|Median resident age:||43.7 years|
|Pennsylvania median age:||40.1 years|
Zip codes: 15923.
Bolivar borough income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $80,204 (it was $51,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $806.
- White alone - 458 (98.5%)
- Hispanic - 4 (0.9%)
- Asian alone - 2 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.2%)
|Effects of conceivable municipal government consolidation on the population of various boroughs (50 replies)|
|If Western PA county lines were originally drawn different... (15 replies)|
|The Paris Of Appalachia (147 replies)|
|Tornado Watch for Westmoreland and Fayette Counties (6 replies)|
|pittsburgh to latrobe (28 replies)|
Latest news from Bolivar, PA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (27.4%), Irish (17.7%), Italian (9.0%), Polish (7.1%), United States (5.7%), English (4.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 11/25/1863
Elevation: 1040 feet
Land area: 0.18 square miles.
Population density: 2,503 people per square mile(average).
For population 25 years and over in Bolivar:
- High school or higher: 91.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.9%
- Unemployed: 19.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 34.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bolivar borough:
- Never married: 22.7%
- Now married: 57.5%
- Separated: 6.9%
- Widowed: 7.7%
- Divorced: 5.2%
2 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Pennsylvania and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Bolivar, Pennsylvania as of May 05, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Bolivar to the number of sex offenders is 115 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,091 (1.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $1,068 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pittsburgh, PA (43.6 miles , pop. 334,563).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (213.4 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: New Florence borough, PA (2.0 miles ), Black Lick, PA (2.4 miles ), Blairsville borough, PA (2.5 miles ), Seward borough, PA (2.6 miles ), Millwood, PA (2.7 miles ), Coral, PA (2.7 miles ), Armagh, PA (2.7 miles) , Graceton, PA (2.8 miles ).
Latitude: 40.39 N, Longitude: 79.15 W
Area code: 724
|Crime rates in Bolivar by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 285.5)||0.0||0.0||0.0||44.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Manufacturing (13%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Retail trade (7%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (37%)
- Retail trade (21%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Other services, except public administration (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Utilities (3%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Extraction workers (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Cashiers (14%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (10%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
Average climate in Bolivar, Pennsylvania
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Bolivar-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Pennsylvania state average. It is 31% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/3/1980, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 22.4 miles away from the Bolivar borough center injured 140 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 6/2/1998, a category F4 tornado 24.1 miles away from the borough center injured 5 people and caused $6 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Bolivar-area historical earthquake activity is near Pennsylvania state average. It is 85% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 99.9 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB) earthquake occurred 134.0 miles away from Bolivar center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 164.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/26/2001 at 03:03:20, a magnitude 4.4 (3.9 MB, 4.4 LG, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 137.2 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 297.8 miles away from Bolivar center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 348.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Westmoreland County (12) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Snowstorms: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Bolivar:
- THE CARING HEART INC (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; HOMER CITY, PA)
- BETHLEN COMMUNITIES HOME HEALTH SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; LIGONIER, PA)
- LAURELWOOD CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; JOHNSTOWN, PA)
- BETHLEN HM OF THE HUNGARIAN RF (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; LIGONIER, PA)
- LUTHERAN HOME AT JOHNSTOWN, THE (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; JOHNSTOWN, PA)
- PRESBYTERIAN HOME OF GREATER JOHNSTOWN (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; JOHNSTOWN, PA)
- HIRAM G ANDREWS CNTR (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; JOHNSTOWN, PA)
Amtrak stations near Bolivar:
- 13 miles: JOHNSTOWN (47 WALNUT ST.) . Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 14 miles: LATROBE (329 KCKINLEY AVE.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, full-service food facilities, call for taxi service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bolivar:
- Wyo Tech-Blairsville (about 6 miles; Blairsville, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,602)
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania-Main Campus (about 16 miles; Indiana, PA; FT enrollment: 14,471)
- University of Pittsburgh-Johnstown (about 19 miles; Johnstown, PA; FT enrollment: 2,815)
- Seton Hill University (about 23 miles; Greensburg, PA; FT enrollment: 2,167)
- Westmoreland County Community College (about 25 miles; Youngwood, PA; FT enrollment: 4,669)
- Saint Francis University (about 29 miles; Loretto, PA; FT enrollment: 2,636)
- Pennsylvania State University-Penn State Altoona (about 41 miles; Altoona, PA; FT enrollment: 3,656)
