|Median resident age:||40.1 years|
|Tennessee median age:||39.3 years|
Zip codes: 37709.
Blaine city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $103,027 (it was $70,900 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $626.
- White alone - 1,806 (97.3%)
- Black alone - 16 (0.9%)
- Hispanic - 17 (0.9%)
- Two or more races - 15 (0.8%)
- Asian alone - 2 (0.1%)
|Any info to offer on blaine please?? (10 replies)|
|Why the crime in La Follette? (23 replies)|
|Looking for a small safe town in Tennessee to raise our kids (11 replies)|
|Confused about Knoxville (8 replies)|
|Gatlinburg/Sevierville visiting suggestions (18 replies)|
|Tell me about Seymour (7 replies)|
Latest news from Blaine, TN collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (24.5%), English (13.9%), Irish (11.5%), German (10.0%), Scottish (4.1%), Dutch (1.7%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1978
Elevation: 937 feet
Land area: 8.82 square miles.
Population density: 210 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Blaine:
- High school or higher: 78.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Blaine city:
- Never married: 25.1%
- Now married: 52.7%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 10.5%
- Divorced: 10.6%
38 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Blaine, Tennessee as of May 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Blaine to the number of sex offenders is 620 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $647 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $540 (0.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Knoxville, TN (18.3 miles , pop. 173,890).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fayette, KY (137.1 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (447.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Corryton, TN (1.8 miles ), Luttrell, TN (2.1 miles ), Skaggston, TN (2.2 miles ), Plainview, TN (2.4 miles ), Mascot, TN (2.6 miles ), Strawberry Plains, TN (2.7 miles ), Gibbs, TN (2.9 miles ), Maynardville, TN (3.0 miles ).
Latitude: 36.15 N, Longitude: 83.70 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 865
|Crime rates in Blaine by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 297.6)||80.1||83.8||145.7||205.7||123.9||151.6||34.4||120.6||129.5||119.5||125.6|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Blaine detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||0.53|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (20%)
- Manufacturing (19%)
- Wholesale trade (11%)
- Construction (9%)
- Transportation and warehousing (9%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (5%)
- Retail trade (25%)
- Health care and social assistance (18%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (11%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (4%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in Blaine, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Blaine-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Tennessee state average. It is 45% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/21/1993, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 15.5 miles away from the Blaine city center injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/9/1988, a category F3 tornado 31.2 miles away from the city center killed one person and injured 15 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Blaine-area historical earthquake activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 28.4 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 142.7 miles away from Blaine center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 158.0 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 171.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 279.9 miles away from Blaine center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 138.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Grainger County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 5, Heavy Rains: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Fire: 1, Flash Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Gertrude Janeway - Last widow of a Union soldier..
Hospitals and medical centers near Blaine:
- WARIOTA HLTH CARE CTR (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; MAYNARDVILLE, TN)
- WILLOW RIDGE CARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; MAYNARDVILLE, TN)
- LIFE CARE CTR OF JEFFERSON CITY (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; JEFFERSON CITY, TN)
- LIFE CARE CENTER OF JEFFERSON CITY (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; JEFFERSON CITY, TN)
- JEFFERSON CITY HEALTH AND REHAB CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; JEFFERSON CITY, TN)
- ST MARY'S HOSPICE (Hospital, about 14 miles away; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- MERCY HOMECARE SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; KNOXVILLE, TN)
Airports located in Blaine:See details about airports located in Blaine, TN
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Blaine:
- The University of Tennessee-Knoxville (about 19 miles; Knoxville, TN; Full-time enrollment: 25,483)
- Walters State Community College (about 25 miles; Morristown, TN; FT enrollment: 4,359)
- Pellissippi State Community College (about 30 miles; Knoxville, TN; FT enrollment: 7,271)
- Lincoln Memorial University (about 30 miles; Harrogate, TN; FT enrollment: 3,706)
- University of the Cumberlands (about 48 miles; Williamsburg, KY; FT enrollment: 3,585)
- Tusculum College (about 53 miles; Greeneville, TN; FT enrollment: 2,070)
- Roane State Community College (about 55 miles; Harriman, TN; FT enrollment: 4,302)
Notable location: Blaine Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Blaine include: Block House Church (A), New Hope Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Davis Cemetery (1), McKinney Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Leas Creek (A), Frost Branch (B), Lea Creek (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Four Seasons Nursery (607 Rutledge Pike).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 107. This is significantly worse than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2000 was 12.6. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 5.3 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2000 was 2.45. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 5.3 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 5.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 24.9. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 4.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 10.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.3 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2009 was 0.0182. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 12.8 miles away from the city center.
