappointment Historical Marker (2), Malmstrom Air Force Base Recreation Area (3), Old Agency 1880-1894 Historical Marker (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2007 was 27.3. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2007 was 19.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 5.1 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||3.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
People in group quarters in Blackfeet in 2010:
- 315 people in other noninstitutional facilities
- 84 people in workers' group living quarters and job corps centers
- 37 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 26 people in emergency and transitional shelters (with sleeping facilities) for people experiencing homelessness
- 22 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 8 people in residential treatment centers for adults
People in group quarters in Blackfeet in 2000:
- 45 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 39 people in nursing homes
- 30 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 10 people in hospitals/wards and hospices for chronically ill
- 10 people in other hospitals or wards for chronically ill
- 8 people in schools, hospitals, or wards for the mentally retarded
- 8 people in other group homes
Blackfeet compared to Montana state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (43%)
- Electricity (27%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (14%)
- Wood (14%)
- Other fuel (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Blackfeet CCD (based on Glacier County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 72.39%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Hutterian Brethren||Assemblies of God||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Glacier County:||3.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Montana:||2.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Glacier County:||1.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|Montana:||0.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|Glacier County:||4.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||10.38 / 10,000 pop.|
5.60% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,111 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Toole County, MT||0.87% ($16,308 average AGI)|
|from Cascade County, MT||0.51% ($18,217)|
|from Missoula County, MT||0.40% ($18,278)|
5.67% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,835 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Blackfeet:
- KOFI (1180 AM; 50 kW; KALISPELL, MT; Owner: KOFI, INC.)
- KERR (750 AM; 50 kW; POLSON, MT; Owner: ANDERSON RADIO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSEN (1150 AM; 10 kW; SHELBY, MT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KJJR (880 AM; 10 kW; WHITEFISH, MT; Owner: BEE BROADCASTING, INCORPORATED)
- KGEZ (600 AM; 5 kW; KALISPELL, MT; Owner: SKYLINE BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- KGA (1510 AM; 50 kW; SPOKANE, WA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KMON (560 AM; 5 kW; GREAT FALLS, MT; Owner: COMMONWEALTH LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- KTBI (810 AM; daytime; 50 kW; EPHRATA, WA; Owner: TACOMA BROADCASTERS, INCORPORATED)
- KBOI (670 AM; 50 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KXLY (920 AM; 20 kW; SPOKANE, WA; Owner: SPOKANE RADIO, INC.)
- KQQQ (1150 AM; 25 kW; PULLMAN, WA; Owner: RADIO PALOUSE, INC.)
- KEIN (1310 AM; 5 kW; GREAT FALLS, MT; Owner: MUNSON RADIO, INC.)
- KIRO (710 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM SEATTLE LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Blackfeet:
- KBBZ (98.5 FM; KALISPELL, MT; Owner: BEE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKMT (95.9 FM; COLUMBIA FALLS, MT; Owner: BEE BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Blackfeet:
- K57FM (Channel 57; BROWNING, MT; Owner: BROWNING PUBLIC SCHOOL)
Blackfeet on our top lists:
- #46 on the list of "Top 100 cities with largest land areas"
- #36 (59417) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of residents speaking other language at home (pop 5,000+)"
- #57 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #69 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2003"