Notable location: Bolivar Volunteer Fire Company (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Creek: Tubmill Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 106. This is significantly worse than average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2012 was 0.409. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 13.8 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 8.53. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 13.3 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 3.80. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 9.8 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 25.4. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 13.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 21.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.3 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 10.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.8 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2009 was 0.0476. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 13.3 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Bolivar and their reported violations in the past:THE REAL MCCOYS (Population served: 100, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- 4 regular monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in Bolivar that have no violations reported:
- MOUNTAIN PALACE RESTAURANT (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(16.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This borough:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
6 people in hospitals or wards for drug/alcohol abuse in 2000
5 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
Bolivar compared to Pennsylvania state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (81%)
- Electricity (8%)
- Wood (5%)
- Coal or coke (2%)
- No fuel used (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Bolivar borough (based on Westmoreland County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 64.19%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Presbyterian Church (USA)||United Church of Christ|
|Name||Christian and Missionary Alliance||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Jewish||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Westmoreland County:||1.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||2.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.09 / 10,000 pop.|
|Westmoreland County:||0.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pennsylvania:||0.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Westmoreland County:||3.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.79 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||3||$204||$816||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||9||$1,650||$2,200||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||0||$0||12||$7,689|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||5||$2,289|
|Totals for Government||12||$1,854||$1,854||17||$9,978|
Bolivar government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Central Staff Services: $22,000 ($48.25)
Regular Highways: $16,000 ($35.09)
Financial Administration: $6,000 ($13.16)
Police Protection: $5,000 ($10.96)
General Public Buildings: $2,000 ($4.39)
Judicial and Legal Services: $2,000 ($4.39)
- Other Capital Outlay - Police Protection: $4,000 ($8.77)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $16,000 ($35.09)
Bolivar government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $3,000 ($6.58)
General Revenue, NEC: $2,000 ($4.39)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $12,000 ($26.32)
- Tax - Property: $27,000 ($59.21)
Individual Income: $17,000 ($37.28)
NEC: $5,000 ($10.96)
Other Selective Sales: $1,000 ($2.19)
Bolivar government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $80,000 ($175.44)
3.47% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,673 average adjusted gross income)
0.01% of residents moved from foreign countries ($307 average AGI)
Westmoreland County: 0.01% Pennsylvania average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Allegheny County, PA||1.24% ($46,444 average AGI)|
|from Fayette County, PA||0.26% ($35,695)|
|from Washington County, PA||0.16% ($36,992)|
3.66% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($39,432 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved to foreign countries ($170 average AGI)
Westmoreland County: 0.03% Pennsylvania average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Bolivar:
- WCCS (1160 AM; 10 kW; HOMER CITY, PA; Owner: RENDA RADIO, INC.)
- WLYE (850 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- KDKA (1020 AM; 50 kW; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WVSC (990 AM; 10 kW; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WAVL (910 AM; 5 kW; APOLLO, PA; Owner: EVANGEL HEIGHTS ASSEMBLY OF GOD)
- WKHB (620 AM; 6 kW; IRWIN, PA; Owner: BROADCAST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WWVA (1170 AM; 53 kW; WHEELING, WV; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WYSN (1330 AM; 5 kW; SOMERSET, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WCRO (1230 AM; 1 kW; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: GREATER JOHNSTOWN SCHOOL DISTRICT)
- WZSK (1040 AM; daytime; 10 kW; EVERETT, PA; Owner: NEW MILLENNIUM COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WQTW (1570 AM; 1 kW; LATROBE, PA; Owner: L. STANLEY WALL)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WNTJ (1490 AM; 1 kW; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Bolivar:
- WQEJ (89.7 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WQED MULTIMEDIA)
- WFRJ (88.9 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- WKYE (95.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF JOHNSTOWN, INC.)
- WQKK (92.1 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WLCY (106.3 FM; BLAIRSVILLE, PA; Owner: LONGO MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WMTZ (96.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGLU (99.1 FM; EBENSBURG, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WMAJ-FM (104.9 FM; HOLLIDAYSBURG, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF PA, LLC)
- W294AE (106.7 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WBXQ (94.7 FM; CRESSON, PA; Owner: SOUNDS GOOD, INC.)
- WCCL (101.7 FM; CENTRAL CITY, PA; Owner: DAME BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WAYC (100.9 FM; BEDFORD, PA; Owner: CESSNA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBVE (107.5 FM; BEDFORD, PA; Owner: CESSNA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- W267AC (101.3 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN NETWORK)
- WOGG (94.9 FM; OLIVER, PA; Owner: KEYMARKET LICENSES, LLC)
- WPCL (97.3 FM; NORTHERN CAMBRIA, PA; Owner: HE'S ALIVE INCORPORATED)
- WFGY (98.1 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: FOREVER OF PA, LLC)
- WQMU (92.5 FM; INDIANA, PA; Owner: RMS MEDIA MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- WPRR (100.1 FM; ALTOONA, PA; Owner: VITAL LICENSES, LLC)
- WKYE-FM1 (95.5 FM; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WINSTON RADIO CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Bolivar:
- WJAC-TV (Channel 6; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: WPXI-TV HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WLLS-LP (Channel 49; INDIANA, PA; Owner: LARRY L. SCHRECONGOST)
- WNPA (Channel 19; JEANNETTE, PA; Owner: VIACOM STATIONS GROUP OF PITTSBURGH INC.)