(10.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Black residents, 27.8% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Blaine compared to Tennessee state average:
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Blaine (2011 data):
- Citizens Bank and Trust Company of Grainger County: Blaine Branch at 880 Rutledge Pike, branch established on 1972/08/24. Info updated 2010/06/14: Bank assets: $181.4 mil, Deposits: $148.7 mil, headquarters in Rutledge, TN, positive income, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Citizens Of Grainger County Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (85%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (8%)
- Wood (5%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Blaine city (based on Grainger County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 65.03%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||National Association of Free Will Baptists||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Grainger County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grainger County:||5.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$664|
|Police Protection - Officers||2||$4,264||$25,584||1||$638|
|Streets and Highways||1||$1,891||$22,692||1||$135|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||1||$788|
|Totals for Government||4||$7,922||$23,766||4||$2,225|
Blaine government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - General: $303,000 ($163.25)
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $95,000 ($51.19)
Solid Waste Management: $38,000 ($20.47)
Financial Administration: $26,000 ($14.01)
Parks & Recreation: $19,000 ($10.24)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $183,000 ($98.60)
Blaine government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $20,000 ($10.78)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $303,000 ($163.25)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $79,000 ($42.56)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $29,000 ($15.63)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $45,000 ($24.25)
- Tax - Public Utilities: $2,000 ($1.08)
6.38% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($31,959 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hamblen County, TN||1.11% ($23,975 average AGI)|
|from Knox County, TN||1.04% ($30,618)|
|from Jefferson County, TN||0.73% ($28,170)|
6.25% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,520 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Blaine:
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WNOX (990 AM; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN)
- WVLZ (1180 AM; daytime; 10 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: KIRKLAND WIRELESS BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WRJZ (620 AM; 5 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TENNESSEE MEDIA ASSOCIATES, INC)
- WQBB (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; POWELL, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WMEN (760 AM; daytime; 2 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: THOMAS MOFFIT JR.)
- WSEV (930 AM; 5 kW; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WMTN (1300 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN)
- WCRK (1150 AM; 5 kW; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: RADIO ACQUISITION CORP.)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WATO (1290 AM; 5 kW; OAK RIDGE, TN)
- WLIK (1270 AM; 5 kW; NEWPORT, TN; Owner: WLIK, INC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Blaine:
- WIMZ-FM (103.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMM., CORP.)
- WEZG (99.3 FM; JEFFERSON CITY, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE RADIO GROUP, L.P.)
- WUOT (91.9 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE)
- WOKI-FM (100.3 FM; OAK RIDGE, TN; Owner: OAK RIDGE FM, INC.)
- WJXB-FM (97.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WIVK-FM (107.7 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WWST (102.1 FM; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WRMX-FM (106.7 FM; NORRIS, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WYLV (89.1 FM; ALCOA, TN; Owner: FOOTHILLS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDVX (89.9 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNITIES COMMUNI CORP.)
- WCTU (105.9 FM; TAZEWELL, TN; Owner: STAIR COMPANY, INC)
- WMIK-FM (92.7 FM; MIDDLESBORO, KY; Owner: GATEWAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMXK (94.1 FM; MORRISTOWN, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WYFC (95.3 FM; CLINTON, TN; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WJBZ-FM (96.3 FM; SEYMOUR, TN; Owner: SEYMOUR COMMUNICATIONS)
- WKHT (104.5 FM; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WBGQ (100.7 FM; BULLS GAP, TN; Owner: CHEROKEE BROADCASTING)
- WJDT (106.5 FM; ROGERSVILLE, TN; Owner: C & S BROADCASTING)
- WYIL-FM (98.7 FM; OLIVER SPRINGS, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W237AR (95.3 FM; HAZELWOOD, ETC., NC; Owner: WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA PUBLIC RADIO)
TV broadcast stations around Blaine:
- WKOP-TV (Channel 15; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE PUBLIC COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WBIR-TV (Channel 10; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: GANNETT PACIFIC CORPORATION)
- WATE-TV (Channel 6; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WATE, G.P.)