- WTAE-TV (Channel 4; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: WTAE HEARST-ARGYLE TV, INC. (CA CORP.))
- WCWB (Channel 22; PITTSBURGH, PA; Owner: WCWB LICENSEE, LLC)
- WPCB-TV (Channel 40; GREENSBURG, PA; Owner: CORNERSTONE TELEVISION, INC.)
- WWCP-TV (Channel 8; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Owner: PEAK MEDIA OF PA LICENSEE LLC)
Bolivar fatal accident list:
Total length: 2 meters (7ft)
Total costs: $1,000
Total average daily traffic: 1,116
Total average daily truck traffic: 44
Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic: 1,403
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:4
- 3rd & Washington Sts (Lat: 40.395917 Lon: -79.149194), Call Sign: KXA206, Licensee ID: L00107844
Assigned Frequencies: 33.5200 MHz, 33.7000 MHz, 33.9400 MHz
Grant Date: 04/09/2004, Expiration Date: 06/07/2014
Registrant: Bolivar Volunteer Fire Co, Bolivar, PA 15923, Phone: (412) 676-4714
- Municipal Bldg La 64190 .25 Mi Nw Int Pa Rt 711 (Lat: 40.347861 Lon: -79.134472), Call Sign: KYY985
Assigned Frequencies: 155.925 MHz
Grant Date: 10/22/2003, Expiration Date: 01/17/2014
Registrant: Springer Communications, 165 Bridges Rd., Bolivar, PA 15923, Phone: (724) 238-2383, Email:
- Lat: 40.394833 Lon: -79.151361, Call Sign: WQKI324
Assigned Frequencies: 153.020 MHz, 152.900 MHz, 151.685 MHz, 151.715 MHz, 151.925 MHz
Grant Date: 05/29/2009, Expiration Date: 05/29/2019, Certifier: Pat Deveau
Registrant: Gasfrac Energy Services, 104 Fortune Drive, Bolivar,, PA 15923, Phone: (403) 506-7108, Fax: (403) 340-8236, Email:
- MOBILE L1, Lat: 40.396667 Lon: -79.148806, Call Sign: WQOK389, Licensee ID: L00008014
Assigned Frequencies: 160.800 MHz, 161.055 MHz, 161.130 MHz
Grant Date: 10/25/2011, Expiration Date: 10/25/2021, Certifier: Jerry R Celio
Registrant: Norfolk Southern Railway Company, 1200 Peachtree St, Ne Box 123, Atlanta, GA 30309, Phone: (404) 582-6224, Fax: (404) 582-6209, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: N3VHQ
Grant Date: 05/05/1995, Expiration Date: 05/05/2005, Cancellation Date: 05/08/2007
Registrant: Brandon M Yeager, Rd 1 Box 382, Bolivar, PA 15923
- Call Sign: WB3DNC
Grant Date: 12/27/1988, Expiration Date: 12/27/1998, Cancellation Date: 12/28/2000
Registrant: Arthur L Garland, Rd 1 Box 76, Bolivar, PA 15923
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: GRUMMAN AMERICAN AVN. CORP. AA-5A (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 26179 , Serial Number: AA5A0468, Year manufactured: 1977, Airworthiness Date: 10/04/1977
Registrant (Individual): Ronald T Powell, 380 Tantlinger Hollow Rd, Bolivar, PA 15923
- Aircraft: AERONCA 7AC (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR A&C65 SERIES (65 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 84966 , Serial Number: 7AC-3689, Year manufactured: 1946, Airworthiness Date: 10/29/1955
Registrant (Individual): Gerald A King, 198 Knupp Rd, Bolivar, PA 15923
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 12
- Hazardous Condition: 5
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Bolivar
|Most common first names in Bolivar, PA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Bolivar, PA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Bolivar on our top lists:
- #3 on the list of "Top 100 safest cities (lowest city-data.com crime index)"
- #20 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating to other counties in 2006"
- #25 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest lead air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that keep firearms around their homes"
- #38 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Particulate Matter (PM2.5) Annual air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"
- #59 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest percentage of residents that smoked 100+ cigarettes in their lives"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.