- WVLT-TV (Channel 8; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: WVLT LICENSEE CORP.)
- WTNZ (Channel 43; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WEZK-LP (Channel 28; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WEEE-LP (Channel 32; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVLR (Channel 48; TAZEWELL, TN; Owner: VOLUNTEER CHRISTIAN TELEVISION, INC.)
- WDTT-LP (Channel 38; LENOIR CITY, TN; Owner: WORD OF GOD FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- W50CG (Channel 50; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- W50AB (Channel 50; HIAWASSEE, GA; Owner: GEORGIA PUBLIC TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION)
- W56CM (Channel 56; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- W46DC (Channel 46; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WJZC-LP (Channel 22; SEVIERVILLE, TN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- WFEM-LP (Channel 12; HEISKELL, ETC., TN; Owner: H. EARL MARLAR)
- Fatal accident count: 10
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 15
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 7
- Fatalities: 12
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 20
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 1
- Fatal accident count: 149
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 235
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 52
- Fatalities: 164
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 379
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 14
Total length: 4 meters (13ft)
Total costs: $703,000
Total average daily traffic: 2,530
Total average daily truck traffic: 197
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 4,048
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Blaine)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- INDIAN RIDGE BOOSTER, Booster On Indian Ridge Rd @ Intersection Of Nancy Ferry Rd (Lat: 36.138806 Lon: -83.664722), Type: Pole, Structure height: 16.7 m, Overall height: 18.2 m, Call Sign: WQPD886
Assigned Frequencies: 460.662 MHz
Grant Date: 04/18/2012, Expiration Date: 04/18/2022, Certifier: Jimmy L Langley
Registrant: Dexter Fortson Associates, Inc, 910 Ploof Dr, Hueytown, AL 35023, Phone: (205) 432-2700, Fax: (205) 491-4751, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- Blaine, 181 Chandler Drive (Lat: 36.142556 Lon: -83.692667), Type: Tower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 99.1 m, Call Sign: WPRT636
Assigned Frequencies: 6585.00 MHz, 6625.00 MHz
Grant Date: 12/21/2010, Expiration Date: 01/24/2021, Certifier: John E Rooney
Registrant: Holland & Knight LLP, 800 17th Street, N.W., Suite #1100, Washington, DC 20006-3906, Phone: (202) 955-3000, Fax: (202) 955-5564, Email:
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:1
- Landing At River's Edge (Lat: 36.142500 Lon: -83.604167), Type: Building, Structure height: 310 m, Call Sign: WQIB412
Assigned Frequencies: 122.725 MHz
Grant Date: 12/18/2007, Expiration Date: 12/18/2017, Certifier: Wayne Mitchell
Registrant: Tailwater Properties, Inc., 325 Alpine Mountain Way, Pigeon Forge, TN 37863, Phone: (865) 368-0165, Fax: (865) 774-4670, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Blaine)
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: ALON A2 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 93 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C90 SERIES (95 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 6507Q , Serial Number: A-107, Year manufactured: 1966, Airworthiness Date: 02/11/1966
Registrant (Co-Owned): Stanley Thurman, Po Box 5, Blaine, TN 37709, Other Owners: Shirley Thurman
- Aircraft: WALKER TOMMY/FORTUNE RANDY STOL CH 701 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 912ULS (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 8701T , Serial Number: 7-5187, Year manufactured: 2010, Airworthiness Date: 02/25/2010
Registrant (Individual): Reported Sale, 1277 Little Valley Rd, Blaine, TN 37709
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
|Most common first names in Blaine, TN among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Blaine, TN among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Blaine, TN
- U-Haul: 1
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2015.